1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Tidbits on the debate

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by BrAinPaiNt, Sep 27, 2008.

1. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,291 Messages
    4,609 Likes Received
    I have to say both did better in their supposed weaknesses than I expected. McCain better on the economy than I expected, Obama better on foreign relations than I expected.

However with that said I saw no clear cut winner and I did not come away with the idea that I would vote for either.

I was annoyed that neither would actually answer the question of what things they wanted to do but probably would have to give up due to the bail out. The guy asked three times and three times they danced around the issue without directly answering the question. Politicians, gotta love em.

I thought it was odd that McCain refused to look Obama in the eye. I don't know if this was something that he and his campaign planned on doing in order to show that they though Obama was beneath them or what. Personally I found it silly and a little disheartening. I would think that someone who is a self proclaimed maverick and is always harping about how he works across the aisle and Obama does not, could have the cajones to look a man in the eye when he is trying to talk to him. Just odd.

While watching it I also noticed that Obama would say that McCain or John is right and agreed with a general point and then go into where he disagreed in specifics. I knew then and there that there would be people in the background loving it and probably going to make an ad about it. Oddly enough again this falls to my last point. If someone is a self proclaimed maverick and claims he works across the aisle while Obama does not...you would never know it from the debates as McCain would not look at him and Obama would agree with certain points while Mccain would not.

Both of them doing the I have a bracelet thing irritated me to no end. Quit using the darn troops as a talking point and that you wear a bracelet. Sorry if that bothers other people but it disgusts me. You want to wear a bracelet that someone gave you as a show of support of the troops or the family that gave it to you...that is great. Just don't go up on stage and brag about it or use it as a political talking point.

I think both got some quips in and some got some points in but overall I did not walk away thinking there was a clear cut winner. I could see that republican voters would stay with McCain and claim a clear cut winner, I could see that democratic voters would stay with Obama and claim a clear cut winner.

However I am curious what the undecided voters decided. I just don't know where to go to find that info that would not be biased. I doubt you could go to most of the msm to get an unbiased look at it.

It just might go back to my initial reaction after the debate that neither were clear cut winners and neither were clear cut losers. It seemed to be pretty much a tie.

I could see anyone saying that they thought (insert candidate here) was a slight winner or loser and it being a legit argument. I just can't see anyone with a straight face, unless they are extremely biased one way or another, saying one candidate won it by a huge margin or even healthy margin.

Oh well...I guess if anything it confirms what I thought going in, and maybe in that I am tainted, that I would not vote for either of these guys and don't see either one as being a far superior option over the other.

To sum it up...Meh.:D
  2. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

15,206 Messages
    313 Likes Received
    I'm amazed that anyone would vote one way or the other because of a debate, although I understand that they do. Myself, I went to a high school football game instead.
  3. BrAinPaiNt

61,291 Messages
    4,609 Likes Received
    Well you have those undecided voters...hard to think that there are actually people who are undecided at this point but there are.

I was watching Kelly's Heroes before the debate. Set the DVR to record it, watched the debate and then went back and finished watching Kelly's heroes. :laugh2:

I am sure I am not the only one that does this but I find myself watching or even recording a movie on TV, even stations with commercials as opposed to something like HBO, only to later question why am I doing that when I have the stinking DVD I could play.:laugh1: Oh well.
  4. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I havent seen the whole thing yet,but did read a few reviews and look at some polls...what you said seems to have some truth to it about each thinking their guy won. Newsweek has an article today that says McCain definitely won, but in the article the writer cites snap polls from CBS and CNN saying Obama won handily. Drudge's online poll has McCain winning 67% to 31%.
  5. BrAinPaiNt

61,291 Messages
    4,609 Likes Received
    I just can't see anyone thinking that one guy won by a huge margin. Now granted you will have people that are already in one camp or the other, but I just don't see a clear cut winner.

Which I guess could be good or bad for either camp. Good that their candidate did not go down in flames and bad that nobody did anything that would propel them handily over the other.

If you watch it, when you watch it, pay attention to the early question where both candidates dance around the question so much that the moderator asks around 3 times and is clearly trying to get an answer they are not willing to answer.
  6. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,199 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    I was exceptionally disappointed with John McCain. I wanted him to stand up and lead on this Bailout Issue and both avoided it as if we were asking for the campaign donation records. He needed to do that and he didn't. I think that was a mistake.
  7. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

25,285 Messages
    1,239 Likes Received
    We all know that the only debate anyone ever remembers is the 3rd and final one.