1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Todd McShay: Cowboys will select CB Janoris Jenkins despite character issues

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by JonJon, Feb 7, 2012.

1. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,032 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    [IMG]

Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama: Jenkins is highly skilled but has had off-the-field issues. He was kicked off of Florida's team after his second drug-related arrest in three months. In 2009, he was arrested near a Gainesville, Fla., bar for fighting and resisting arrest. He transferred to North Alabama for his senior season.

"Corner is a top need area, and Jenkins proved at the Senior Bowl that he's still an elite cover corner after spending a year at the Division II level," McShay wrote. "Dallas will need to get comfortable with his character issues, though, including legal issues that led to his dismissal from the Florida program."

[Read full article here]
  2. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,609 Messages
    1,154 Likes Received
    We'll see I suppose.
  3. Illini88228

Illini88228 Well-Known Member

1,203 Messages
    121 Likes Received
    What are we? the Island of Misfit Toys? Why do the "experts" always have us drafting character risks?
  4. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    Probably because the last few years has shown Dallas' willingness to do so.
  5. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,685 Messages
    1,391 Likes Received
    In this case we are badly in need of a guy with this level of talent at this position.

And I hate to be the bearer of bad news but NFL players smoke a tremendous amount of Pot. There is a reason guys like Sam Hurd, Kurt Vollers, Nate Newton are trafficking it. NFL players are willing to pay quite well for it and in large supply.

Warren Sapp tested positive pre-draft. So did Randy Moss. You start refusing to hire guys for what they did at 20 that wasn't even a felony and you will end up with a short list of possible draftees.

You have to do homework on these guys to see if they have grown up at all. Jenkins says he did. Spending a year at a small school with 3k fans was humbling for him. I don't know if that is believable or not as I wasn't in the room but it does sound like what I'd want to hear.

I did far worse things than these kids when I was 19-22 and thankfully it never stopped me from becoming a productive white collar citizen.
  6. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Why do I doubt that Todd McShay has any clue as to what the Dallas Cowboys are thinking when it comes to the draft??

For that matter, I seriously doubt that the Cowboys themselves have come to any decisions about who they're gonna draft in the first round...
  7. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Uhhh, what character risk have the Boys drafted in the last few years??
  8. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    It will cease being a "big deal" as soon as the NFL takes it off it's banned substance list and quits testing for it. If everyone's doing it and not getting caught, then Jenkins must be pretty dumb to keep habitually getting caught. There's not much reason to believe he's not so dumb he won't get caught again in the pros.
  9. Hoofbite

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    Generally speaking, this team has not been shy about taking a risk on character issues.

Wasn't that long ago when Dallas had multiple of them on the team at the same time.

I suppose we could say they don't draft them because of the investment involved but that doesn't change the fact that they have taken on certain players because their pros outweighed the assumed cons.

If that's what the staff thinks of this kid, why wouldn't they take him?

If they think he's so good that the risk is worth it, you don't think they will take him?
  10. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,609 Messages
    1,154 Likes Received

They're going to say Dez Bryant for one.
  11. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,685 Messages
    1,391 Likes Received
    Getting caught in college is much different than in the pros when every guy around you knows how to pass tests and you can afford the best masking agents.

How many NFL players get caught for weed? How many guys like Stepnoski openly admitted he was an avid fan and user but never got caught? Yet every year a few draftees get caught. Its about education and access.

If Jenkins doesn't get in trouble and stays at Florida another year he is a top 5 pick. He shut down Julio Jones and AJ Green in college. He has far and away the best resume of this CB class.
  12. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,916 Messages
    3,415 Likes Received
    Because they have heard Rob Ryan and Jerry talk about the needs in the secondary. Of course I don't think anyone has told McShay who Dallas will pick I think they are looking at the top prospects at CB in the draft and tying them to the Cowboys.

No doubt Janoris Jenkins is a quality player he also is a risk player because of his off the field problems.
  13. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,904 Messages
    1,009 Likes Received
    This is what it comes down to I guess. Yes he has talent the Cowboys need but can he be trusted? Can they live with his inability to make good decisions at this stage in his life. We'll find out.
  14. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,038 Messages
    144 Likes Received
    The talent and potential are there, otherwise no team would even be considering him at the top of the draft.

Question is, are the love of football, smarts, dedication, team player, etc there as well?

For every Sapp and Moss skipped, there are several self induced failures taken high in the draft.
  15. Doomsday101

77,916 Messages
    3,415 Likes Received
    Difference is he comes in with a reputation and the league will monitor him much closer
  16. Hoofbite

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    That wouldn't be random would it?

I think the difference is, he's been caught. How many players are caught at the college level?

How many are caught as many times as him? How many get kicked off their team and have to play for B.F.E. State for a season?

It's not the ability to circumvent the system that catches kids at the college level. It's the stupidity of assuming they can and that they have some free pass because of it.

The only thing this kid might have going for him is that he may have learned his lesson. Although, any lesson learned will likely soon be forgotten when that first NFL paycheck comes in.
  17. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,685 Messages
    1,391 Likes Received

Based on information obtained from NFL team executives, agents, scouts and trainers, just under one-third of the 327 players who attended this year's NFL pre-draft scouting camp, or combine, had some incident involving marijuana turn up in interviews or background checks—which NFL teams collect and share before and during the event. This number represents a 30% increase from the season before. The NFL and its players union declined to comment on these totals.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703876404575199962001994890.html
  18. Doomsday101

77,916 Messages
    3,415 Likes Received
    He may have learned his lesson hard to say. On the other hand the temptations are greater in the NFL, as a college kid he was not getting paid millions he now will and along with that money comes hanger ons and thugs looking to for a free ride and people who will take you down. You think keeping clean as a young broke kid is hard, it becomes much harder
  19. Hoofbite

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    How many tested positive?

The league is not naive to the real world. They know that players use. They just don't care so long as the player is not getting caught.

That's the long and short.

Getting caught is where the real concern comes in because getting caught takes players out of games and costs teams a butt-load of negative publicity.
  20. Doomsday101

77,916 Messages
    3,415 Likes Received
    And that has what to do with anything? He has had more than 1 run in with the law, he was kicked off his team at Florida his judgement has stunk and now he will be entering the NFL where you are a man free to do and see who you want take money from who you want and get paid big money with every gangster wanna be there to take you down. Now if your judgement stinks as a broke kid I doubt the judgement gets better as a highly paid kid