1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Tony Dorsett

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by joseephuss, Aug 11, 2005.

1. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,340 Messages
    1,227 Likes Received
    Went home from work to eat lunch as usual. Flipped on the TV and caught some the Behind the Glory story about Tony D. Good stuff. Lots of college highlights and good footage as a Cowboy.

He talked about the 1987 strike season. He crossed the picket line and played because his last contract was huge and he was in danger of losing the money. Money he says that was part of an annuity that is still paying off today. He showed teammates the contract and he said they encouraged him to cross and do what he needed to do. He feels bad especially considering that none of their strike demands were met at that time.
  2. TonyD33

TonyD33 New Member

10 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Tony D needed to do what was good for Tony D. Dallas sure as hell did what tey felt was good for them whenthey disgarded hm for Hershel Walker. Tony D is still the greatest runner that Dallas ever had - yes, that includes Emmitt. Tony never had the line or passing threat that Emmitt had. If you shut him down, Dallas' offense wwent nowhere. Look at the win record they had when he got over 100 yards rushing. And he did it weighing less than 200 lbs. And , dammitt, I still say Darrell Green had the angle on him and he slowed down at the end of that run!
  3. 2233boys

2233boys Benched

2,283 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I am with you on Dallas ditching Dorsett, didn't care for that at all. As for Dorsett being the best rb in Cowboys History, it is a matter of opinion. I disagree with yours.
    LOL, he played with Roger Staubach and Danny White, Drew Pearson and Tony Hill. If anything he had a better passing attack to play with because of playing with Hill and Pearson, (not to mention Doug Cosbie at TE). By the way when arguing against Emmitt Smith try another arguement aside from the oline, it is tired and lame
    Doomsday Defense ring any bells... By the way the same could be said for Emmitt
    Look at Dallas's winning pct when Emmitt ran for 100 yrds, over 80%.
  4. TonyD33

TonyD33 New Member

10 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Jay Novacek, Micheal Irvin (the Cowboys all time leader in catches), and Alvin Harper did more with Aikman than those receivers with Staubach did - plus with the rules changes the passing game became more of a weapon than ever in the history of the game. Check the numbers and get back to me, genius.

Aikman also surpasses Staubach on most of the passing records so the passing game could pick up the slack when Emmitt was shut down. No need to down play that. Irvin and Harper were one of the most feared tandems in the league.

And blowing off the o line argument is easy when you know that is the bottom line for the runner. Emmitt ran behind a Hall of Fame lineman in Larry Allen and the best blocking fullback with Moose for most of his career. Dorsett had neither. Point blank. You cant deny it. I love Emmitt and the 90s roster. I think Drew Pearson should be in the Hall of Fame. But Dorsett did it with less in my opinion.
  5. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,340 Messages
    1,227 Likes Received

That is funny about the angle. There is no loss of honor being run down by Darrell Green. One of the fastest guys in NFL history. That was in 1983. Tony was 29 or 30 years old playing in his 7th season. Makes sense that a younger guy could catch him. Still took Green all the effort he could muster on that play.

Tony was a joy to watch. It is a matter of preference on who is better between he and Emmitt. I prefer Emmitt, but only slightly. Both played with other weapons around them and both made those weapons more dangerous.