1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

TLH: Is More DeMarco Murray A Good Thing?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by NeonDeion21, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,605 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    Interesting thing to me is all these stories pop up about Murray seem to not be giving enough credit to what will prove to be one of the better defensive fronts this season.

I will be very interested to see how mccoy does against this front on thursday, but as for murray, every back will miss some holes but it wasnt a good game for him hopefully he doesnt press too hard cause of the criticism and comes out with a big game to shut everyone up.
    BAT likes this.
  2. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

3,117 Messages
    609 Likes Received
    One point no one seems to be making, including myself, is when the defense fakes those 8 man fronts, the running back is reading it just like the quarterback. I think Murray psyched himself out, just like Romo did.They both panicked. Romo's panic caused him to throw the ball too quickly and errantly. As well as causing him to make poor audible decisions. Murray's panic caused him to have tunnel vision and instead of seeking out the hole, he just tried to muscle for yards.

I blame the panic on the coaches, but Romo and Murray have to correct their issues or it will plague is all season.
  3. Rainy

Rainy Member

37 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    Has anyone thought of perhaps saving Murray for only the second half of the game or the 4th quarter?
    Forgive me for not knowing all our players stats but the general consensus here is that we do have faster backs. Why cant we use these faster backs in the beginning of games to loosen up the defense/possibly score quickly.
    Murray can then be free to be Murray and pound the defense when they are tired towards the end of the game. Clock control and he has a better chance of breaking out from the tired tacklers
  4. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

5,478 Messages
    1,456 Likes Received
    Murray running out of stamina is not the issue here. There are numerous problems and starting Dunbar/Tanner is not going to fix it. In theory, your idea would be a good one, but it really isn't in the ballpark for what is wrong.
  5. Rainy

Rainy Member

37 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    Didn't mean to suggest Murray was running out of stamina. Just thought that using him towards the end of games meant he would be running against a defense that is out of stamina which suits his style: breaking tackles. Tired defenders would hopefully mean weaker attempts at tackling.

If Dunbar's speed is really worth the hype that i've read on this board, this short route passing thing would be better suited to a guy who has the speed/shiftiness to outrun the defense. Same could also be said on why we dont use Hanna as his speed is supposedly a mismatch for linebackers. If you got speed, USE IT! Make the defense chase you and wear them out
  6. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

5,478 Messages
    1,456 Likes Received
    Gotcha, but I don't have any answers. I think the offensive coaches don't know how to utilize they players they have now so it is moot. Also, it does take more than 12 carries for a RB to get into a rhythm and if mainly using him in the 4th, not sure it would work anyways.
  7. Q_the_man

Q_the_man Active Member

2,337 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Seriously, how can you expect a RB to bring his average up if u don't run him. we all know average are just that averages. One big run of say 40 yards makes that 3.2 go up to 5.1 for example. All we do is pass. for example check this out.
    1st and 10 we run for 3 yards
    2 and 7 we pass, 3rd down we pass- everytime

why not 1st and 10 run for 3
    2nd and 7 run for 4
    then 3rd and 3, we could run or pass. Guys don't blame Demarco, we just don't run the dang ball, no matter who the RB is
  8. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

4,852 Messages
    658 Likes Received
    You left out getting tackled by piece of grass.
  9. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

4,852 Messages
    658 Likes Received
    I remember the Detroit game in 2011. We were up by 24 points in the 3rd quarter and it was 1st and 10 at our 27. Most teams, up by that much, would tried to run at that point of the game. Especially with that field position. We try to throw a short pass to Dez and it gets intercepted and that's what started the Detroit's comeback win.
  10. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

3,117 Messages
    609 Likes Received
    Yeah. I was there...
  11. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,521 Messages
    467 Likes Received
    You sure about that?
  12. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

12,894 Messages
    649 Likes Received
    Agreed. I think we should start the game with 20 Murray carries to get that out of the way and win.
    Rack Bauer likes this.
  13. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

2,886 Messages
    1,097 Likes Received
    meant 8-0
  14. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,521 Messages
    467 Likes Received
    He's had 9 games of 20+ carries (10 games of 20+ touches overall).

And if he consistently found and ran through the hole he'd get more carries.
  15. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

2,886 Messages
    1,097 Likes Received
    And I believe all wins, correct?

I simply don’t agree with the seemly new (to me) perception that he lacks vision. I do think he’s more of a physical North/South runner than other finesse RBs, but I have seen him run well and believe if the OL consistently blocks and opens up holes he will hit them for good gains.

We will see throughout the season, tough, as he will continue to start.
  16. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,508 Messages
    751 Likes Received
    Murray is the best back the Cowboys have they need him throughout the entire game. Rarely are the Cowboys in a position where they can use a back to control the clock and close out games because they're usually having to come from behind.
  17. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,779 Messages
    3,279 Likes Received
    Why did we spend a draft pick on Randle? Insurance when murray gets hurt?
  18. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    You would use Murry to wear them out in the first half of the game and a Dunbar-type guy to run by the worn out defense in the 2nd half of the game, theoretically.
  19. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,521 Messages
    467 Likes Received
    Then you're on the incorrect side of the argument. That's ok.

Plus, why don't you check the carries by quarter in those wins if you're so certain we won cuz he got 20+ carries (as opposed to he got 20+ carries cuz we were winning).

I'd bet in at least half those games we were running to protect leads, not create leads.
  20. lane

lane The Chairman

10,439 Messages
    392 Likes Received
    murray and dunbar are better when they catch the ball out in space.

let randle and tanner do the running...