1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Thursday Mid-Day Report

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Doomsday101, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,409 Messages
    1,881 Likes Received
    WHAT'S THE SCOOP?
    The first day of life after Quincy Carter went off without a hitch, the Cowboys breezing through a 95-minute practice in the morning. As expected, Vinny Testaverde took all the first-team snaps, while Tony Romo and Drew Henson shared the snaps with the backups. And at this point, head coach Bill Parcells said he was not interested in bringing in a veteran quarterback for backup purposes. Parcells wants to give Henson and Romo as many snaps as he can during this training camp, and not detract from his young quarterbacks' development.

Quick Shots:

The Cowboys unveiled their throw-back uniform to be worn in the Nov. 25 Thanksgiving Day game against the Chicago Bears. The uniform is a replica of the 1960-63 model the Cowboys wore in their early days. And this includes wearing the old white helmets with the blue star and the white pants - the first time in 41 years they will don the white helmet.
    Cornerback Jemeel Powell was working with the first-team defense Thursday, replacing Pete Hunter at right corner in what now has become a rotation, too.
    Kicker Billy Cundiff nailed all four of his field-goal attempts, ranging between 33 and 48 yards. Jonathan Ruffin had a rough day, missing three of four.
    Dat Nguyen exhibited his value in pass defense, picking off one Testaverde pass and deflecting another in the end zone that was nearly intercepted by Bradie James.
    On goal-line drills, Parcells chewed out Julius Jones for bouncing a run right outside. Parcells told him in no uncertain terms he had lost four yards by not running downhill.
    Evidently the advice sunk in, because two plays later Jones hit inside hard over right guard to score a touchdown, and spiked the ball in frustration, drawing some chiding remarks from DE Marcellus Wiley, who barked, "You mad? You mad? Bring me a cup of water."
    You Should've Seen:
    Vinny Testaverde hitting Randal Williams on a 25-yard skinny post during team drills for what would have been a touchdown. Testaverde came up throwing as soon as he hit his back foot on his drop and rifled the seam pass perfectly to Williams, who did a nice job of splitting two defenders on his cut. Impressive was how quick Testaverde had the ball coming out.

Who's Hot:
    Running back ReShard Lee was getting some snaps with the first-team offense, and he certainly qualified those quality snaps with some nifty runs. Lee appears quicker than last year, and is hitting the hole with authority. And evidently, this is not going unnoticed by the staff.

Who's Not:
    Quincy Carter, who else? Carter was released on Wednesday after apparently suffering another strike against the NFL's substance abuse policy. Teams had until 1 p.m. (PDT) to put in a waiver claim for the Cowboys' 16-game starting quarterback of last year. Carter would only cost a claiming team his $418,000 base salary.

Injury Update:
    DT Leo Carson, sprained knee (8-3), limited practice.
    Missed Practice:
    SS Darren Woodson, surgery to repair herniated disk (7-27) - out 6-8 weeks.
    C Gennaro DiNapoli, ankle stress fracture (June) - out one month.
    RB Erik Bickerstaff, surgery to repair torn Achilles - IR.
    Returned to Practice:
    (None)
    Transactions:
    QB Quincy Carter, released (8/4)
    LB Ryan Fowler, signed (8/4)
    WR James Newson, released (8/3)
    WR Brandon Middleton, signed (8/3)
    LB Ryan Fowler, worked out (8/3)
    OT Jacob Rogers, signed (7/30)
    WR Brandon Middleton, released (7/30)

Top BILL-ing:
    "I have no interest in being consistent. That's not what my objective is. My objective is to be right, first for the Dallas Cowboys and secondly, hopefully, for the player involved. They don't want to be treated like cattle, they want to be treated like individuals. I did what I thought was in the best interest of the player, I really did. We'll see what happens. I don't try to be consistent, I try to be fair and right." - Cowboys head coach Bill Parcells on why he apparently treated quarterback Quincy Carter differently from, say, an Antonio Bryant, the club releasing last year's 16-game starter after an apparent repeated violation of the league's substance abuse policy. Hi Mom!!! Well, you can't write home from California and not talk about the weather. I came out here with the intention of getting a break from that Texas heat, and it has been just that, and then some. In fact, how jealous would you get if I said it can be a little too cool? The Quincy Carter news on Wednesday caught us all off-guard� It certainly meant for a wild day. But one thing is for sure, it's going to be hard to top that. So maybe our busiest day is behind us. Finding food has been adventurous at times, but it's been OK. Not a chili dog from Daddio's, but still good none the less. Nick Eatman
  2. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,470 Messages
    238 Likes Received
    I think he makes the squad over Cason.
  3. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,585 Messages
    1,108 Likes Received
    Bwhahahahahahahaha
  4. Doomsday101

