1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Tony Dungy: Problem not Jerry Jones being GM, it's picking a course, staying with it

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by NewsBot, Feb 27, 2014.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot New Member

29,284 Messages
    263 Likes Received
    Former NFL head coach and current analyst Tony Dungy joined The Musers on KTCK-AM. Here are some highlights.

On the Cowboys

Tony Dungy: I see a team kind of in, I don't want to say turmoil, but they're trying to find their identity. Unfortunately, that shouldn't happen this far along in the regime. They've changed from Rob Ryan and a 3-4 blitzing team, man-to-man coverage to now a 4-3 zone defensive team with totally different principles. You need totally different types of players to play that way. They're gonna be fine on defense. Rod Marinelli, Monte Kiffin ... they coached with me. They're great coaches, they'll get it going, but it's going to take a while. You've got Tony Romo, you're building the team around him, a 30-plus year old quarterback. You've gotta make it happen pretty quick. They've got some really talented young offensive players. The window there for them to operate with Romo is small. They've gotta make this transition on defense very fast. It can be done, but it's going to take some time. This draft and signing the players and figuring out who to keep in free agency ... do you keep DeMarcus Ware, do you keep Hatcher? Do you get some of these other players who are available on the market? Those are decisions that are going to impact them. And, frankly, they've got some work to do to catch San Francisco and Seattle. Those are the two dominant teams in the NFC. Dallas is not on that level yet. They can be, but it's going to take a little bit.

Continue reading...
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2014
  2. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,082 Messages
    5,603 Likes Received
    Former NFL head coach and current analyst Tony Dungy joined The Musers on KTCK-AM. Here are some highlights.

Could you have worked for Jerry Jones

Tony Dungy: Oh, I definitely could have worked for him. I like Jerry a lot. I think what he needs to do is decide on which way he's going to go. Set a course and stay with it, with a coach, with an offense. He's done it with his quarterback. You gotta do that with the coach, the coaching staff, with the defense, with everything. Don't get enamored with big-name guys. You need talent and you'll find talented players. But build that team from the top down, knowing that player 53 is just as important as player 10 or player 15. They're gonna be OK. I don't think it's a problem with Jerry being GM, but it's just deciding what course of action you want to have and staying the course.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/da...-gm-it-s-picking-a-course-staying-with-it.ece
    pancakeman and Doomsday101 like this.
  3. bark

bark Well-Known Member

2,259 Messages
    948 Likes Received
    There's a lot of truth in that article
  4. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,553 Messages
    806 Likes Received
    Well Tony, its the GM's job to set that course and vision for the team...... and still nothing, so there's something to the notion that Jerry the GM is a problem. It further validates the Jimmy was in charge back then. Jimmy had a vision for his teams, and went out and did it. Jerry wants to go with the latest trend and is usually late jumping on it.
  5. WoodysGirl

66,082 Messages
    5,603 Likes Received
    Merged my thread with another Dungy thread since it had a similar theme..
  6. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,619 Messages
    4,891 Likes Received
    I think he has been "staying the course" with Garrett. There is no reason why we should continue to try and re-invent ourselves there. But apparently we are with this Linehan situation.

Flip flopping on the 3-4 is another miss after we were married to it for nearly a decade.
    khiladi likes this.
  7. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,723 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    A lot of contradicting statements from Dungy. A lot of the things he doesn't like about Jerry are a key to being a successful GM.
    Wood likes this.
  8. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,733 Messages
    557 Likes Received
    Tony is a polite well spoken man.
  9. NJ22

NJ22 Well-Known Member

1,121 Messages
    894 Likes Received
    Lol. So picking a course is not the job of the GM?
    erod likes this.
  10. Ntegrase96

2,723 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    It may anger you even more to know that we have not really stayed the course with it either.

Parcells ran a very true 3-4
    Wade's defense is probably closer to a 5-2
    And Rob's defense was a 3-4 under type scheme

Those defenses looked similar in alignment, but the principles weren't really the same.
    Idgit likes this.
  11. WoodysGirl

66,082 Messages
    5,603 Likes Received
    I don't think what he said is all that contradictory. He's not opposed to the big names or big personalities. He did coach the Bucs after all.

Two of the bolded sentences are basically saying the same thing. Pick a course, stay on it, and don't get enamored with a big name guy who might not fit with what you're trying to accomplish.
  12. WoodysGirl

66,082 Messages
    5,603 Likes Received
    In Dallas, it's more the coach's responsibility...and that's been true for every coach Jerry has hired, except maybe Campo. Jerry hires the coach, and whatever philosophy the coach has, then he rolls with it.

Right or wrong, but that's the way it's been.
  13. Ntegrase96

2,723 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Yeah sorry I expressed that poorly. I think Tony's got it right and isn't contradicting himself.

But he's saying it's not a problem having Jerry as GM, yet Jerry violates a lot of the things he listed that make a successful GM.

Seems like Tony's just trying to be nice.
    WoodysGirl likes this.
  14. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,095 Messages
    2,876 Likes Received
    BP enjoyed working for Jerry. I think many fans use their own dislike of Jerry and cast that on coaches around the league claiming no one would want to work for him.
    Nav22 likes this.
  15. WoodysGirl

66,082 Messages
    5,603 Likes Received
    Maybe, and there's something to that. I think his opinion was based on the parameters of the Cowboys organizational structure and Jerry's role within it.
  16. NJ22

NJ22 Well-Known Member

1,121 Messages
    894 Likes Received
    Again because the GM stinks
  17. Section444

Section444 Well-Known Member

4,332 Messages
    841 Likes Received
    Shut up, Tony Dungy.
  18. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,710 Messages
    1,517 Likes Received
    I see the contradictions that I feel Dungy is alluding to.

You stayed with the 3-4 defense that Parcells spent several years and draft picks in implementing, and continued that path with Phillips and Ryan.

And you continued to place resources in it with huge dollars (Spencer, Ware, Carr) and draft picks (Claiborne, Carter, etc).

And then, after just a year of huge investment in man cornerbacks, you about-face into a cover-2 zone scheme? Many of us saw the contradiction and criticized it at the time.

And you make these changes while planning around a 30+ year old quarterback and a 'win now' cap strategy?

And on top of all of this, you maintain a situation which includes a coach you're trying to mold into being capable of leading your team to a championship? Essentially several years of on-the-job training?

That type of plan makes no sense and it's a huge reason why this team has been spinning it's wheels for the past several years.

There has been little to no clear, long-term plan, and from what I have seen, there does not appear to be one on the horizon.
    Zimmy Lives and bark like this.
  19. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,619 Messages
    4,891 Likes Received
    Sure, but I think we got to the point at least where our scouts, most of which have remained stable, were learning how to evaluate players who could function in it. Now we are in the boat where they have to be re-educated and this particular brand of the 4-3 which is about as role specific and prototype dependant as any out there.
  20. foofighters

foofighters Active Member

230 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    Good gosh...Get real Dungy. You have an owner who is also the GM. The owner/GM has no idea about what it takes to lead men on the football field. Sure he's a great businessman but as someone who leading men in professional sports? He has no idea. Jerry is the problem. Jerry the owner and Jerry the GM.