1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

TLH: Did The Cowboys Find Another Diamond In The Rough?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by NeonDeion21, Sep 3, 2013.

1. NeonDeion21

NeonDeion21 Well-Known Member

1,960 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    First it was Tony Romo back in 2003. Next it was Miles Austin in 2006. Then Dan Bailey and Barry Church in 2010, and last year it was Ronald Leary, Cole Beasley and Lance Dunbar. Every year the Dallas Cowboys find a few undrafted players that make the squad against long odds and produce. Could safety Jeff Heath be the next diamond in the rough that the Dallas Cowboys have unearthed? They might be on their way.

An undrafted player out of Saginaw Valley State University, Jeff Heath wasn't anywhere near the draft radar for many experts and analysts. CBS Sports NFL Draft Expert Dane Brugler had Jeff Heath ranked as the 56th safety in the draft class. And that’s not a knock against Brugler, but more of an indictment of just how under-the-radar Jeff Heath was coming out of SVSU. Heath was signed by the Cowboys after the draft as a prospect who if he performed well in practice and in the games, could possibly find his way onto to the practice squad. And again, Heath shattered expectations.

According to Pro Football Focus, Jeff Heath graded out as the team’s best safety per snap, albeit against second and third teamers. Heath finished the preseason with 16 tackles, one tackle for a loss, and one forced fumble while playing a total of 204 snaps. Jeff Heath demonstrated this preseason that he can be a valuable safety in the run game, with his best performances coming against the Arizona Cardinals and Cincinnati Bengals.

Athletically, Jeff Heath compares very favorably to his competition currently on the roster.
    [IMG]

Read the rest at: http://thelandryhat.com/2013/09/03/did-the-dallas-cowboys-find-another-diamond-in-the-rough/
  2. Ring Leader

Ring Leader Active Member

842 Messages
    148 Likes Received
    So, we've raised the "bar" with Heath?
    NeonDeion21 likes this.
  3. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    if he or Wilcox are on the field vs manning I will be terrified.
  4. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,815 Messages
    2,907 Likes Received
    Or did we just find a jag?
  5. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

5,394 Messages
    363 Likes Received
    I dont think Heath is ready at all,he looked lost out there and slow to react.I bet nobody is going to take him if we put him on the PS.
    K-Mart likes this.
  6. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,336 Messages
    678 Likes Received
    I disagree. If he is smart then I see no reason why he could not contribute this season. We know he has speed, instincts, and athleticism. The question is: Can he learn quickly?

You say he looked lost and slow to react? Can it be that he looked lost and slow to react because everyone else on defense was out of position? It is possible that, given the fire drill with second and third teamers, he did get lost in the crowd. Playing with guys that know where they are supposed to be, however, he could just play decent.
  7. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

5,394 Messages
    363 Likes Received
    this could be said about a lot of players(Tanney for example) who is on the PS now.
  8. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,336 Messages
    678 Likes Received
    True. All the more reason why it is intriguing that he made the final 53. After all, the coaching staff has more film on Health than any of us.
  9. pancakeman

pancakeman Well-Known Member

1,798 Messages
    140 Likes Received
    *snicker*
    Erik_H likes this.
  10. Corso

Corso Well-Known Member

1,919 Messages
    1,075 Likes Received
    [IMG]

I see what you did! You funny guy!
  11. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,048 Messages
    231 Likes Received
  12. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

12,854 Messages
    606 Likes Received
    He better not quit his job for a career in comedy... he will find himself without a payday.
  13. cowboys2233

cowboys2233 Well-Known Member

3,780 Messages
    318 Likes Received
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!
  14. iceman117

iceman117 Active Member

718 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    Remember none of those guys contributed right away they all had time to develop slowly. So maybe they got something in Heath but if they do it won't show for a couple more years.