1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Tony Romo is going to be extended...

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by dragon_mikal, Dec 31, 2012.

1. dragon_mikal

dragon_mikal Darth Jones strikes again! Zone Supporter

5,032 Messages
    1,039 Likes Received
    We all need to come to grips with this. Whether you're a Romo supporter or a Romo hater Jerry Jones is going to extend him and he is going to be here at least three more years.

Arguing or lamenting about it is a waste of time and energy. The real issue is how this team can help this guy get to the next level.

I feel that with the emergence of Dez Bryant that the WR corp is going to be a strength next year. As long as Witten is around the TE position is set. RB needs to be addressed because I don't trust Murray to stay healthy.

The main issue though is the OL. The whole unit needs to be evaluated and changes need to be made. Free needs to be gone and the interior needs to be upgraded. Tyron might not be the answer at left tackle, either. I say move him to right tackle, look for a replacement and uprade the entire interior line through the draft if possible.

Defensively they need to rebuild the DL and upgrade at safety. I think the LBs are solid if healthy which of course is a big if. A replacement for Ware needs to be found. I know he isn't healthy but he just wasn't very good last night at all.

Most importantly is the need for an experienced signal caller on offense. Mike Shannahan schooled Jason Garrett yesterday with a rookie quarterback because of his ability to be creative, something Jason Garrett isn't capable of being. He doesn't stick with what works and is too stubborn to adjust his offense based on the strength's and weaknesses of the players at his disposal. Tony Romo needs to moved around more. More bootlegs, slants and screens were needed yesterday to counter the Redskins all out blitz strategy.

This team is entirely capable of winning with Tony Romo and will need to because he isn't going anywhere.:star:
  2. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,022 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    We need to get Romo more protection. Period.

And a mosre capable front 7, that can help get him the ball back

Thank God for Lee and Carter
  3. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,422 Messages
    1,326 Likes Received
    I agree they will extend Tony.

The Cowboys are stuck in limbo -- a very good QB who isn't quite good enough to take them to the promised land. Way too good to jettison.

This is what purgatory looks like.
  4. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,225 Messages
    841 Likes Received
    This is the best news I've heard today.

We are lucky to have him. Without him we would be talking about drafting Geno Smith, Landry Jones, etc. etc. with the #1 pick.
  5. MartinRamone

MartinRamone Well-Known Member

1,470 Messages
    112 Likes Received
    Yeah because being stuck in 8-8 is so much better. Romo wont play forever and we need to find a replacement.
  6. Lodeus

Lodeus Well-Known Member

3,011 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    Give us answer on how to replace him! All I hear is "Well look, this team did it with a 3rd round pick".

Who's your guy?
  7. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Fortunately, we can do that AND extend Romo.
  8. elcocinero

elcocinero Member

482 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Without Romo the Cowboys would have 6 wins tops. Imagine no pass game to go along with no run game.
  9. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

1,766 Messages
    1,189 Likes Received
    3 or 4 more years of 8-8. I can hardly wait.
  10. TDHND

TDHND Member

568 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree he needs a line to play behind.
  11. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,033 Messages
    453 Likes Received
    I want Dallas to draft Geno Smith... The kid can sling the football.
  12. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

1,766 Messages
    1,189 Likes Received
    8 wins isn't much better than 6. Maybe if they extend the playoff teams we can sneak in and actually lose a playoff game again.
  13. dragon_mikal

5,032 Messages
    1,039 Likes Received
    I agree that Jerry Jones needs to start looking to draft a replacement to groom in the next year or two. The franchise can ill afford another period like the one they suffered through after Troy left.

I just don't know if Jerry Jones is capable of doing this, though. Without Bill Parcells and Sean Payton this team might still be going through the Quincy Carter/Chad Hutchinson nightmare. Or worse, Jerry might have chosen Drew Henson over Romo and we would be Kansas City south.
  14. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    We need to figure out a way to go from 8 wins to at least 10. If we do that, most years you make the playoffs. It's a very high percentage (though the Bears fell through this year).
  15. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,225 Messages
    841 Likes Received
    6 wins? More like 2-3. I laugh at those who think this team would be different without him. He has been hiding are flaws for years. The defensive talent has been improving, but what will they play for if they know our QB can't get them back in the game? This team would be in shambles right now, as if they already aren't. We played for the NFC East last night because of him.
  16. MartinRamone

MartinRamone Well-Known Member

1,470 Messages
    112 Likes Received
    Im not against keeping Romo ONE more year because this QB class is terrible but thats it. We need to start rebuilding the QB soon enough and Romo will demand too much money and i dont think he will deserve it, i rather spend it somewhere else.
  17. dragon_mikal

5,032 Messages
    1,039 Likes Received
    No thanks...

And pretty much every quarterback worth mentioning can "sling" the football.
  18. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't think more protection will matter. Dude absolutely chokes when it matters most. Like I've said, you can't call it a misconception when there are 3 obvious examples you can point out immediately. All 3 picks last night were on ROMO. Our defense was actually making stops too.
  19. muck4doo

muck4doo Well-Known Member

1,950 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    I'm mad at Tony right now, but looking out there who do we replace him with? We will have to go with it and like it. I'm sure myself and others will get over it when Tony puts up his first 400 yard game next season.
  20. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,526 Messages
    470 Likes Received
    We need a LOT of help in the trenches on both sides of the ball regardless of who the QB is.

PLus we also have to think about 2 OLB's (if spencer leaves, and another to groom to replace Ware eventually).

This team has A LOT of holes.