1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Tigers fullback Chad Diehl has earned reputation as a hard worker and hard hitter

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Sep 2, 2010.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    Articles
    Enlarge TextEmailPrintReprintShare
    You must fill in all fields
    View One Page
    WITH PHOTONO PHOTO
    FACEBOOKYAHOONEWSVINEDEL.ICIO.US
    Tigers fullback Chad Diehl has earned reputation as a hard worker and hard hitter

By Eric Boynton
    eric.boynton@shj.com

Published: Wednesday, September 1, 2010 at 12:24 p.m.
    Last Modified: Wednesday, September 1, 2010 at 12:24 p.m.
    ( page 4 of 4 )
    click link here for rest of story
    CLEMSON -- Clemson's most respected offensive player is the ultimate throwback who could have fit comfortably into a leather helmet back when guys named Bronco roamed the field.

[IMG]
    Note click above for picture, wouldnt upload, but wait till you see his pic, kinda reminds me of big fullback 49ers had;
    Click to enlarge The Clemson football team held their picture day and fan appreciation day Sunday August 22, 2010.
    Buy photo MIKE BONNER/mike.bonner@shj.com

Clemson coach Dabo Swinney said fullback Chad Diehl could play in any era while calling him “the epitome of what you want in a football player.” His teammates laud him with such lofty praise as the Tigers' offensive MVP and most important cog in the ground game.

Pretty heady stuff for the junior Byrnes product with three career rushing yards on four carries.

“I've followed Chad a long time and I honestly believe he's one of the best football players I've ever seen in person,” said Clemson center Dalton Freeman.

Diehl made his mark at linebacker (totaling 252 tackles his final two seasons) in high school, but he's built a legendary reputation at fullback in college, where his punishing blocks have become part of team folklore.

Clemson senior All-American DeAndre McDaniel, known for dispensing a few big hits of his own, was moved from linebacker to safety before last season — a switch that not only benefited his skill set, but also provided a much desired trip out of the Diehl danger zone.

“Chad is one guy you want to avoid if you want to make it through the season.

You need to keep away from him as much as you can,” McDaniel said. “We used to go against each other a lot when I was at linebacker and that's when he was (20 pounds lighter).

I've seen him sit a lot of people down, and the best thing is to just stay away from him.”

Even at a sculpted 325 pounds, senior offensive tackle Chris Hairston is thrilled that practice collisions with Diehl aren't among his job requirements and considers his fullback an honorary offensive lineman. While the flashy Spiller dominated national television highlights, Diehl was the true TV star among his teammates during weekly preparations.

“It's crazy to watch him on film every week, he just has no regard for his body,” Hairston said. “He's just not going to lose a one-on-one matchup. I don't see anybody in the country that can step in isolated and take on a Chad Diehl block. He's relentless, probably the hardest hitter I've ever seen play this game.

While long one his team's most respected guys, the 6-foot-2, 255-pounder is starting to get similar notice from NFL scouts.

And Swinney said he's seen only one player who compared to Diehl's explosive power and release — Alabama product Patrick Hape, a 1997 fifth-round draft pick who played nearly a decade in the NFL.

“I'm humble and don't really pay attention to stuff like that,” Diehl said. “It's hard work that will get you respect, if your coaches and teammates see you always trying to push forward no matter what. But there are a lot of guys on our team like that.”

The coaching staff implored Diehl to become a more complete player and he responded with his usual vigorous work ethic.

“He's got to be a factor in the passing game, be able to pass protect and play some on the line of scrimmage. He stays after every practice catching balls and trying to develop into a more dynamic player. We're going to play him in a lot of different situations.”

That's bad news for those opposing players who this season will gain insight into Diehl's wrath.
  2. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    Clemson Fullback
    YR HGT WGT Speed RATINH
    30 DIEHL Chad JR 6- 1.0 233 4.61 318.47

http://www.couchscout.com/clem.htm

Note, pretty good speed for a fullback, says on webpage on 1st post diehl is at 255 now, ideal size.