1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

TJ McDonald USC S 2nd round pick.

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Bigtommyb, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

7,900 Messages
    397 Likes Received
    I'll consider it in the third, but not in the 2nd.
  2. ddh33

ddh33 Active Member

4,934 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I feel the same way about McDonald. The guy did everything asked of him, and he did it to the tune of being the defensive player I saw at USC last season, which isn't saying much. I like him. I like his familiarity, and if Kiffin wants him, I am all for it.
  3. XxTDxX

XxTDxX Active Member

748 Messages
    246 Likes Received

Yup. Ill take Swearinger and both Shamarko/Phillip Thomas over him
  4. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

...I'm with you but there is a VERY good and knowledgeable contingent of posters in this thread that completely disagree with us....it's cool in that the league is the same way. You'll get a few GM's that will really like this kid and a few who won't: time will tell.
  5. XxTDxX

XxTDxX Active Member

748 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    Everyone has their own opinions on all these guys and Im sure each GM/Scout/Coach has a unique prospective on each player and how they rank but I have a hard time believing that anyone could have TJ McDonald in their top 50 players.. We pick at 47.
  6. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,716 Messages
    1,815 Likes Received
    Yup TJ wont make it out of Round 3.
  7. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,073 Messages
    294 Likes Received

Yea, I didn't watch the combine or keep up with the numbers, but he's a guy I'd consider in round 4 or so.
  8. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    What games are you talking about? The UCLA game where he was asked to play deep zone and keep everything in front of him (which he did) and made an interception in the endzone? The Oregon game where he was basically played his assignments against the option read and blocked a punt in special teams and nearly created a fumble on a bubble screen on a borderline backwards lateral call by the ref?

I'm also kinda confused how a guy runs a great 6.89 3 cone time with overly slow and unfluid hips at the Combine, when the 3 cone drill specifically tests a players fluidity and ability to turn hips. Sure you didn't have some confirmation bias at play there?
  9. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,805 Messages
    1,699 Likes Received
    It is a mistake to think that his 40 time does not matter if he is a Safety in a Tampa2.

I don't even know if I'd want him in the 4th.
  10. ABQCOWBOY

34,805 Messages
    1,699 Likes Received
    6.89 is not really a great 3cone time. Of the 9 guys who ran the drill and are listed as FS, 4 guys ran a faster time. Heck, of the 4 who are listed at SS, 2 had better times.

Kinda not seeing what you are seeing here I think.
  11. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,072 Messages
    459 Likes Received
  12. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

3,615 Messages
    1,065 Likes Received
    If we take t.J. I'll be pissed. Too many good Safeties in this draft to take this kid.
  13. dart

dart Benched

811 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    I'd rather have Lester from Ala
  14. ABQCOWBOY

34,805 Messages
    1,699 Likes Received
    Jamar Taylor is a guy who might be in play here. Most are thinking about him as a CB and that might be the case but as good as he might be at CB, he might actually project better to Safety. He would be a guy that, if you played him at Safety, could stay on the field and cover, no problem. Or, you could take him and move him out to CB and consider using Carr at Safety.

He could be a guy that is being considered.
  15. ghst187

ghst187 Well-Known Member

5,503 Messages
    119 Likes Received
    and maybe the 5th and 6th too
  16. CopenhagenCowboy

CopenhagenCowboy Active Member

916 Messages
    88 Likes Received
    I've been thinking the same thing about Taylor. Very interesting player.
  17. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Any safety that plays in this system better be an absolutely phenomenal tackler, because we're going to be playing a lot of single high and they will be quite literally on an island as the last line of defense. Any coverted CB better be a Rhonde Barber caliber tackling CBs.
  18. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,032 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    I want no parts of TJ McDonald... I'd rather have Robert Lester in the 5th. At least he creates turnovers.
  19. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,905 Messages
    4,274 Likes Received
    It will be interesting if he is there (whatever round) and the Cowboys decide to pass on him.

It does not truly mean that Kiffin was not that impressed with him.

But it would be interesting if something like that happened to him like it did with Taylor and Pete Caroll.
  20. Bigtommyb

Bigtommyb Member

371 Messages
    6 Likes Received

Well of course we would take Vaccaro if he's there. However he probably wouldn't be? That goes without saying!!!!! As a second rounder who( for a rookie) will be ahead of the curve because of familiarity with Kiffin and defense. I agree if Reid and Elam are there by our second snatch them. I don't think they will be.