1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Time to see more from our stable of running backs

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by lane, Oct 4, 2013.

1. lane

lane The Chairman

10,387 Messages
    343 Likes Received
    we got some good talent there.

i would prefer to use dunbar out in space...like sproles

let tanner run up the gut and pound people

randle in my opinion is a better, younger version of murray and has a lot better attitude than murray.

we need an oc who can use weapons.
    Sarge and RoyTheHammer like this.
  2. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

12,853 Messages
    606 Likes Received
    Dunbar is intriguing.

Tanner is JAG and it's likely he is out of the league in a few years. Randle has no special redeeming qualities. Just kind of mediocre all around.
  3. TrailBlazer

TrailBlazer Well-Known Member

1,423 Messages
    526 Likes Received
    The cowboys had a 3rd round grade on Randle. He must've had some redeeming qualities.
    1LoyalCowboyFan likes this.
  4. Hoov

Hoov Senior Member

4,716 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    i would like to see randle, but this upcoming game is not one i would play him much. Cant make any mistakes against peyton, and players getting their first game live action are prone to mistakes.
    1LoyalCowboyFan likes this.
  5. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,267 Messages
    1,182 Likes Received
    why haven't we seen randle at all? I suspect because he is the same back as Murray, but you don't red-shirt in the pro's...if the guy has a roster spot, give him a carry or two to see what he has...if nothing else, it spells murray for a series.

and, I would like to see little swing passes to Dunbar just to see if he can use his speed in a place other than practice
  6. goshan

goshan Active Member Zone Supporter

1,869 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    overall, our RBs are average at best.
  7. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,318 Messages
    475 Likes Received
    Murray is currently fifth in the league in average yards from scrimmage and among the league leaders in broken tackles. He is third in rushing yards. Of the top ten backs in rushing yards he ranks third in average yards per attempt (4.9 yards per carry). He averaged five yards per carry in the last game.

It could be that they are not showing more from the other backs because they are nowhere near as good as Murray. He is not what is wrong with this team at the moment.
    EMMITTnROY and CaptainCreed like this.
  8. CowboysLegend365

CowboysLegend365 Active Member

301 Messages
    97 Likes Received
    Was wondering why we kept 4 to play 1 all game...I understand ST help but other needs could have been filled if that was the case. Wondering the same about keeping 4 TEs.
    links18 likes this.
  9. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,641 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    Dunbar needs to hold onto the ball.
    CowboyStar88 likes this.
  10. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,641 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    You may be right , JG may have hit his ceiling.
  11. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,439 Messages
    196 Likes Received
    Do you know where we rank in terms of rushing attempts?
    JPM likes this.
  12. JPM

JPM Well-Known Member

5,655 Messages
    149 Likes Received
  13. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,439 Messages
    196 Likes Received
    There's the problem. Murray is one of the top backs but he's underutilized. Granted, if a team is good and often has the lead they will have more rushes, but I doubt if that's the whole story. Just looking at the rushes per game, teams like the Seahawks, Colts, Patriots, and Chiefs run the ball a lot and teams like the Giants, Rams, Steelers, and Jaguars don't.
  14. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    Hear, hear!
  15. 1LoyalCowboyFan

1LoyalCowboyFan Active Member Zone Supporter

583 Messages
    51 Likes Received
    It is possible that Murray realized through watching film that he was leaving yards on the field. I think he has been running a lot better recently. He's being patience, timing cuts and hitting the hole hard when he needs to. He loves contact though. I agree with the notion he is not the problem. I love Randle. Guy falls forward always gets yard. Would love to utilize Dunbar the way Saints use Sproles. I'd use tanner to wear down defenses and nothing else, running only inside.
  16. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,041 Messages
    228 Likes Received
    Murray is underutilized, Dez iz under targeted, Romo is held back by play calling, etc. There is still a lot of improvement for this team.

And that is a good thing people. Week 5 of a new defense and offensive philosophy. Those who want instant gratification are not being realistic. Cowboys were predicted to finish at bottom of NFCE this season.
  17. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member

3,554 Messages
    406 Likes Received
    This...
    ...is explained by this...
    ...so I'm not sure why you say this:
    Examples:

In the Broncos wins over the Eagles, Raiders and Giants, they ran a total of 46 plays in the 4th quarter, of which 36 were runs.
    In the Seahawks win over the Jags, they ran 16 plays in the 4th quarter. Eleven of them were runs.
    In the Seahawks win over the 49ers, their last 7 plays were runs.
    In the Patriots win over the Bucs, 11 of their last 13 plays were runs.
  18. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,439 Messages
    196 Likes Received
    That just backs up what I said. I'd bet that those good would be at the top of the first half rushing attempts list too.
  19. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member

3,554 Messages
    406 Likes Received
    I think you're missing the point. Let's compare:

Pass Play %, Quarters 1 through 3
    Broncos: 66%
    Patriots: 60%
    Cowboys: 61%

4th Quarter:
    Broncos: 28%
    Patriots: 51%
    Cowboys: 75% (92% in the two losses, 48% in the two wins)

The Seahawks do run more, but even they run a lot more in the 4th quarter (67% in their first 3 games - the last one went to OT so I didn't count that one) than they do in the rest of the game (49%).

The pass/run ratio is completely skewed by 4th-quarter numbers, which are determined largely by the score at the time. The reason the best teams are near the top in rushes is because they're ahead in the 4th quarter and running out the clock. Teams run because they're winning; they don't win because they're running.
  20. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

4,092 Messages
    783 Likes Received
    I want to see more Dunbar because I believe he can be a difference maker and it's frustrating to see him not being used.