1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Tony Dungy says 'Boys are two drafts from having right personnel for Kiffin's system

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jan 11, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,638 Messages
    4,751 Likes Received
    "Monte is a great coach," Dungy said Friday. "My question is: Are they going to do what their personnel dictates or are they going to change and go to Monte’s system and kind of what he grown these last couple of decades? That’ll be the big thing they’re going to have to do. But they’re getting a great guy. The one thing that’s going to happen is the accountability. There’s going to be hustle and the energy and playing at a passionate level. They’re going to be very, very well prepared. There’s a lot of things that he’s going to bring to the table that’ll help them. My only question is: Are they going to use a couple of drafts and try to put together the personnel for what he did with us in Tampa? Or is he going to say, ‘You know what, here’s what I’ve got: I’ve got two dominate outside linebackers. I’ve got these corners. We’re going to build around them and do what they do best.’ That’ll be the key I guess. He’ll have them playing well, and they’ll play at a high level I’m sure."

"As Rod Marinelli said, there are things that probably are never going to change with Monte -- just how you play the game, and what he’s going to expect from those guys in terms of preparation and communication and being on the same page and playing to a high standard for each other," Dungy said. "...He's energetic No. 1 and a perfectionist and someone who will not settle for less than total dedication from his group. I think he gets the best out of everyone. But he has very, very high expectations."

Dungy, though, said the Cowboys lack the personnel the Bucs had in running a successful Tampa 2 defense.

"I just think their personnel is set up differently," Dungy said. "But again, I don’t know if they’re just saying, 'You know what, we just want to get the best coach available, and Monte, you make this thing work with the people we have' and maybe they are going to do that and do something a little bit differently that utilizes these guys."

2. FLCowboyFan

FLCowboyFan Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.

2,188 Messages
    121 Likes Received
    I would think he will take Dungy's call. Why not ask him?
  3. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    If Dungy doesn't think Sean Lee and Bruce Carter are ideal for the 4-3, he's been sniffing Dan Patrick's hair gell.
  4. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,244 Messages
    1,171 Likes Received
    Monte doesnt have two drafts, neither does Ginger.
  5. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,428 Messages
    578 Likes Received
    He didn't say anything about them. But last I checked there are 11 parts to a defense.

I share the same concern as Dungy. I don't doubt Monte as a coach, but I doubt the way our structure is built right now and if Jerry is planning on being patient and allowing him to build us a defense the right way. The fact he gave him a 1 year deal makes me wary, he can't seriously expect Kiffin to come in and change everything overnight.
  6. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Active Member

4,565 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    Keep telling yourself that ;) JG is here for the long haul. Anyone who is same knows we have two more years before we are a solid team. That was before Kiffin too.
  7. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,244 Messages
    1,171 Likes Received
    Yep I'll stick with what I said they dont have that much time. TV ratings, gear sales and fan apathy say time isnt on their side. Nothing gets Jerry attention like lost money.
  8. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,038 Messages
    452 Likes Received
    We have the right personnel... Ware and Spencer will be a terror off the edge and Ratliff up the middle will be awesome.
  9. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Active Member

4,565 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    Like I said man...keep telling yourself that!
  10. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    The fact that he didn't even mention Lee or Carter as blocks to build around show me he didn't put half a second of thought into his response, or is so far gone into the broadcast booth he doesn't even watch tape anymore.
  11. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,073 Messages
    1,762 Likes Received
    Bucs played with Grimes and a bunch of journeymen at SDE. Dungy played with the diminutive Mathis and Freeney neither of which went over 250. I think we have a better coverage LB core than the Bucs or Dungy's Colt's.

So yeah if we want to clone the 2002 Bucs then it will take some time but if Kiffin is this all world innovative DC then he will adapt to our players.
  12. hra8700

hra8700 Active Member

806 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    I think most broadcasters don't watch any tape. You can tell because they're really smart football people but say ridiculous stuff.

I completely agree. Doesn't seem like dingy know anything about the cowboys beyond what he's heard in the news...
  13. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

2,104 Messages
    509 Likes Received
    The headline is deceiving in that it unequivocably says that Dungy doesn't think our current personnel will suffice. Once you get well into the article, he goes on to say he thinks Kiffen will elect to build his defense around what the Cowboys already have. Sounds to me like Dungy is guessing just like the rest of us.
  14. Erik_H

Erik_H Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun. Zone Supporter

2,436 Messages
    70 Likes Received
    Right... TV ratings. Go check and see which game was the highest rated on NBC this year. Then go check which CBS game was rated the highest. After that, go check out FOX and ESPN.

You'll probably notice one common theme. They were all Cowboy games.
  15. Erik_H

Erik_H Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun. Zone Supporter

2,436 Messages
    70 Likes Received
    This.
  16. rags747

rags747 Well-Known Member

1,024 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    Two drafts...Yeeehaaa. Ware will be 32, Romo will be 35, Witt will be 33 or so. I'm really hating this right now. Where
    the Eff is our OL ?.
  17. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    That's why I like Collinsworth and Dilfer, and that's about it as far as ex-jocks go. Might not always agree with their opinions, but at least they take some pride in their jobs and base their opinions on some actual homework. So many ex-jocks just phone it in, and/or are more concerned about their suits and their teeth whitening.
  18. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    That's why I like Collinsworth and Dilfer, and that's about it as far as ex-jocks go. Might not always agree with their opinions, but at least they take some pride in their jobs, do some homework and don't just phone it in for the paycheck.
  19. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,244 Messages
    1,171 Likes Received
    Guess again.

Brandon George ‏@dmn_george
    Brief media notes: Cowboys viewership down about 10 percent from last season: The Cowboys finished the season av... http://bit.ly/Vw0wVm
    Expand
  20. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

19,361 Messages
    632 Likes Received
    They watch tape. They just don't know all the players like the average fan. Besides, Lee and Carter were injured much of the season.