1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Tired of the same Cowboy pics???

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by Juke99, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received

Hey, when you've been a fan as long as we have, there's alot to miss...

I miss the "up/down" of the offensive line...

I miss the SuperBowl as it was back then...
  2. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,850 Messages
    318 Likes Received
    MAN was that classic... I was watching SB XII a few weeks ago on dvd... that was the classic move... how cool was THAT...

It was military-like... I do miss that aspect from our lore...
  3. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received

Ya know, it was dumb to get rid of it...I think that was just a case of pure ego to do so...it was a trademark of the team...and I guess Jones and Johnson wanted nothing to do with it for that reason...I know Johnson said it was a waste of the OL's energy but I never bought that...

Understood, it was kinda pointless..it did give the OL one last look at the defensive alignment...but this team was always about show business as well a football...

Ahhhhh....we're sounding old...*L*
  4. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Man you guys have me wanting to break out my Cowboys history DVD again. The pics are great guys. I love the pic that says doomsday becasue it has my favorite player growing up in the shot. #55 in your program and #1 in your hearts, Lee Roy Jordan. The guy was so solid and made plays everywhere on the field. Man, where have all our Cowboys gone. Thanks guys for the trip down memory lane.
  5. trickblue

28,850 Messages
    318 Likes Received
    How cool would it be to see that on Thanksgiving Day... to go with old school... the whole point of it was to confuse the defense and not let them see the shifts and motions clearly... Landry brought back the shotgun into popularity... the up/down thing would be cool to see again... and likely bring a tear to my eye... ;)
  6. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    The main point of that shift was to hide the backfield from the LBs. When the line stood up that is when the backs shifted. It blocked their view for only a second but long enough to create some confusion. But that said, it was cool as heck to watch. But then again, most things Landry did was cool and wawy inovative. I wonder if the rest of the NFL realizes how many things we have now becasue of the Cowboys? 20 yd line stipes, wide white sidleines. #'s on the sleeves or shoulders of the jerseys for TV, Wide end lines, I mean it goes on and on.
  7. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received

[IMG]
  8. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    God bless you Juke. HE was the man as far as I was concerned. Don't get me wrong, I know Lilly anchored that unit but Jordan was my fav. I played the same position and I just loved watching him play.
  9. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received

Alot of that was Tex Schramm....

I will never forget, as a kid, in 1965, walking past the TV...the Cowboys were playing in the "Playoff Bowl" against the Colts...it was a runner up game, the two teams that lost the division finals...and I heard the announcer talking about Bob Hayes...the world's fastest human being...and then I saw the stars on the helmets...true love.

:p
  10. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received

*L*

A retro Thanksgiving...I love the idea.

They were always a smart organization from a marketing standpoint...they just did things differently than the rest of the league...ya know, Tex's computer on draft day, etc...

This team has a great history...it's one of the reason I wanted to have this forum...alot of the younger fans have no idea about the history of this team..
  11. trickblue

28,850 Messages
    318 Likes Received
    Add in the taller goalposts with the flags for wind direction... Tex was without a doubt the best executive the NFL has ever seen... Incredibly influential and always had the great Pete Rozelle's ear...

Texas Stadium has the hole (yes... for God to watch his favorite team) but also to shield the fans from the weather while letting the elements play a part of the game... as they should... another Tex idea...

[IMG]
  12. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Do any of you guys remember when Landry first used the shotgun? I know that Staubach had the team inside the 20 and he walked up to the line like he was going to take a regular snap. Then he just stood up and stepped backwards about 4 or 5 yards. Honestly my first thought was that the center had farted. Then they snapped the ball and the defense was caught lounging on the play. Also, if I remember the play went for a TD. I also think the team was either the Redskins or the Rams but I'm not sure.
  13. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received

Until his head exploded, this guy was my fav...

[IMG]
  14. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I've never been to Texas Stadium but I will get there before they tear it down. But I have a question. Why is that it seems that the Cowboys bench is in the sun and the visitors is in the shade? I remember looking at the games before and thinking, if it were my stadium, I would be taking the shade. Or am I confused?
  15. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received
  16. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    MAn, HH could play some ball couldn't he? I still can't get past the story of him having liquid cocain in his pants during Super Bowl 10 and spraying it up his nose during the game. I am so glad he got his life straightened out.
  17. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received

I went there a few years ago for the first time...I called my ticket broker in NY and said

"Hey, I want to go to a Cowboy game"

"OK, let me take a look at the Giant schedule"

"I want to go to a game in Texas"

silence...crickets chirping...

three hours later he called back...35 yard line, field level, row 19, two tickets...

Paradise....

Against the Redskins...

You walk into the stadium, look up...see the hole in the roof...and it just blows your mind...
  18. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received

It's not that we are partial just because we are fans...but this franchise is the most innovative in the history of the game...Texas Stadium, looks like a bit of a dump from the outside...but.....when you get inside, yowza...history galore...

Although, I am old enough to go back to the Cotton Bowl days....
  19. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received

I heard him interviewed a few weeks ago...well spoken...very likeable...he even talked about apologizing to Terry Bradshaw for the "cat" comment...

Giant fans don't want to hear this but before there was LT, there was Hollywood...

Name another linebacker who returned a kick off for a TD? There aren't any...the guy was a special athlete...
  20. trickblue

28,850 Messages
    318 Likes Received
    People don't remember how good this guy was... he came in the era before using drugs was acceptable (ala Lawrence Taylor)...

This was a LB in the NFL that returned KICKS... a LB returning kicks... that is unheard of...

For those that don't know... Henderson won the Texas Lottery a few years back... he lives in Austin (his home town)... his high school was torn down a few years back... he took the money he won and built a youth center for the kids in that area...

It is a shame he "got it" a few years too late... he was an amazing talent and would have been in the HOF had he kept his nose clean (no pun intended)...