1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Featured Thoughts after watching it on DVR for the first time

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by fanfromvirginia, Nov 3, 2013.

1. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    I kind of agree here.. i mean im not saying its not likely we could have gotten a few more turnovers had he been forced to pass more, just saying its also likely that he burns this defense for more yardage/points.
  2. IrishAnto

IrishAnto Well-Known Member

1,091 Messages
    171 Likes Received
    We'll never know for sure :)
  3. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    I'm just very sour on this defense with all the historic performances we've given up.

For all the talent we have on this defense, its embarassing to see the yardage totals given up every week. Even the weakest teams seem to have no trouble sustaining drives against us all game long.
    stasheroo likes this.
  4. IrishAnto

IrishAnto Well-Known Member

1,091 Messages
    171 Likes Received
    I agree that for quite a number of years the defense (whether under Parcells, Phillips or Garrett) has given up too many yards, at least this years version is generating turnovers (and scoring) which is not something previous incarnations have managed to do (even when we had 59 sacks).

The offense just hasn't taken full advantage of it so far.

However to say "all the talent on this defense" is frankly wrong.

When you actually look at what we have available to put on the field of play recently, it’s mostly low round draft picks and street free agents many(most) of whom weren’t on the team for the first game of the season let alone for OTA’s and training camp.

Frankly it’s a minor miracle they do a well as they do i.e. give the team a realistic chance to win.
  5. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,786 Messages
    643 Likes Received
    how do you know that? unless your sitting in the meetings we have no idea. Its completely possible that Jason has very little input in actual plays being called and adjustments being made during game. I highly doubt Callahan would accept that position as token gesture while Jason is secretly still running offense. Maybe just maybe....it's not the coaching that's is failing on the field.
  6. dfense

dfense Well-Known Member

2,778 Messages
    334 Likes Received
    Here's what I saw:

JG isn't calling the plays. Maybe he should again. Callahan isn't very aggresive and same ol same ol as far as throwing a 2 yard pass on 3rd and 3.

Carr played better after getting roasted last week. However, watching him stand at the goal line with his hands in his pockets on Ponder's TD run bothered me. It's a carpet Carr, you won't get any grass stains on you if you stick your head in there and get a shot on the QB.

Run defense was not very good. The team does have OLB's right? I just didn't see any whenever Peterson ran wide and gained chunks. The middle of the line was much better stopping him.
  7. btcutter

btcutter Well-Known Member

2,803 Messages
    248 Likes Received

Run defense must start and ends with the DL. Sure the LB's should shoot gaps and make plays but when your DL was getting dominated and allowing their OL to get to 2nd level it makes the jobs for the LBs very difficult. Yesterday Viking continues to expose our major weakness (DL).
  8. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

5,010 Messages
    1,422 Likes Received
    I've been preaching it for a long time dude. If you can't see a problem with it then you are like an old blind dog. But hey go ahead and think everything is Rosie and peachy
  9. Iago33

Iago33 Well-Known Member

1,460 Messages
    57 Likes Received
    I wasn't aware I thought everything was rosy and peachy. I don't think our QB progression is the problem, though. You don't really need to post the same thing in every thread.
  10. pugilist

pugilist dwarecwby311

2,719 Messages
    841 Likes Received
    they're both to blame. the buck stops with Garrett, if he doesn't like a play that is being relayed to Romo he has the power to change it
  11. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

5,010 Messages
    1,422 Likes Received
    You missed the point but it's expected. I will post whatever I want as it pertains to this offense and how the scheme and philosophy has ruined Romo and the run game. If you don't like it that's not my problem. If you feel it's wrong back it up with something substantial. There problem solved obviously you are happy with the scheme and design. I'm not and haven't been for years. We've wasted Tony Romo's career
  12. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

39,733 Messages
    1,943 Likes Received
    Objectively? If you'd bother to use your eyes and not read the writing you will see EVERYTHING objectively. From your OWN eyes, have you seen the offense move the ball and score early a lot in the first half in the last several games? I know you're out to protect someone in particular on the offense, but this was a lame attempt to do that. Try again.
  13. strongarmqb

strongarmqb Member

60 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    We play to the level of the competition. They seemed down for this game. Looking ahead to New Orleans a little bit I think
  14. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,394 Messages
    1,424 Likes Received
    so you don't want to understand the entire picture, just find a single point of blame.

got it.
  15. pugilist

pugilist dwarecwby311

2,719 Messages
    841 Likes Received
    first of all, i said BOTH were to blame. there is nothing singular about that statement

second, what is there to understand in your point? the entire picture is just as I said, Callahan calls the play (from Garrett's playbook), that play gets sent to Romo, Garrett hears the play via his headset.
    from that point Garrett has every opportunity to change it (whether it be from a passing play to a running play and vice versa). Not only is it part of his role as a head coach to make sure everyone is on the same page as far as playcalls are concerned but they are HIS plays.

Garrett, Callahan, and Romo (to a certain degree) seem to always be on different wavelengths and it severely diminishes the offense's effectiveness in both facets of the game
  16. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,394 Messages
    1,424 Likes Received
    "the buck stops with garrett".

single point to blame.
  17. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,730 Messages
    623 Likes Received
    8 dropped passes and lack of separation by his receivers might have had a bit to do with it I'm thinking.
  18. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,891 Messages
    2,361 Likes Received
  19. fanfromvirginia

fanfromvirginia Inconceivable!

4,014 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    Sorry I didn't respond to your earlier post. I'll do it here. You make a good point. Yes, Callahan has to share significant part of the blame but for me this make it up as you go along/take what the D gives you approach looks too much like what JG ran as OC and head coach calling the plays. Switching out Callahan wouldn't affect things much. Switching out JG would.