1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Toney vs. Couture

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by Givincer, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Givincer

Givincer Well-Known Member

1,826 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    So who does everyone think is going to win?

I am real excited for this fight.

I think what has made me so excited is hearing how confident Toney is. It's pretty incredible the way he talks about it. I know he doesn't sound the brightest, but I don't think you can really fake the confidence he's shown. And I also think there is something to be said for top boxers (even though he no longer really is one) being able to do well in UFC. We'll see if Toney can prove me right tomorrow.

Anyway, I was wondering what everyone else thought.
  2. johnny utah

johnny utah Guest

This is a very interesting fight to me. I'm a fan of mma and boxing but have always thought that boxers are much more talented than mma fighters. However, considering they are fighting using MMA rules I believe you have to give the advantage to Couture. The thing is Couture has never fought anyone with the punching power of James Toney, and you also have to consider they will be fighting in 4 oz gloves Saturday and Toney usually fights in 10 oz gloves. I'm not sure what will happenn Saturday but I think Toney gets a first round KO.
  3. Rampage

Rampage Benched

24,117 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think Randy takes him down and does whatever he wants
  4. laythewood28

laythewood28 Active Member

1,575 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    toney taps out.
  5. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,036 Messages
    2,271 Likes Received
    James Toney will get lucky and win and the boxing people will go nuts the next day and the sport of MMA will die and boxing will once again rule the sports worl when it comes to fights!
  6. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

11,089 Messages
    488 Likes Received
    Toney's only chance is to catch Couture before Couture gets his hands on him once Couture gets his hands on him all the boxing skills in the world won't help
  7. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,287 Messages
    1,234 Likes Received
    haha, I know it's terrible but I hope Toney wins.
  8. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

11,089 Messages
    488 Likes Received
    The only way he wins in a KO which would be a lot more fun then watching Couture spoon him for 15 minutes
  9. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,287 Messages
    1,234 Likes Received
    If Couture can't finish him, that'd be one hell of an embarrassment for him.
  10. TheDallasDon

TheDallasDon AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee

2,520 Messages
    141 Likes Received
    James Toney was my favorte Middle Wieght and all the hate on him...........so I hope he wins, hey he's got a punchers chance
  11. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,920 Messages
    1,375 Likes Received
    Exactly.

Unless Randy just decides to be totally stupid, and stand and trade punches with him, then Randy should be able to easily win this fight by taking him down and destroying Toney on the ground.

If Randy takes him down there is no way, IMO, that Toney gets anywhere near lasting 15 minutes. If Randy takes him down early this one is over in the first round.
  12. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    Anyone watching?
  13. Hoofbite

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    That was really, really, really.........gay.

Toney had nothing. My connection stuttered at the beginning. Did he even throw a punch from standing?

I can't believe this fight was booked.
  14. tupperware

tupperware A Plastic Container

7,269 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    Mega Ownage.
  15. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

11,089 Messages
    488 Likes Received
    But, but, but boxers are so much more skilled fighters.. :laugh2:
  16. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I can't belive it was second billing on a PPV event. A complete disservice and slap in the face by Dana to his other more deserving fighters who have spilled their blood and guts in the octogon for that slotting.
  17. Hoofbite

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    Dude was just out of his element.

If Couture stepped into Toney's world, it'd be the same sort of lop-sided result but in favor of Toney.
  18. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

11,089 Messages
    488 Likes Received
    So?

If we're talking about who the better fighter is then Boxing is irrelevant since you can box all you want in MMA. He's not being limited in anyway like a MMA fighter would be in boxing, if he's a better fighter he shouldn't be dominated like that in a fight
  19. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,068 Messages
    1,228 Likes Received
    Toney hasn't been a good boxer in 10 years, why would someone think he'd be a good MMA fighter?

This had fail written all over it. I just hope no one got suckered into paying for it (assuming it was PPV).
  20. Hoofbite

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    That's like pitting Dez Bryant against some scrub baseball player in a hitting contest.

Dez isn't being limited to use his superior athleticism but I bet he'd lose miserably. (I actually don't know if Dez played baseball or not, that wasn't my point.)

Different rules, different worlds.

If you don't have even the basic skill set to survive under a specific set of rules, I don't know how you can make an honest comparison.

It's two completely different things. Each guy would win at his perspective sport unless a lucky haymaker says otherwise.