1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Tony Pauline Senior Bowl practice report: Wednesday

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RS12, Jan 25, 2012.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,550 Messages
    1,415 Likes Received
    3:09 p.m. CT -- The final full pads practice at the Senior Bowl is complete. After a few days of game planning all that's left is to play the game on Saturday.

Scouts came away impressed with Melvin Ingram today. He's a natural pass rusher who gets a lot of upfield momentum and is stronger than he's given credit for. What position Ingram plays in the NFL is yet to be determined. Is he a defensive end? Outside linebacker? Three technique tackle? The combine will help get us closer to the answer but rest assured, Ingram can be a force at the next level.

Louisiana Lafayette cornerback Dwight Bentley had another strong day, as did Chris Rainey of Florida, who continues to prove himself as a playmaker. If he keeps his concentration on the field, he'll make an offensive coordinator in the league happy.

It's been great providing SI.com readers live updates from Senior Bowl practices, a rather intense undertaking never previously attempted on the internet from the event. Next up is the analysis of Saturday's game. Let's hope it's a good game.

2:57 p.m. CT -- For all the good play of Cordy Glenn the past three days, few scouts in attendance believe he's a left tackle prospect. He struggled with speed rushers during today's practice.

- Chris Rainey of Florida just made a tough reception in underneath coverage after beating the defense for a potential long gainer that Brandon Weeden underthrew.

- Weeden just made a magnificent pass to Joe Adams.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...l.practice.wednesday/index.html#ixzz1kWpsQtaM
  2. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,416 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    the Players you need to know about the most are

Melvin Ingram is eating opponents alive today. Out of a three-point stance he has Matt McCants of UAB spinning, then came back and lined up at defensive tackle to beat Will Blackwell of LSU.

- Cordy Glenn just manhandled Quinton Coples in one-on-one. Glenn was lined up at left tackle. Not to be outdone, Coples threw an inside move on Glenn the next time they faced off and beat him to the inside.

- Janoris Jenkins of North Alabama is the one to finally stop Juron Criner. Jenkins had terrific inside position, then dove in front of the pass to defend the throw

- DT Kheeston Randall of Texas has shown a lot of power the past two days. He just drove center Ben Jones of Georgia four yards deep into the backfield. Randall then came back and threw a terrific move on Philip Blake and again got into the backfield.

- On the other hand, Joe Adams of Arkansas is small but incredibly quick and fast. He runs terrific routes and shows the ability to carry his horizontal momentum into breaks.

- OL Cordy Glenn of Georgia has been the talk of the South by a lot of scouts. He's got the body type, strength and movement skills to quickly start in the NFL. He's being talked about as a late-round pick with his performance the past two days. He does not back down either, and just went after Quinton Coples in drills, battling hard after the whistle had blown.

-Vinny Curry of Marshall really stood out today and was impossible to stop at times. He's at a disadvantage as he's been used solely at defensive end and never allowed to stand up over tackle, but scouts leave the morning and the week highly impressed with his athleticism, quickness and general feel as a pass rusher.

- OL Senio Kelemete of Washington was pushed inside to guard today and was effective. He's a solid athlete and his ability to block with sound fundamentals (knee bend, hand placement) is impressive.

- Shea McClellin of Boise State looks better every day at the linebacker position. He's been planted in the middle today and has done a great job remaining patient with assignments, smoothly moving across the field and showing a good degree of awareness.

- T Mike Adams of Ohio State is really having a tough time this morning handling Vinny Curry. Curry has convincingly beat the big tackle off the snap every time. Curry was just moved inside to defensive tackle and annihilated Kevin Zeitler with a swim move. We got ahead of ourselves in our praise for Kevin Zeitler. He's been beaten the past three downs by three different defensive linemen.

- DE Cam Johnson of Virginia has displayed a lot of quickness and speed off the edge in one-on-one drills.

- C Mike Brewster of Ohio State is having a tough go of it this morning. He was just beaten badly by Mike Martin of Michigan, who had been quiet most of the day. Brewster has been struggling to hold the point and continues to get pushed back off the line

- Vinny Curry of Marshall is once again displaying a lot of quickness and athleticism. He really struggles handling blocks, and looks more and more like he'll be a natural as a 3-4 outside linebacker rather than at defensive end.

