1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Thoughts from 5 days out...

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by CowboysLaw87, Apr 21, 2012.

1. CowboysLaw87

CowboysLaw87 Active Member

598 Messages
    216 Likes Received
    Here we are. 5 days away. The trend recently on some guys has not been beneficial for us (Cox/Barron rise). My thoughts...

- It's looking more and more like Brockers is the guy. Cox is going to be long gone, and Barron is so red hot and I've heard so many team love him that it's unlikely someone hasn't snatched him up by 14. I do think that Jerry and the rest of the war room is tunnel visioned on defense, so it will be a defensive player over DeCastro. That player is most likely to be Brockers IMO.

- Imagine this... there may not be a single guy who would be considered a 3-4 OLB off the board by 14. Rushers are an incredibly premium position, we have a need at SOLB (Spencer's possibly imminent departure) and yet I still don't know if a single one of them is worthy of 14.

- On a related note, I've done almost a 180 on Melvin Ingram. I'm not proud of it, because I don't consider myself a flip-flopper or an indecisive person, but I just can't get a feel for him. He's my 2012 NFL Draft kryptonite. On the one hand, he was my dream scenario a month ago to come in and be a jack of all trades disruptive force and add a dimension to our pass rush. Now I think he'll be somewhat limited and not an ideal full-time SOLB. Frustrating.

- What do I want to do if Barron is off the board? 1) DeCastro, 2) trade down. What will we do? Brockers IMO. I don't really consider Brockers a much better player than say a Kirkpatrick, Hightower, McClellin, Branch, Mercilus, etc. who we could move down into the 20's and pick up perhaps an extra top 60 pick and still get. We have so many hole (SOLB, FS, DE, OG, C, TE2, WR3) that an additional high pick would be money. Again, I'd rather Barron or DeCastro... but a trade down into the late teens/early 20's isn't far behind.

- Can anyone else not believe how fluid and unsettled this thing is in the top 10 just 5 days before the event!? Actually kind of cool when you step away from the anxiety of it all :)
  2. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received

I don't disagree with any of it. I really don't disagree about Ingram. i said a few days ago I think I have splinter in my butt from sitting on the fence with him after I used to be his biggest fan.

IMO, if we are left with DeCastro and Brockers as our options I would prefer to roll the dice, move down and if we can still get DeCastro fine, if not Whitney or McClellin are grand options.
  3. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,656 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    Well I don't get the feeling yet that noone will be left worth taking. If Cox and Barron go earlier, Coples, DeCastro, and others will probably be available.

Not exactly in love with Brokers, and not sold you can all of sudden learn to pass rush, so the pick would probably make me neither excited or disappointed.
  4. CowboysLaw87

CowboysLaw87 Active Member

598 Messages
    216 Likes Received
    So you do consider Mercilus and McClellin grand option? I just don't see the ability to anchor (thin frame) for Mercilus, and don't see Ware-like explosion from him either. He seems like a WOLB only guy, and not an elite one at that. And I really like McClellin but how much of his value is due to fitting anyone's scheme? If he can play a few different spots for you, awesome, but I'd like our 1st round pick to be a bonafide upper echelon guy at a certain spot. Do you see him as an overall sure upgrade from Spencer?
  5. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,234 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    So at 14 you would pass on DeCastro and trade down?
  6. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I do after a trade down as I stated. Not at 14 but if Dallas finds themselves in the 20's I think they are great options.
  7. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Can I get back to you with that answer? lol

There are several things on the fence about in this draft, Ingram, trading down..

I really am not leaning one way or another right now if that's the scenario.
  8. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,996 Messages
    1,090 Likes Received
    I don't think Brockers is in the picture. If Cox and Barron are gone, DeCastro is the guy.
  9. cowboy_ron

4,234 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    :laugh2: I hear ya...I'm torn on DeCastro, McClellan, and Mercilis at 14
  10. NeonDeion21

NeonDeion21 Well-Known Member

2,092 Messages
    443 Likes Received
    I think Brockers is definitively an option. He seems to be the sort of guy Garrett and JJ want to target. He is young, has a ton of upside, but is raw. In that regard he is very similar to Tyron Smith. You will have your ups and downs with Brockers, but Smith had them too (high # of penalties). If you are patient, by the end of the year or the end of year 2, you will have a stud on your hands.

Another thing to consider, Charlie Cassely and a few others have mentioned him as one of the "safer" picks in the draft because he can come in right away and at least be solid against the run. Take it for what it's worth.
  11. theogt

43,996 Messages
    1,090 Likes Received
    Tyron Smith wasn't worth a 2nd round pick, much less a top 10 pick. If that's what they see in him we're screwed. This guy is Spears part 2. Good player but not worth a first round pick in the slightest.
  12. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Goodbye, credibility!

Hello, Insanity!
  13. cowboy_ron

4,234 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  14. theogt

43,996 Messages
    1,090 Likes Received
    Haha. I was thinking of Tyson Jackson. Not sure why I got the two names mixed up. I just had LSU DE/DTs on the brain. That and the similar first name.

Whoops! :D
  15. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Ah...now THAT name I can agree with. :laugh2:
  16. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,500 Messages
    155 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  17. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Brockers isn't in the picture at 14.

If I'm GM DC is my #1 target with Barron #2. #3 is trade down.

I don't think we will see any big suprises sitting at 14.

We do our best work moving up vs down and also targeting injury sliders. Not sure who they are all this year....Crick, Broyles and maybe Konz to a certain extent.

I'd be interested in moving up from 45 to see who I could get bottom of one. I'd also be interested to seeing how far our 3 and 4 packaged together gets us.
  18. theogt

43,996 Messages
    1,090 Likes Received
    Yeah, I'm sure that read odd. No way someone can compare Brockers to a Tyron Smith. Smith should have been a top 3 pick. An elite player.
  19. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Problem is a simple trade down as a solution is not a guaranteed viable option. There is a dead zone in this draft from 9-18, not a lot of teams are going to be drooling trying to move up to #14.
  20. NeonDeion21

NeonDeion21 Well-Known Member

2,092 Messages
    443 Likes Received
    Very true, unless a player falls such as a Blackmon or Tannehill. I could also see a team moving up to get Gilmore if he happens to fall to us.