1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Thoughts about the Defense

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by xwalker, Jul 11, 2014.

1. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

3,383 Messages
    1,156 Likes Received
    I just read Garrett is coaching the defense more than Marinelli this year - what is your reaction?
  2. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

37,515 Messages
    3,819 Likes Received
    Throwing some of us a bone, huh. Works for me. The defense esp with a few more critical injuries could sunk or with a bit of health could be a surprise. Color me optimistic about Wilcox, Crawford, Bass, and a little with the McClain's and more with Melton.

Won't say we'll win but if decently healthy we will be in ball games more often than not.
  3. jobberone

37,515 Messages
    3,819 Likes Received
    As my wife would say in at times broken English.....don't believe you!; always with a smile, too.
  4. McLovin

3,383 Messages
    1,156 Likes Received
    On Jason Garrett taking a more active role with the defense
    Barry Church:
    This offseason, I feel like he's been over there - shoot, more than the defensive coaches. Going through our coverages and going through our defense to get a better understanding of it. He's becoming more of a defensive coach. That's a hard thing to say because he's a quarterback.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/da...oys-defender-who-s-had-the-best-offseason.ece

This could implode the board in the event the defense is good. Marinelli/Garrett will become the Finkel/Einhorn debate of 2014

ON the other hand, my vote is "Marinelli" gets synonymous with 0-16 if its a bad year
  5. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,457 Messages
    8,347 Likes Received
    I'm hopeful for Wilcox, Crawford, Lawrence, Bishop, maybe Gardner. I think Melton needs a year to get back to what he was.

I'm also hopeful that Bruce Carter can show that 2013 was an aberration and that Kyle Wilber can be a decent starter.

Other than that, I got nothing.
    jobberone and waving monkey like this.
  6. Risen Star

21,457 Messages
    8,347 Likes Received
    A head coach becoming familiar with his still new defense isn't the same thing as coaching it more than the coordinator. I don't buy that. This is Rod's ~heads bowed......moment of silence~.....defense.
    waving monkey likes this.
  7. McLovin

3,383 Messages
    1,156 Likes Received
    That's fair - but apparently they have a new scheme to better use the CBs to their strengths
  8. Risen Star

21,457 Messages
    8,347 Likes Received
    I eagerly anticipate this CB led defense.
  9. radioactivecowboy88

radioactivecowboy88 Active Member

496 Messages
    211 Likes Received
    He didn't say individual players wouldn't be decent. He said the defense won't be good.
  10. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,825 Messages
    1,767 Likes Received
    I agree. IF, everything falls in to plan, we might be able to get a middle of the pack defense. What does that say about what happens if everything doesn't go 100% as planned? We could see a Wade Phillips like collapse.
  11. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Sounds like that Bruce Rodgers guy gets it.

I mean, I hope Church wasn't speaking literally and Garrett already understood his defense's coverages. How could he not?
  12. jobberone

37,515 Messages
    3,819 Likes Received
    I think there is too much concern about Melton but all could be right. Not sure about Lawrence whom I think will surprise with some sacks and pressure but will play inconsistently; which is normal for a rookie. I'm fine with Crawford and Bass although I seem to be the only one on the Bass bandwagon. Wilcox a big maybe. I don't know Bishop or Gardner although many seem high on both particularly Bishop. I also don't have a good feel for Carter although I suspect he will play well but that's may just be gas I'm feeling.
  13. jobberone

37,515 Messages
    3,819 Likes Received
    Garrett is going to know most defenses in the league since he goes against them. But he's not going to know all the ins and outs. I applaud his willingness to get the whole enchilada.
  14. jobberone

37,515 Messages
    3,819 Likes Received
    I hope the latter isn't going to happen. I've seen a coach or two go 0 for and turn out okay.
  15. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Why not? He should.
  16. Risen Star

21,457 Messages
    8,347 Likes Received
    You have? To my knowledge Rod ~head bowed/moment of silence~ is the only one to accomplish that feat.

I think the way the media presents that when they mention it is unfair. They had killer nicknames that year.
  17. McLovin

3,383 Messages
    1,156 Likes Received
    Landry yr1 I assume is the reference
  18. jobberone

37,515 Messages
    3,819 Likes Received
    Because he isn't going to know as much as the defensive coaches particularly Kiffin, Marinelli, or the DB coaches. I sure as hell hope they know more about the D than the HC or OC.
  19. jobberone

37,515 Messages
    3,819 Likes Received
    Tom Landry didn't win his first year. That's off the top of my head.
  20. Risen Star

21,457 Messages
    8,347 Likes Received
    Yes. Rod is the only one to go 0-16.

Tell me, if Rod was coaching the Redskins defense would you be taking about how you saw some relic coach go 0-fer and turn out okay or would you simply be laughing that the 0-16 Detroit loser is in D.C.?