- G Kevin Zeitler of Wisconsin has upped his game this morning. He's been just about the only lineman who's been able to slow down Mike Martin of Michigan and stopped him cold on one snap.

- DT Derek Wolfe of Cincinnati looks good this morning. He does not get a lot of penetration, but he's quick and impossible to move off the line of scrimmage.
  3. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,690 Messages
    1,396 Likes Received
    Kheeston Randall would make an interesting mid-late round 3-4 DE. I thought he lacked polish or rare skills but loved his motor. He'd drive through guys and keep moving full speed right back into line. Reminded me a lot of how Kerrigan looked. Very unsexy type player but a constant churner who would probably wear on an OL. Could be a Kenyon Coleman replacement.

Rainey's problem will be how small the field in the NFL becomes with all that defensive speed on it. He should be watching Wes Welker tape every night for how to win immediately off the line with speed and quickness. Man, that dude is fast though.
  4. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    disapointed to hear that about Brewster. With Konz's medical issues, sounds like there is not a center worth even a 3rd rd pick now
  5. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,852 Messages
    2,052 Likes Received

I've always like Cordy Glenn from the few times i've seen him but my question is does he always play with this kind of effort?
  6. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Seldom Seen

2,147 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm changing my tune just a little. If we land Nicks in FA; I'd have a hard time not drafting Ingram or Curry in the 1st based on their Sr. Bowl performances. I love the fact that Ingram can start at SOLB opposite Ware, and then line he and Ware up on the same side in a four man front. If Ware is the DE and Ingram is the 3 Tech, you can assure Ingram is not doubled team. Ware may be chipped, but if he stays wide, the Center will not be able to help out if Ingram attacks the out side shoulder of the OG. Its very reminiscent of how the giants use Tuck inside. The only way to help out, a TE chips Ware and the RB doubles Ingram. This will now allow the backside to be open for the blitz as no TE or RB will be able to pickup the extra rusher.

With that formation you can now have, Ware-Ingram-Ratliff-Butler on the field at the same time. That's a very impressive four man rush unit. With Carters speed at nickel LB, a blitz up the middle will more than likely get home if they keep their spacing.

Curry, I think is going to prove to be a True OLB in the 3-4. If we take either of the two in the 1st; I would take Glenn if he dropped or the highest rated CB.

I would love to scoop up McClellin in the 3rd or 4th round.

For all this to work, we really need Arkin to step up this year. I love DeCastro, put passing up on a true pass rusher is hard to do. Esp. a versatile pass rusher as Ingram. Ingram's versatility is hard to find.
  7. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

61,063 Messages
    4,402 Likes Received
    Vinny Curry continues to impress. :D
  8. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,852 Messages
    2,052 Likes Received
    I've never even heard of this guy until this week. I can't wait to watch the SR Bowl.

He may be this years Aldon Smith.
  9. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Seldom Seen

2,147 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Is this your shout-out to the State of WV?:laugh2:
  10. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

61,063 Messages
    4,402 Likes Received
    Yep...have said for some time that I love Vinny Curry and Bruce Irvin. And next year I will be pimping Tavon Austin.:D
  11. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,361 Messages
    584 Likes Received
    - C Mike Brewster of Ohio State is having a tough go of it this morning. He was just beaten badly by Mike Martin of Michigan, who had been quiet most of the day. Brewster has been struggling to hold the point and continues to get pushed back off the line

sounds like our next center- he will fit in great with costa!
  12. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Seldom Seen

2,147 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    As you should...

I like Irvin. If he puts the work in, 3 years from now he very well may be the best pass rusher to come out of this class. I think his first year; a situational pass rusher is his role. By his 3rd year, he has all the tools to be a monster off the edge. The guy is just violent and relentless coming off the edge. I like him as a mid-round prospect.
  13. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,416 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    Ben Jones is worth it. I have been saying for a while Ben JOnes is the #2 C in the draft and far better than Brewster.
  14. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received

forgot about Jones. Interesting player