1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

TLH: Emmitt vs. Barry, a Favorite Debate

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Hostile, Jul 13, 2013.

1. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,466 Messages
    2,365 Likes Received
    Thank You

Some have this crazy stereotype of Sanders that says he would not hit a hole. The guy had huge thighs and clip after clip shows him breaking tackles. He was clearly no bulldozer--and would have been a moron to be so, given his outerworldly elusive running skills--but he absolutely could do the job when needed.

I won't go down the road of comparing Emmitt and Sanders if it means running either of them down. But hearing some say "they would not have Sanders on my team" is almost football card revoking material. lol
    It's an embarrassing comment.
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
    nyc-cowboy and jobberone like this.
  2. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,199 Messages
    5,430 Likes Received
    And it helped Sanders:

In his two seasons with Tommy Vardell:
    335/2,053 6.1 ypc 11 TD 128 ypg
    343/1,491 4.3 ypc 4 TD 93.2 ypg

But apparently, he "just never hit holes".
    nyc-cowboy and jobberone like this.
  3. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,868 Messages
    4,435 Likes Received
    You may be right. He was faster than Brown when he came out and almost as powerful. I think some have forgotten just how fast and powerful Brown was. Even later in his career he was more than a handful. Early on there just had never been an athlete with his size, power and athleticism. Bo was close.

All those guys were great.
  4. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,868 Messages
    4,435 Likes Received
    Well, I either forgot or never really paid much attention to them. I remember Atl and some others running that offense just not Detroit. My bad.
  5. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,052 Messages
    2,962 Likes Received
    Just guessing, you didn't actually read the article.
  6. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

6,107 Messages
    1,882 Likes Received
    Sander's statistics after the Lions junked the Run-and-Shoot are mind boggling. If anything, playing in a 4 WR offense in the first half of his career stunted his potential.
    jobberone likes this.
  7. DFWJC

23,466 Messages
    2,365 Likes Received
    I was not referring to the article--which I did read--but to some other comments.
  8. perrykemp

6,107 Messages
    1,882 Likes Received
    I pretty much agree with everything you say. In my football watching lifetime Emmity Smith was the best. I argue with anyone who will listen that Emmitt Smith was the best RB of all time with ONE CAVEAT -- I am not old enough to have watched Jim Brown play. From what I can see from the highlights Jim Brown looked like he was a man among boys in his day and do if anybody argues Jim Brown I am willing put them at 1A and 1B in no specific order.
  9. mrmojo

mrmojo Well-Known Member

1,326 Messages
    361 Likes Received
    Both are great running backs. But if I wanted to win a championship Emmitt is my back. He could run, block, catch, and run between the tackles. If you needed three yards he would get you four. John Madden made a comment one time that Emmitt could play on anything, turf, grass, or in the parking lot and he would still be the one you couldnt catch.

Barry Sanders was an exciting back and may be ther greatest pure runner i have ever seen. But if Barry was on those Cowboy dynasty teams would his style have been succesful in the Norv Turner offense? I'm not sure and reality is no one will ever know. And reality is that Emmitt was a major eason the Cowboys won those championships. Emmitt made the most of his opportunity in Dallas and I for one am forever grateful he was A Cowboy.
  10. Dalmations202

Dalmations202 Member

176 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Barry Sanders is to running backs what Tony Romo is to quarterbacks......flashy, great stats at times....will take your breath away. Then next week will give the game away.

Just My opinion.
    mrmojo likes this.
  11. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,052 Messages
    2,962 Likes Received
    You know what? Until Tony Romo can prove otherwise...that is fair.
  12. perrykemp

6,107 Messages
    1,882 Likes Received
    I can't agree with this. You can say Sanders didn't contribute as much as Emmitt did in getting in the end zone, however, to say that he would give the game away via back-breaking mistakes is just obscene.

For the record, Barry Sanders fumbled on 41 times in his career. Emmitt Smith, who also was known for tremendous ball security, fumbled it 61 times. Neither of these guys "gave the game away".
    DFWJC likes this.
  13. DFWJC

23,466 Messages
    2,365 Likes Received
    Your opinion is a massive exaggeration.
    No offense.

Maybe Hall of Famers Barry Sanders and Dan Marino are more like it.
    TheFinisher and Alexander like this.
  14. ragman

ragman Active Member

222 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Sanders had trouble running between the tackles. If you don't believe me, watch some old game footage.
  15. Alexander

25,199 Messages
    5,430 Likes Received
    And Emmitt Smith struggled running wide; his best runs were usually lead draws right up the middle. Different styles and that really has nothing to do with the comparison.
  16. perrykemp

6,107 Messages
    1,882 Likes Received
    Interestingly, if you look at the stats and compare the number of TDs per game between Emmitt and Barry you end up with:

Emmitt Smith: 226 games and 175 TDs: 0.77 TDs per game
    Barry Sanders: 153 games and 109 TDs: 0.71 TDs per game

The difference isn't as nearly pronounced as you think. Emmitt Smith scores about 8% more TDs than Barry.

Sanders averaged 5.0 ypc for his career and Emmitt Smith averaged 4.3ypc. Sanders ypc was 16% greater than Smith

Sanders averaged 99.8 yards per game for his career and Emmitt Smith averaged 88.2 yards per game for his career. Sanders yards per game was 13% higher than Smith.

Again, in my book Emmitt Smith is the greatest RB of all time -- however, you have to acknowledge the greatness of Barry Sanders if you really take more than a passing glance at his statistics.
  17. Alexander

25,199 Messages
    5,430 Likes Received
    And just think back to how many of those were hand-delivered by Michael Irvin getting the ball inside the five yard line and Smith waltzing in untouched.
  18. tupperware

tupperware A Plastic Container

7,269 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    This is pretty interesting.

A lot of members will come to defend Romo and say "You can't just blame everything on Romo, it's a team game!"

Then I'm seeing a lot of people saying Barry wasn't a winner and yet, seem to forget the teams both players played on.
  19. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

13,344 Messages
    832 Likes Received
    Barry, IMHO, had more overall talent and moves. Emmitt had more talent around him and was a winner.

Barry ended his career on top. Emmitt ended his career on the bottom with the Cards. On that team, he had negative yardage against a so-so Dallas defense.

But it's all subjective as to who be the better back.
  20. nyc-cowboy

nyc-cowboy Member

523 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    Seen Emmitt vs Barry a few times around here but what about Emmitt vs Walter Payton.....