1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Three keys to victory

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Typhus, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Typhus

Typhus aka...golden

988 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    As long as Mcnabb and Westbrook are in the game, this team is dangerous.

Add to that our injury situation, with singleton gone and the secondary nicked, and this is the very definition of a trap game for the cowboys.

Keys to victory for the cowboys:

1. Going downfield early--we must set an aggressive tempo early. Shortening the game is fine, pounding the ball is fine, but for that to work, we have to take a couple of early downfield shots in order to keep Dawkins back in coverage.

2. Creative use of max protect--we've been doing a good job of using Witten and Campbell to help the tackles, but Johnson will be scheming around that. JJ and MB3 are both capable in pass protection, so we have to make the eagles' D wonder who will be part of the route package.

3. Shut down Westbrook in the passing game--philadelphia has yet to prove that they can beat someone on the ground, but their creative use of Westbrook has given teams fits. They'll be looking to exploit the Westbrook/Ware mismatch in the base 3-4, which will also serve to slow down the pass rush, especially later in the game. I think the best course of action for the cowboys is to come out in a base nickel, and use Williams in more of a linebacker role. This puts 4 guys on the base pass rush, including Ware in his natural position. and it limits the mismatches. I also suspect that we'll see Glenn starting at RCB, and Newman matched up against westbrook.
  2. Typhus

Typhus aka...golden

988 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    alright,, free donut to the first person to respond ..... sheesh,,
  3. dal0789

dal0789 New Member

592 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I have to agree with you Typhus.

(Wheres My Donut?)
  4. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    damn....can I get a cruller?

I don't care how we do it but I think we have to jump on them early...and they'll quit. That team has never had character.
  5. Typhus

Typhus aka...golden

988 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    On its way,, with or without sprinkles......:bang2:
  6. AtlCB

AtlCB Active Member

3,684 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I expect that Williams and a linebacker not named Ware will be covering Westbrook most of the day. I expect to see a very aggressive game plan in the first half - especially on defense. The Eagles wide receivers do not scare anybody and their starting TE might not even play.
  7. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

5,915 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    I think we'll run more since it's supposed to rain Monday. It will be rainy and probably in the high 40's come game time.
  8. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,641 Messages
    3,159 Likes Received

Cruller... good choice!

Yep, get up about 10-0 on them and then let them make mistakes as they try to get back into the game with their weakened passing attack.
  9. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received

Boston Creme was my first choice but someone beat me to it.

The Eagles are gutless. If we pound on them early, it's over.
  10. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,523 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    If you look at the games where our offense really sputtered (Wash, Oak, Seattle, NY), in 3 of the 4 we couldn't protect Bledsoe who was constantly harassed.

I don't think Philly can put a ton of points on the board right now without TO. That will be doubly so if LJ Smith can't play.
  11. Scotman

Scotman Member

861 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    This game scares me. They all do. I'm truly hoping we get up on them early. Increase that lead some in the middle of the game. And then pound them into utter submission at the end of the game.

I'd like to see a couple of offensive touchdowns a period. A few field goals here and there. Some defensive scoring. Maybe a safety of two. Couple of interceptions for scores. And maybe the special teams kick in a touchdown or two for good measure. We are playing Filly after all.

Is that really too much to ask?
  12. AmishCowboy

AmishCowboy if you ain't first, you're last

4,383 Messages
    66 Likes Received
    First, the weather around here on Monday is calling for Partly Cloudy skies, High of 58 and a chance of light showers, not the heavy rains some of you are thinking. Second, how about the Eagles injuries?. Fraley is now on IR, his replacement is getting his 1st NFL start. LJ Smith is Questionable with a Concussion (A Big loss if he can't go) Kalu and Kearse both have shoulder injuries. It sounds as though Kalu may miss this game. From what I hear Henry, Pile and JJ are going to play. :iggles: :trophy: :suxiggle: :disseags:
  13. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,523 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    JJ isn't on the injury report so he'll play.

I thought Pile and Henry were still listed as questionable as of today. I know the reports sound promising about them, but I'll be more comfortable when they are upgraded to probable.
  14. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,365 Messages
    1 Likes Received

You and me both........
  15. ghst187

ghst187 Well-Known Member

5,576 Messages
    143 Likes Received
    Lito Shepherd is a key.
    If we can abuse him like we did last time, we roll up points and TOP again.
    If he plays for vengence and plays well, could be a big difference maker.
  16. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,523 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    Shepperd has got a bad case of "toastitis". He is being exposed now like Mario Edwards was back in the 2nd half of the 2003 season.