1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Tom Landry

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by BARRYRAY, Mar 26, 2006.

1. BARRYRAY

BARRYRAY Active Member

1,237 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    I didn't see this as a post, but Tom got a marker in the state cemetary here in Austin, lots of ex-cowboys and politicos came, Roger was here, the marker is absolutely beautiful, when the light hits it in the aft. it reflects silver and blue, if you're passing thru its right off the interstate, a memory for us oldsters, sorry if somebody else posted.....
  2. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,580 Messages
    516 Likes Received

Thanks for the info, BarryRay!

I'm gonna have to take a trip up to Austin very soon just too see it. :D
  3. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,365 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Thanks for the post...I wasn't aware of that information.
  4. parchy

parchy Active Member

2,252 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Where in Austin?
  5. NorthTexan95

NorthTexan95 Well-Known Member

1,248 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Ah man ... I was just in Austin this weekend. I would have stopped by had I known. The cemetary is a great place to visit. It takes an act of the Texas Congress to be buried there. That's a big honor by the State of Texas for Landry.
  6. FoldedSpace

FoldedSpace Member

174 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Thanks for the info...I hadn't heard
  7. BARRYRAY

BARRYRAY Active Member

1,237 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    Get out the map for better directions but it is in East Austin within a mile of I-35 near downtown, you can see the tall buildings from there so its real claose to downtown, it would make a great stop on the pilgrimage to SA for training camp, I'm so rocked that they are coming back to my area, whoever made the marker really knew his stuff there was a pictuer of it in the Austin paper and it is really striking, kind of like Tom. What I really liked about him was his ability to take the highs and lows in stride....
  8. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,652 Messages
    1,399 Likes Received
  9. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,398 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    If you can take a picture for me Rack
  10. DallasCowpoke111

DallasCowpoke111 Benched

2,242 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    [IMG]

[IMG]

Texas legend Landry joins his peers
    Former Cowboys coach is honored with cenotaph in Texas State Cemetery.

By Suzanne Halliburton
    AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
    Saturday, March 25, 2006

Alicia Landry suffered a disturbing dream one evening while she was planning a memorial service to honor "Tommy," her beloved husband.

In her vision, only 10 people showed up for the ceremony, but reality proved far different Friday afternoon at the Texas State Cemetery.

More than 100 invited guests showed up to celebrate the life of Alicia's Tommy, better known to all football-loving Texans as Tom Landry, the legendary coach of the Dallas Cowboys who rose to state icon long before he died six years ago of leukemia.

Landry, who was 75 when he died, was celebrated Friday by former coaches and players who helped the Cowboys win two Super Bowl titles during a tenure that stretched from 1960-89.

"This is a tremendous honor to be here," said Rayfield Wright, the former Cowboys offensive tackle who was selected to the NFL Hall of Fame two months ago. "I really loved everything Coach Landry stood for."

Texas Gov. Rick Perry said, "He was one of the greatest coaches in the world of any sport, of any era. More important, he was one of the finest human beings that Texas has ever produced."

Landry's life certainly fit the definition of Texas legend. After growing up in Mission, he became a World War II hero, flying raids in a B-17 bomber over Europe. He then captained the University of Texas football team to two bowl victories in the late 1940s.

Landry is buried in a cemetery in central Dallas. Friday's ceremony was to dedicate a cenotaph — a marker erected to honor a person whose remains are buried elsewhere. Shortly after he was diagnosed with cancer in 1999, Landry was approved for burial at the cemetery, which also is the resting place for many state legends, including 14 signers of the Texas Declaration of Independence, 10 Civil War generals and 12 governors.

Landry's marker, made of glistening blue pearl-colored granite, sits under a sprawling oak tree in the cemetery's old section. Nearby are the burial sites of former Texas Gov. John Connally and Lt. Gov. Bob Bullock, along with Edmund J. Davis, a Union general and state governor.

When the sun is rising early in the morning or setting late in the afternoon, it hits the granite in such a way that the marker sparkles silver and blue — Cowboys colors.

The Landry family paid for the marker; the state furnished the spot to place it. Before a change in the rules in 1997, the only people eligible for burial at the 155-year-old cemetery were statewide elected officials and Civil War soldiers.

Willie Wells, a star shortstop in baseball's Negro Leagues from the 1920s through the 1940s, is the only other sports figure buried or memorialized at the cemetery. Darrell Royal, the former football coach who won three national championships at the University of Texas, also has been approved for burial. Royal, a spry 81-year-old, attended the Landry ceremony, as did current Texas football coach Mack Brown.

"I knew him when I was a young coach," Brown said of Landry. "I admired him for what he stood for. He taught coaches how to win championships with class and dignity."

Roger Staubach, one of Landry's quarterbacks and a member of the National Football League Hall of Fame, presented Alicia Landry with a dozen yellow roses. And fellow Hall of Famer Bob Lilly, a former Cowboy who lives in Georgetown, closed the ceremony when he presented a Lone Star flag to Alicia, giving her a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

Once the ceremony ended, Alicia Landry served lemonade, ice cream custard and dozens of homemade oatmeal cookies baked by Jim Myers, Landry's old offensive line coach.

Staubach joked with a few friends that he half expected to see Landry quietly taking in the ceremony. Others did, too.

"He was back there, coming in from the south," joked Jerry Tubbs, who played and coached for Landry. "Tom Landry was quite a guy. He was about as good of a coach as there could be. And he was an even better man."
  11. poke

poke the older I get the better I was

2,574 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    thanks to all of ya'll who posted the directions, photos and the story.
    i will definitely be keeping all of this on my computer for a future trip.