1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

TLH: Emmitt vs. Barry, a Favorite Debate

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Hostile, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,893 Messages
    1,399 Likes Received
    It's funny you mention Adrian Peterson-- I'd say he Peterson is definitely the more talented of the two (as many modern day players are more talented to their yesteryear counterparts), but Peterson is like a modern day Jim Brown-- both guys tall, physically imposing backs, but Brown was 15 lbs heavier. And while yes, Peterson does it against better talent, that doesn't make him more dominant-- a relative term used to show how much better he was than his peers and his competition.

Just to keep things short, Jim Brown held the rushing title 8 out of his 9 years in the league. Peterson, 2 out of 6 years so far meaning he'll likely never touch anything close to that record.

So to recap, Peterson may be the better player, more talented, more explosive player, but he didn't dominate the field of play like Brown did.
  2. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,893 Messages
    1,399 Likes Received
    Ya got me. Who does Emmitt think is the best all time? Himself, or Barry?
  3. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

12,322 Messages
    2,214 Likes Received
    We are talking human beings, not cyborgs...
  4. BAZ

BAZ Drunken Mick

2,759 Messages
    599 Likes Received
    It's also worth pointing out that Emmitt was on bad teams after the Superbowl run. Apart from LA, things got lean for him. It's easy to hate on Smith becuase nobody has kind words to say about him. But some where in the top five is fair. Hos I liked the article, but Curtis Martin over Sanders really doesn't help your case, thats a strecth buddy.
  5. Trent

Trent New Member

22 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    That is true. Barry may have been a better runner...but Emmitt was the better Running Back. He was complete...running/catching/blocking....he had it all.
  6. Trent

Trent New Member

22 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Yep, a completly meaningless game, I beleive..I think we were losing and may have even been out of the playoffs(can't remember exactly) but carried him off on a stretcher....But If memory serves, and I am getting older, but he did play the next week.
  7. CowboyGil

CowboyGil Well-Known Member

1,194 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    I think Jim Brown was definitely the toughest. The guys today maybe more athletic, but there weren't near as many rules protecting skill players back then as today . Guys could pretty much punch you in the face to bring you down.
    All around-Emmitt
    pure runner-Sweetness
    most elusive-Sanders
  8. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

13,372 Messages
    847 Likes Received
    You be a very self assured guy.
    You dont care for the "If Emmitt had been a lion" thought.
    YET YOU KNOW FOR SURE emmitt would not have quit on his team (presumably the Lions and retired right before training camp; is that your silly argument?)

Then you continue: You know FOR SURE Barry would not be as effective as Emmitt in the Oh-my-shoulder game. So I guess you would buy into the "If BARRY had been a Cowboy" thought?

You are confusing and YOU ARE TEARING ME APART!!!!

lol
  9. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,492 Messages
    2,374 Likes Received
    Just one man's opinion...but here is what Gil Brandt thinks.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...-backs-ever-what-is-ladainian-tomlinsons-rank

He does underrate Emmitt somewhat, imo.
    But the overall list is pretty solid...just maybe not the order.

1. Jim Brown
    2. Barry Sanders
    3. Walter Payton
    4. Gale Sayers
    5. OJ Simpson
    6. Earl Campbell
    7. Eric Dickerson
    8. Tony Dorsett
    9. LeDamian Tomlinson
    10. Emmitt Smith
    Mentions: Faulk, Thomas, etc

There have been a ton of lists over the years and you can find almost any order.

Some guy named Joe Posnowski put out alist for SI a few years ago that had Emmitt 3rd and Barry 4th.

The "Top10Lists" had Sanders 1st and did not even have Emmitt in the top 10. That's extreme.

Mike olsen did a list for men's Fitness: as always, it had brown 1st. It also had Sanders 2nd and Smith 4th.

The Brown, Payton, Sanders are almost always in the top 5 though, and Brown is probably first 95% of the time.
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  10. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,058 Messages
    2,974 Likes Received
    People can put Sanders as high as they want. I am merely doing the same. To me, his brand of dodgeball football was a losing style, and History bears me out. He did nothing on the big stage, the Lions actually got better after he left, and those things to me are very telling. Exciting as hell, but I would not want him on my football team. It is really just that simple for me.
    mrmojo likes this.
  11. Lonestar94

Lonestar94 Well-Known Member

3,523 Messages
    724 Likes Received
    Walter Payton
  12. mrmojo

mrmojo Well-Known Member

1,329 Messages
    363 Likes Received

Thumbs up!! Couldn't agree more. They replayed the 92 NFC championship on NFL Network the other day and i wouldn't have wanted anyone else on THAT field that day, as my running back, except Emmitt.
  13. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

12,322 Messages
    2,214 Likes Received
    LT above Emmitt... He's smoking serious crack... Campbell, you can't even argue cause he didn't last anywhere near Emmitt. I mean this list is a joke where Emmitt is at.
  14. DFWJC

23,492 Messages
    2,374 Likes Received
    Thought some might find it amusing.
    I think he usually falls in the 4-8 range....unless it's a Cowboy fan poll.

On a side note, when Peterson retires, I suspect he will be on many top 10 lists.

BTW, Emmitt played longer than everyone on that list (not just Campbell). He did so in very large part due to his singular focus to get more yards to break the record.
    He was more driven by personal goals than any player that I can ever recall. He would be the very first to admit it too....and has done so many times.
    That is one reason after 13 years in the league, he kept playing in Arizona.

Many of the guys on that list could have played many years longer (probably not Cambell though). Certainly Sanders and Jim Brown and some others. But they had nice careers and decided to hang it up while still somewhat on top.

Emmitt was unique, for sure.
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  15. BAZ

BAZ Drunken Mick

2,759 Messages
    599 Likes Received
    Hey kept playing in Arizona because his last play would have been Roy breaking his shoulder in the hole, his last season he got close as you can to a 1000 yards, he left the game the game didn't leave him for a 34 year old that remarkable. People will always sell this short because people are morons that like to rip heros down. Smith was special, anybody outside of football can see that. You can say he was chasing numbers, but if you were him and Tuna pushed out for whathisface? Tanbrick? And you let that retire you, what kind of man would you be?
  16. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,726 Messages
    623 Likes Received
    Brandt should just enter a home. He has lost it completely. Placing the NFL leading rusher OF ALL TIME as 10th on his list is ludicrous to the point of senility.
  17. DFWJC

23,492 Messages
    2,374 Likes Received
    He could have played for as long as he wanted. He certainly earned that right.
  18. Ring Leader

Ring Leader Active Member

882 Messages
    194 Likes Received
    In summary, there was no "quit" in Emmitt, unlike many of the others.