1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Time to stockpile Twinkies?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Phoenix, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

5,487 Messages
    595 Likes Received
    Does this mean the end of Twinkies...? I don't know.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/industri...-down-operations-sell-assets/?test=latestnews

Hostess Brands Inc, the maker of Twinkies and Wonder Bread, said it will ask a bankruptcy judge for permission to liquidate after failing to obtain wage and benefit cuts from thousands of its bakery workers.

The company said a strike by members of the Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers International Union that started last week was too much to overcome.

2. AmarilloCowboyFan

AmarilloCowboyFan Well-Known Member

2,416 Messages
    29 Likes Received
  3. Signals

Signals Suspicious looking stranger

4,599 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    I probably won't notice them being gone, I haven't eaten one in 30 years.

RIP Twinkies.

P.S. good luck to those 18,000 unemployed Hostess employees who will be looking for work.
  4. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    seems to me from the snippet above they could have kept their jobs by agreeing to some benefit reductions. instead, they went on strike.
  5. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    This is the beginning of the zombie apocalypse

[IMG]
  6. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    It was the union workers that went on strike not all of the workers. They killed the deal for everyone else.
  7. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,043 Messages
    146 Likes Received
    Hostess apparantly had already filed for bankruptcy earlier. I think the issues probably go a bit deeper.

Selling off their brand names may bring them a pretty penny though.
  8. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    So far we're ok. Let this spread on over to Drake's and Devil Dogs and there will be hell to pay.
  9. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,557 Messages
    2,429 Likes Received
    I'm sure if you had one in your attic from back then it would still be well preserved ;)
  10. SaltwaterServr

SaltwaterServr Blank Paper Offends Me

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Reading that the union contracts required different delivery vehicles for non-dessert products versus dessert products lets you know how they got in the situation they did. Absolutely asinine.

This is a classic example of the union myopia. They'll fight for your rights all the way up to the point where the company goes out of business and you're unemployed. :banghead:
  11. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,557 Messages
    2,429 Likes Received
    Going to be interesting to see if that law in California passes that make union dues non-mandatory. Everywhere else they passed it, union dues participation dropped 90-95%.
  12. SaltwaterServr

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That, and to see what Walmart does to the union they're fighting with over the protests. Black Friday is going to be a very interesting day that may turn all public perception against the unionized workers if shopping on that day goes horribly awry.
  13. justbob

justbob The Peacemaker Staff Member

6,955 Messages
    358 Likes Received
    Informative and a great job of keeping it non political and on thread..I salute you :bow:
  14. Route 66

Route 66 Active Member

3,310 Messages
    6 Likes Received
  15. chip_gilkey

chip_gilkey Active Member

2,559 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    You guys are right, the workers should've just rolled over and taken the pay/benefits deductions. Why bother saying anything, just let them pay you what they wish. Don't bother standing up for yourselves. I'd like to see how some of you would react if your boss told you they were cutting your pay and benefits.
  16. Lodeus

Lodeus Well-Known Member

3,169 Messages
    411 Likes Received
    I love Wonder Bread also. Its the only white bread I eat.
  17. SaltwaterServr

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Pay deduction versus losing your job right before the holiday season. You tell me which was the right decision.

The unions killed the company. I'd say I'm surprised, but I've seen it happen to plenty of Dad's competition. They'd go out of business and if/when the parent company bought out assets to add to our inventory or remove a competing product from the market, they'd get access to the books. More often we'd get the former employees looking for a new job. The pay rates and benefits packages were killing the company.

Moreover, a unionized company in the steel fabrication business couldn't respond as quickly to market conditions as dad could. Adding on a shift or going to 24 hour production cycles didn't require a week of negotiations, it required a memo. End of story.
  18. Sarge

Sarge Happy Holidays Staff Member

21,105 Messages
    1,960 Likes Received
    Fruit Pie man myself. As a kid, one year my parents got me 10 fruit pies - I ate them all in a bout 3 hours.
  19. justbob

justbob The Peacemaker Staff Member

6,955 Messages
    358 Likes Received
    My wife makes them ---apple ,pineapple ,peach ---dang I'm hungry
  20. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,331 Messages
    228 Likes Received
    FYI, this was dead from the get-go. Both the Union and the company execs thought they could beat the other. Check out the CEO's pay raise after declaring bankruptcy.

This was two non-bending greedy ***es banging heads until the entire company died.

Don't worry though. Top execs will walk away rich as all get-out when it's done and the Union powers that be will learn a valuable lesson just a little too late and the little guys will get completely screwed.

The little guy is who always gets screwed in the end.

Greed and power are what it's all about. Someone always thinks they are bigger, but someone has to fail. When that guy fails, the little guys get hit the hardest.