75,409 Messages
    1,881 Likes Received
    On goal-line drills, Parcells chewed out Julius Jones for bouncing a run right outside. Parcells told him in no uncertain terms he had lost four yards by not running downhill.
    Evidently the advice sunk in, because two plays later Jones hit inside hard over right guard to score a touchdown, and spiked the ball in frustration, drawing some chiding remarks from DE Marcellus Wiley, who barked, "You mad? You mad? Bring me a cup of water."

Too funny!!!! Now get me some water
  5. dargonking999

dargonking999 DKRandom

11,785 Messages
    163 Likes Received
    i think he does to but he doesnt do anything untill next year if JJ plays well
  6. Dale

Dale Forum Architect

4,816 Messages
    136 Likes Received
    Agreed. Lee has been sharp out here. Real sharp.
  7. Doomsday101

75,409 Messages
    1,881 Likes Received
    I agree it seem like each day I see these reports Lee is doing something good or is being cosiderd the "who's hot today guy"
  8. Meat-O-Rama

Meat-O-Rama Vegetarians are so stupid.

2,224 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    Classic...
  9. Doomsday101

75,409 Messages
    1,881 Likes Received
    Don't you know guys on the team were busting in laughter on that one.
  10. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I'd like to have seen BP face :D
  11. Screw The Hall

Screw The Hall Well-Known Member

2,074 Messages
    95 Likes Received
    If we keep Lee that means in all likelihood we only keep one of the Martin / Polite / Barnes FB trio. Man I want to keep Martin, I hope he gets to crack'n on those ST's units Parcells keeps warning us about.
  12. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Babe made a nice observation about Randal Williams comparing him to Alvin Harper. Babe said that Norv specifically designed the offense so that Alvin Haper was never asked to come back for the ball. He was so long legged and had slow feet, so Norv only asked him to run the slant, the skinny posts and the go routes. He was bad at coming in and out of breaks, but he was hard to defend running straight ahead. Babe sees that in Williams.
  13. CaptainAmerica

CaptainAmerica Active Member

5,015 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    I saw Reshard Lee play in person two years ago in the season opener between Bama and Middle Tennessee St. He was an impressive runner in that game. He showed quickness, power, decisiveness and he gave the Bama defense fits in the 2nd half of the game.
    Before the game I did some research on him, because I knew I recognized his name from the old high school recruiting lists. Well, come to find out Lee was a very highly rated RB prospect out of Georgia his Sr. year who would have received offers from all the major schools and most likely would have ended up at Georgia, if it wasn't for his academic issues.
    Bottom line though, he turned out to be quite a player for MTSU, including their offensive MVP and if not for the academic issues could have been a more recognized name out of the major college ranks.
    I'm pulling for JJ to do well, but Lee has intrigued me since we signed him as a FA last year.
  14. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    With Newson getting cut, I'm back hoping that Randal can live up to his potential. He's such a freak in some ways I hope he can gain some consistency and contribute in a real way finally.
  15. dargonking999

dargonking999 DKRandom

11,785 Messages
    163 Likes Received
    i think if he can consitenly catch the ball and do good things his confdence will rise and he can make the team, but if he doesnt he's gone
    BP sees something in him cause that would be the only reason why he still on the team
  16. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    He's with the team because he contributes about 320 snaps a year to the team on special teams. He's not just standing on the sidelines waving a towell in the air on 3rd downs and waiting for one of the other WR's to get hurt.
  17. keds

keds Member

340 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    I'm sorry but now everytime I hear Cason's name I will think of teary-eyed Quincy professing his love for him....
  18. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,702 Messages
    2,447 Likes Received
    Good observation.

I guess Norv didn't let Tampa see that scouting report. ;)
  19. jdnalls

jdnalls New Member

1,170 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He's definately going to be this years sleeper and it's a shame he got injured last season or he probably would have saw pt last season.
  20. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

3,002 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    Sweet.

I've wanted to see true throwback uniforms for a long time.

Not good.

I haven't heard a lot about Hunter, but I suspect he isn't playing with enough confidence.

Interesting comparison.

Randal Williams' first priority is to perform on special teams, but anything they get from him on offense would be a great bonus.