1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

To blitz or not to blitz Griffin today....

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Risen Star, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,008 Messages
    9,092 Likes Received
    If you follow Bryan Broaddus on twitter, you know he's been telling us all week the Cowboys intend to bring the heat on Griffin today. Despite his success so far against the blitz. He's mentioned it so many times that I don't know if he's really trying to drive the point home as what we will in fact see, or if he's floating some misinformation out there for the good of the team.

My question is do you like the idea of aggressively coming after Griffin in this game?
  2. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,713 Messages
    1,217 Likes Received
    Hard to say. He's been good against the blitz thus far this year but I hate letting any QB just sit back there and have time to decide where he wants to go with it.

Which also gives him time to decide he'll take off and run when everyone else is busy covering.

This is a tough match up I believe.
  3. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

2,383 Messages
    619 Likes Received
    Ryan rarely blitzes, I don't think he will start today.
  4. BAZ

BAZ Drunken Mick

2,691 Messages
    554 Likes Received
    I'd like to see a few corner/safety blitz getting put in there. Just a little something to disrupt Griffin.
  5. BAZ

BAZ Drunken Mick

2,691 Messages
    554 Likes Received
    Anything but a three man rush.
  6. Risen Star

22,008 Messages
    9,092 Likes Received
    For me, I want to stop the QB runs more than I would worry about the passing game. I'll take my chances with him in the pocket rather than giving up cheap yards with him running.
  7. JerryFan

JerryFan Active Member

1,243 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    This is what I'm thinking. I don't think were gonna be blitz happy I just think were gonna try and confuse him and give some different looks. I think we will blitz some but I think it's gonna be a lot of disguiseing and trying to confuse rather then all out blitzes all the time.
  8. popp1234

popp1234 You will never outwork me, you talented bum! Zone Supporter

3,219 Messages
    252 Likes Received
    We bring the pressure. If the rookie hurts us a couple times, well, we adjust and go with gameplan B, There is a plan B, right Rob?
  9. 8FOR!3

8FOR!3 Well-Known Member

1,338 Messages
    50 Likes Received
    You've got to rush him. He's going to be more effective if he's got all day to find someone or run the ball if nobody's open. Plus it's not like we've been shutting down the other team's wideouts.
  10. BAZ

BAZ Drunken Mick

2,691 Messages
    554 Likes Received
    If the three man rush gets pressure, but history has taught us otherwise.
  11. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

38,322 Messages
    4,212 Likes Received
    I think they need to be selective and mix up their blitzes. They also need to be careful who they send and they have got to wrap this guy up. You cannot all out blitz and miss then lose containment.

Carter and Mims are excellent choices to blitz this guy. They are just as fast and can wrap and hit. Target this guy for some legal licks.

This is not going to be easy. Shanahan is a very good coach and will adjust from series to series.
  12. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

6,538 Messages
    468 Likes Received
    Stop Alfred Morris and all this blitz talk becomes irrelevant. Griffin is going to make some plays whether we blitz or not. The key to getting the Skins offense off the field is stopping their run game...
  13. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

39,294 Messages
    1,725 Likes Received
    I say go get him. Our corners can handle it.
  14. Risen Star

22,008 Messages
    9,092 Likes Received
    That's not the issue. The issue is if you blitz and he gets out of there, he's got lots of open space to kill you with some big runs.

If he beats us today it'll be because of those kinds of plays.
  15. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,356 Messages
    762 Likes Received
    THIS!
  16. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,039 Messages
    144 Likes Received
    Good question. RG3 seems to do well against the blitz, making it a risky call. Perhaps the Cowboys will do a bit more of variety on who will be the 4th rusher. Looking at their stats and their WR corps, maybe doubling Moss and going for a steady 4 man rush might be the best choice.
  17. jayhouston12

jayhouston12 New Member

543 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    there you go

Morris opens the game up for giffin stop morris and we limit rg3 sure rg3 will make some great plays and scramble away a few times but hey he did that against carolina and they didn't allow a touchdown for 59 minutes
  18. JBell523

JBell523 That's my Quarterback

3,295 Messages
    535 Likes Received
    Bend don't break. Make RGIII string together 10+ play drives without miscues to get points on the board.

Last thing I wanna see is the back of Scandricks Jersey on a Cov. 0 blitz and Santana Moss celebrating in the endzone.
  19. Risen Star

22,008 Messages
    9,092 Likes Received
    Garcon is finally healthy and figures to be the main cog in their passing offense going forward.

Still, their passing game doesn't concern me. Their QB running for huge chunks of yards does.
  20. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    He's probably wrong like usual, or deliberately trying to mislead. Blitzing Griffin leaving man coverage for him to take off and run sounds crazy. I'd play zone all day to keep all eyes on him and try to make him methodically march the ball down the field.