1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

To the gurus: Are we maximizing Lee and Carter

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by vlad, Oct 15, 2013.

1. vlad

vlad Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

1,064 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    After last year when Carter was playing out of his mind in place of Lee I was thinking these guys would be amazing attacking playmakers....questions to those that know:

1. Was Ryan's scheme more aggressive with their use of these players vs Kiffin's scheme being more reactive? How do they play different in those two schemes?
    2. Are there other 4-3 schemes that have players you'd like to see these guys play more like? How do they play differently?

thanks
  2. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,196 Messages
    1,543 Likes Received
    I dont think, after the last couple of weeks, you could get much more out of Sean Lee. Having said that, this defense is designed to be a bit more passive in terms of having the LBs go forward.

However, when Ware went down, it looked like Carter was rushing the passer a lot more than in the past. I'd expect that trend to continue b/c there is no way even this coaching staff can have faith in this DLine to get consistent pressure with just 4.
  3. TheRomoSexual

TheRomoSexual Well-Known Member

2,504 Messages
    1,023 Likes Received
    If you could build prototype 4-3 MLB and WLB , those prototypes would look very similar to Lee and Carter respectively. Lee and been great and Carter is improving. Patience
  4. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,678 Messages
    1,528 Likes Received
    My $.02:
    The positives

Lee has been an absolute madman against the run. My goodness it feels like he is making all the tackles for the team. His range is incredible. I honestly haven't seen ability to cover territory in the run a game like this from a LB since maybe Urlacher in his prime or Ray Lewis when he was younger.

The negatives

To me, Bruce Carter has just been average against the run. He hasn't stood out a bit and I couldn't tell him apart, at this stage of the season, than any number of run-of-the-mill 4-3 ILBs in the NFL.

In terms of pass coverage, Lee has been terrible. PFF has his opposing QB rating as 131.6. Bruce Carter's is also terrible (but not shockingly bad like Lee's) at 109.6.

PFF has Lee and Carter collectively responsible for allowing 562 yards of receiving when they have been targeted. 562 yards!!! That would be a terrible number for a year -- the fact that they've given up that many yard in 6 games is one of the main reasons why the defense was on track to give up the most TD passes in NFL history and over 5000 yards passing (maybe be lower after the Redskins game).

Summary

Yes, the Cowboys could be getting much much more out of Sean Lee and Bruce Carter. Lee is more than holding up his end in the run game, however, collectively the two of them are the worst pair of 4-3 ILBs in the entire NFL against the pass. They must improve against the pass or the Cowboys dreams of advancing far in the playoffs are just that - dreams.
  5. cowboys1981

cowboys1981 Well-Known Member

2,133 Messages
    1,069 Likes Received
    I think both are still transitioning to the scheme. I think they both had an impact Sunday night. I'm confident that they will be more effective vs the pass as they get settled.
  6. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,678 Messages
    1,528 Likes Received
    I agree that we can expect improvement against the pass with Lee and Carter because frankly it can't get much worse. Eventually they should get more comfortable with the deep-drops required in the Kiffin 4-3.
  7. Stryker44

Stryker44 Active Member

826 Messages
    46 Likes Received
    Seriously its amazing about Lee...how the heck does he cut that fast and take down RGIII mano e mano in the open field? What's going on...he shouldn't be able to do that?
  8. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,507 Messages
    6,258 Likes Received
    You never know what it's going to be going into a season. Lee and Carter in coverage were probably the least of my worries with the scheme change. But the season is long. Last year, the last thing I'd have expected on offense was Jason Witten with a case of the dropsies. We all know how that turned out.
  9. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

3,254 Messages
    692 Likes Received
    The only thing keeping us from using them most effectively, is the lack of talent on the defensive line now. Linemen are getting to the second level a little too quickly.