1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Tony Casillas says 90s Cowboys used horse treatment

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Royal Laegotti, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Royal Laegotti

Royal Laegotti Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!

4,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  2. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,893 Messages
    1,783 Likes Received
    Brown Glass Bottle. I remember that stuff. That was in HS lockers in the 80s. Probably way before that too.
  3. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,242 Messages
    1,573 Likes Received
    Author raises a good point asking why bother bringing this up now.

Also, if everyone knew about it, and it was so effective, I bet lots of players/teams did.
  4. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,829 Messages
    1,776 Likes Received
    They asked him about it on Radio Row when the Ray Lewis deer antler stuff came out.
  5. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    That's a tricky way to look at drugs that end up on the banned substance list. The article says that this drug isn't even on the list right now so I'm not sure it's something they would even get in trouble for today.

But, say tomorrow some new PED comes out and it works wonders, maybe even better than stuff like steroids or HGH. Obviously it will take a little time for the NFL to catch on to it so for all the players who use it until it gets added to the list, what do we think of them?

It wasn't banned at the time they used it. Of course, it wasn't banned because nobody knew it existed.

Doesn't change the fact that the players taking it were trying to get an advantage they wouldn't be able to get, or would have to work for years to get, without the drug.
  6. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,242 Messages
    1,573 Likes Received
    I understand that. But I'm sure he knows the can of worms that talking about this kind of thing could potentially open. Why bother?
  7. justbob

justbob The Peacemaker Staff Member

6,854 Messages
    323 Likes Received
    Dmso is an anti inflammatory that can be applied to the skin. It is absorbed very rapidly. You rub it on horses joints and many humans use it too. It is also used as a carrier for other medications such as topical hormone replacement treatments.
  8. Royal Laegotti

Royal Laegotti Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!

4,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I guess what I mean is that I don't think a big deal will be made of it.

I agree with what you are saying though. I believe it's morally wrong to use PED's. But it's always going to be part of sports and something you have to ask yourself is will you let it stop you from being a fan. I'm not there yet, somday I may get there.
  9. ABQCOWBOY

34,893 Messages
    1,783 Likes Received
    Until it's banned, it's Legal. The only way the NFL could make it fair is if it came out with a rule that said no substances could be used at all. That will never happen of course. Players are going to use whatever they can because if they don't, somebody else will and that will cost them a job. Teams are going to encourage the use of anything within the rules because if they don't, you are not going to compete with teams that do.

I see no way around that.
  10. ABQCOWBOY

34,893 Messages
    1,783 Likes Received
    And that's why it's nice to have a Horse Dr. in the house.

;)
  11. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,692 Messages
    1,121 Likes Received
    Google DMSO, it's pretty harmless. Casillas just thought he was doing something bad. Nothing wrong with it.
  12. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,036 Messages
    144 Likes Received
    My mother uses DMSO for her arthritis and says it's great. My grandmother used it into her 90's. The main thing you have to be sure of is that it's pure medicinal grade and not solvent run off.

Not a big thing.
  13. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

4,569 Messages
    339 Likes Received
    unless it was used as a delivery vehicle for actual PED's, what's the big deal?

I heard the Eagles were juicing with pickle juice in the 00's
  14. Plankton

Plankton Well-Known Member

2,088 Messages
    779 Likes Received
    Aikman used it prior to the regular season game with the 49ers in 1994. He hit his thumb on Darren Studstill's helmet during practice, and his thumb blew up big time.

In the game, he threw for 338 yards, but threw 3 picks and they lost.

Freaking Darren Studstill. Liked him better when he was a QB at West Virginia.
  15. Hoofbite

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    That's kind of where I am at.

At the same time, although it likely didn't help him perform (may have helped recovery), it wasn't because of lack of effort that he didn't have the same advantage that real PED users gain. It appears that he not only thinks that the NFL would frown on it but also that he thinks he was getting something from it.

Pretty much a non-issue aside form the fact of admitting you were trying to cheat but didn't pick the right drug.
  16. justbob

justbob The Peacemaker Staff Member

6,854 Messages
    323 Likes Received

Hoof --no way was it cheating or taking a ped...It would be like using aspercreme or icyhot to loosen up a joint. Sometimes cortisone was mixed with it. Similar results as having a shot on the joint....Just on a much weaker non invasive way. It would help you to play thru arthritis pain or joint inflammation.. But in no way would it enhance you performance any more then a pain pill.
  17. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    If it wasn't against the rules, how was it trying to cheat?
  18. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    yea, i think casillas just really didnt know what he was saying. he hears deer antler spray and comes out with his "animal" substance. Probably didnt even realize the deer antler spray comes from the antlers of deer, while his horse balm is USED on horses - its not horse hormones or anything and there really was no correlation to even make him bring it up in the first place.
  19. Hoofbite

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    It would if he thought it was only aspercreme or icyhot. It doesn't appear as though he did or does. The only difference between the two is that there doesn't appear to have been any real benefit on the level of real PEDS.

I wasn't really commenting on the actual effect of the drug, just the thought process of him taking it. There doesn't have to be a gain to be realized when the intent is clear.

If he thought it was going to give him a boost and was under the impression it was outside the lines, his decision making process is little different than a real PED user even though he likely didn't get any sort of benefit other than a little relief of inflammation.

I'm not arguing that he actually got an unfair advantage from it. I'm saying it appears as though he thought he would and he attempted to.
  20. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

19,782 Messages
    810 Likes Received
    It's only fitting that a poster named "Hoofbite" join this thread. :) ;)