1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Tip your waiters!!!!

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by TheKey, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Phrozen Phil

Phrozen Phil Active Member

3,880 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Had it been me, you would have gotten at least the $2.00 that The Key got. :p:
  2. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,457 Messages
    572 Likes Received
    The French!!!! Worst tippers evah! (at least waaaaay back when I was in the business)! We would always argue over who would have to take them when they came in, because they were rude and usually did not tip at all.
  3. Phrozen Phil

3,880 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Some Quebecois have a major sense of entitlement and carry it to extremes. I can only speak for myself and I tand to stick with the 20% rule.
  4. Jon88

Jon88 Benched

7,666 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    They usually had some kind of attitude and then you were lucky to get $2. God forbid they had a gift card, because sometimes you would only get the remaining balance of about $1.20
  5. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    You should know that that was Springs and family, getting a little payback for making gratuitous demands and being insensitive about her golden fries.
  6. Jon88

Jon88 Benched

7,666 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Was he a Canadian?
  7. Faerluna

Faerluna I'm Complicated

5,144 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I had a table full of Brits at Ruth's Chris once. Several bottles of wine, lots of food and we got along famously. They were the last table in the house, and I'm thinking "CHA-CHING!"

I got under 10%. :(
  8. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,158 Messages
    844 Likes Received
    I usually tip 20%.

If the service was meh; 15%. But if you do a half-*** decent job, I'll give 205.

And if I am wasted off my ***, the tip usually is in the 50% + range. I figure..... if I am drunk and in a good mood. You should be in a good mood too. That, and I don't care when I am drunk....
  9. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Not to pour more gasoline on this fire, but do you guys tip the pizza boy 15%, or just a couple of bucks?
  10. TheKey

TheKey Faster than Felix

2,633 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    Most of my pizza orders are about 20 bucks and he usually gets about 3-4 so yeah that is more than 15%. I would say that driving and dropping off a pizza is not as big of a deal as refills, foods, appetizers, desserts, all in one sitting.
  11. neosapien23

neosapien23 Well-Known Member

2,769 Messages
    60 Likes Received
    I tip soley based on performance. I have a wife and 2 step kids so we usually rack up about $40 when we go out to eat. If the service is excellent, I'll leave $10, if the service is so-so about $5-6, poor service gets three bucks no matter how much the ticket was.
  12. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,457 Messages
    921 Likes Received
    In Europe most of the staff are paid a decent wage so 10% is huge. Me, I check on stuff like that whenever I visit another country but Brits are pretty much like Americans when they travel ... however they do it in their own country is the right way.
  13. Faerluna

Faerluna I'm Complicated

5,144 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I usually tip $4-5, but I used to deliver pizza, too, so I'm pretty generous.
  14. Phrozen Phil

3,880 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    I found it similar in Australia. They had some pretty innovative ways of ticketing. One restaurant near Canberra had their waiters use PDA's to order and the chef was asking for clarification before the waiter left the table. As a result, the order was accurate and the waiter seemd to have more time for the socail niceties and to ply us with more liquor.
  15. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,869 Messages
    1,755 Likes Received
    $40 for a family of four???? Where do you go for that kinda price dare I ask.
  16. ethiostar

ethiostar Well-Known Member

6,307 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    Wow, that is generous. How many pizzas do you usually order?
  17. Faerluna

Faerluna I'm Complicated

5,144 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    1-2 usually.

These days I usually go pick up, though. The place we get pizza from here doesn't deliver, and the usual delivery places like Domino's and Pizza Hut are adding a delivery charge. To me, the delivery charge puts it over the top and I'd rather just go pick it up somewhere.
  18. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I as in Kilyin
  19. Faerluna

Faerluna I'm Complicated

5,144 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    No, I as in me. :p
  20. DragonCowboy

DragonCowboy Well-Known Member

5,403 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    I usually tip pretty well, around 15-20% (sometimes more).

I can only remember one time when I didn't want to tip the waiter.

I go to school at Texas in Austin, and there was some thai/sushi restaurant, "Crave". We went in there, were seated, and had to wait for about 40-45 minutes for a waiter to even notice us (although the place was pretty full, so we didn't mind too much). One of us ordered a bubble tea, the waiter brought it by, spilled some of it, but didn't replace it (and it's not free refills).

Took another 30 minutes after the drink orders to order dinner. When the food came, it was actually very good although a bit lukewarm, but it was very, very good.

So, after we had eaten, the waiter's nowhere to be found. No big deal, we wait for about 30 minutes, still nowhere to be found. So there's another waiter around, and we ask him if he could please find our waiter for us. He looks at us, shakes his head, and says, "not my table" and walks away.

Then, the busboy lady (busgirl?) takes our dishes, puts them in her tub, but then realizes that she had to do something, and plops the tub on our table, slightly dousing one of us (which was actually really funny and made our day).

When we finally found our server, he gave us the check, which included a 18% gratuity...for four of us. This pretty much pissed us off (isn't that for tables of 6 or more?), so we asked the manager, who pretty much accused us of trying to dine and dash, telling us that the 18% gratuity is required not because there are four of us, but because the restaurant is packed. (I'm not familiar with the way restaurants work, so this might be true). So we pay the gratuity, and leave a "kind" $0.04.

While I still kinda feel bad about leaving the four cents, I think that sometimes the overall service of a restaurant can be so bad that it warrants that. I'm not saying TheKey is a bad server (he sounds like a good one, in fact), but there are certain lines that, if crossed by a server, he/she doesn't deserve a 15% tip or any tip for that matter.