1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Thoughts on Reggie Smith:

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by TEUFELI, Apr 16, 2008.

1. TEUFELI

TEUFELI New Member

402 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    His stock has plummeted after he played his last football game. But he was a good defensive back, and a playmaker for OU. He was injured for a while, and his pro day wasn't that bad, but it kinda got lost in the hubub of the Malcolm Kelly experience.

If we go RB/trade down, or WR/RB, or any combo where we dont take a db in the 1st (for lack of value reasons or whatever)...do we consider Reggie in the 2nd. A versatile guy who can play nickel, and really be a talented platoon player if you will for our secondary. I think he is a talented safety.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/interviews/reggiesmith/reggiesmith.html
  2. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy Well-Known Member

32,176 Messages
    151 Likes Received
    I am sure our scouts have checked him out .......he will not go overlooked.
  3. kevwun

kevwun New Member

447 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He ran really slow, didn't he?
  4. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    I always thought he looked like a talented player when I saw OU, but some OU fans have said he's lazy and doesn't have a great motor -- big red flag.

(Is Dallas gonna hate me now?)

There's a good interview with him I read on another board where he gave good answers and seemed to have a good attitude, though... Maybe I'll see if I can find it.

Also, GoldenRichards83 can tell you about how he talked to Bobby Jack Wright and his coach wasn't too high on him.
  5. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,980 Messages
    988 Likes Received
    I think he's going to end up at safety rather than CB in the NFL.
  6. ddh33

ddh33 Active Member

4,934 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Just to be clear, you are saying that Bobby Jack Wright didn't like Reggie?

All I ever heard about Reggie was positive. As an OU fan, I thought he was a little overrated by fans, but the coaches always seemed to love him. Actually, Bobby Jack Wright is a guy who isn't as highly thought of by fans...

Not that any of this matters too much. I was just curious.

As for Reggie's fit in Dallas, I think it could work out alright. I'm still not completely sure what his position is, but I think he has the versatility to do a lot of things well, even if he isn't great at any one thing. You need guys like that on your team.
  7. Chocolate Lab

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Yes, here is what was said...

BTW, here is the interview I was talking about... Thanks to Slate for the find.

8. ddh33

ddh33 Active Member

4,934 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Well, at least I can understand where Bobby Jack is coming from on that. Like I said, I'm not completely sure where Reggie fits. Doesn't mean he wasn't a good guy to have on your college team though...

And I completely agree about Curtis Lofton. That guy is a beast.
  9. TEUFELI

TEUFELI New Member

402 Messages
    0 Likes Received

That's actually the interview link I provided when I started the thread. But thanks for the help.

I like him mostly b/c if we got Henry/Newman/Jones at cb, and Roy/Hamlin at safety, I think he provides us needed depth should/when one of those goes down. Ideally, we trade our 28 for 2 of ATL's 2nd's, and then we take him with our original late 2nd...
  10. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Why are you calling me out in a post bro? WTH?

Make your post and move on. There is no need to get personal w/ me. ***?
  11. Chocolate Lab

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Oh good grief. It was just a joke based on the way you've posted about Kelly.

Boomer! :rolleyes:
  12. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received

My appologies then. Bad dad. 4 of my co-workers were just discovered dead w/ 1 tech barely clinging to life on the side of Sheep Mountain.

I hate flying to jobs in choppers.
  13. Chocolate Lab

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Ugh, sorry about that, man. :(
  14. alancdc

alancdc Active Member

3,295 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I thought he was a pretty solid outfielder for the Dodgers back in the late 70's.
  15. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,708 Messages
    1,919 Likes Received
    I cant believe how im showing OU players love but Reggie Smith is a good player.

He can also save you a roster spot because he can play corner or Free Safety.

His 40 times were bogus. He is fast and athletic. Hes also "ok" at returning punts.

I like his versatility and athleticism.
  16. NickZepp

NickZepp Well-Known Member

2,647 Messages
    167 Likes Received
    The problem with Reggie is how his game translates to the pros. At OU he was basically a shut down corner. One of the best OU's had in recent years. But with the zone OU plays, the corners don't really showcase being shut down guys unless blitzes are called. I'm not sure if he should have gone out this year.
  17. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    NO thanks! Dallas can do much better if that's the case... Draft DRC at 22 and Phillips at 28!