1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Tony Romo on Dez Bryant coming full circle; why Laurent Robinson was successful with

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by RS12, Nov 13, 2012.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,676 Messages
    1,493 Likes Received
    Tony Romo rarely goes into detail about the Cowboys offense. During his weekly interviews at Valley Ranch he routinely states how he doesn’t want to give anything away to opposing defenses, which results in generic answers.

Tuesday was an off day for the Cowboys, so Romo had some extra time to call into 103.3 [KESN-FM] and talk about a variety of topics, and the Cowboys offense was part of the discussion.

It’s no secret that the Cowboys are hurting offensively without the 11 touchdown receptions Laurent Robinson provided last season in his 14 games with the club. Many wonder why he and Romo worked so well in their only season together.

According to Romo, it’s because Robinson was usually in the right place at the right time.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2...ort&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,676 Messages
    1,493 Likes Received
    So Dez and Tree, just how bad are those diesel fumes?:laugh2:
  3. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,099 Messages
    1,314 Likes Received
    This is precisely the problem with Dez (other than his mental deficiencies). He's a "feel" player. A street baller. He's not a precision guy. He would do best in a system that didn't require such precision, but simply required him to beat his man.
  4. Hoov

Hoov Senior Member

5,293 Messages
    584 Likes Received
    Maybe so, maybe he wants to get open every play.

It sounds like in this offense its more important to run a precise route even if you are running into coverage...because the system is designed that if you are covered someone else is guarnteed to be open and its a metter of Romo going through his reads quickly to find the open person.

He cant make his progressive reads as quickly if someone is late to the spot causing him to either hold the ball too long resulting in pressure or causing him to be late for the next read and then someone who was open is now covered because the defender had a moment to read and react.
  5. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,550 Messages
    730 Likes Received

OK St didn't do him any favors with their spread offense. It's working wonders for Justin Blackmon who is also struggling to run the pro route tree.

An example of him learning from his errors was in ATL game and this PHI game.

In the ATL game when he ran the vertical against Asante Samuels he didn't hold his route on the outside long enough and used his body to shield Asante from undercutting the route and making a play on it.

In the PHI against DRC he did that and was able to make the play but also draw a PI call.

Baby steps.
  6. Bluestang

5,550 Messages
    730 Likes Received
    Truth.
  7. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,818 Messages
    639 Likes Received
    And thats a mistake to draft that type of player for this type of system. You want precision then you draft that. Its the same as making Bill P play with TO.
  8. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,551 Messages
    154 Likes Received
    You can certainly argue that it was a big mistake to draft a player who doesn't fit our system. You can even argue this more vehemently with all the proof you want from RW11's performance here - sloppy route runners just don't do well.

This partly makes me excited to see what Beasley and Danny Coale can do here. Both of these guys have some physical limitations but both guys are quick, have adequate speed and good hands. It seems as though we prototypically prefer big WRs but maybe that is a mistake with all of the PIs and holding calls against CBs and the new rules against defenseless WRs. It would seem as though the league is now tailor-made for smurf type WRs again.

I still think Dez could end up working out fine and the bulb could go off for him sometime in the last half of the season. I am becoming more and more dead set against offering him some kind of large extension this season or even next season. I'd like to see two Pro Bowl seasons out of him before giving him such a package and he has just passed the halfway point of his rookie deal.

Otree teases with his quicks and speed but just seems to be wildly inconsistent which is exactly what we do not need in our #3 WR. I still really hope it clicks for the guy but I am happy that we have started to take a look at Beasley in this role now.
  9. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Tony says Dez is making the right reads and running the correct routes..

..and we still get a thread full of people creating fables about how they see Dez doing all this stuff wrong.

Because, you know.. they bought the All 22 package, so they watch the tape now, so they know.. they know.

:cool:
  10. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

32,006 Messages
    7,750 Likes Received
    That's not strictly what he said. He said Dez has improved night-and-day, and he said that he might run the same route right 20 times, and then if the 21st results in a pick, that's all anybody remembers. He compared his progress this year to where he was at as a rookie, saying if he started getting it 70% right, maybe last year was 85%, and that then this year he's getting close to being where he wants to be.

The routes we've discussed where Dez didn't make the proper adjustment are not fabled. Dez himself came out and said he rounded that particular route because he was off-balance. Whatever the cause, he rounded the route and it led to the pick.
  11. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    He said Dez is a guy who's doing it almost 100 percent of the time this year.. so all this talk about his awful route running is bogus. He's not a guy who's running bad routes all game long, as most fans on this board would have you believe.

The specific play you're talking about.. whether Dez slipped into his break or not.. was just a bad decision to throw it. The safety had a clear break on the play and if Dez had made the clean break, he would have gotten laid out completely anyway. The safety read the play all the way and got a big jump on the ball.
  12. Bluestang

5,550 Messages
    730 Likes Received

Tony said he's not a 100% yet but he's close and he's getting there.

You can believe what you want but when Bryant runs a sloppy route that results in an INT and the QB pulls him aside on the sideline to have words with him, along with the position coach, and the head coach it's a problem.

The bigger issue here is that Bryant ran this same exact route to perfection in the first game but in the second game totally brain farts the same play call.

Here's the playcall from game 1:

[IMG]

Here's the same playcall from game 2:

[IMG]

Game 1:

[IMG]

Game 2:

[IMG]

Dez is already late on his break and is past the sticks, where he should have made the break initially to cross the S.

Game 1:

[IMG]

Game 2:

[IMG]

Fables huh?
  13. TTexasTT

TTexasTT Well-Known Member

1,926 Messages
    737 Likes Received
    Very cool man. Thanks for taking time to post that.
    Sadly I think that we are going to have to learn to deal with these types of things from Bryant. However I honestly believe we will see them less frequently as time passes. I have absolutely no regrets with him being drafted, IMO I think that he wants to win badly and is driven to become great. His talent cant be denied and defenses have to prepare for him specifically. Whens its crunch time and we are in dire need of a big catch down field I want the ball going to him. More importantly he wants it coming to him too.
  14. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    So we agree.. Tony said Dez is doing it right almost 100 percent of the time this year.

My argument isn't that Dez occasionally runs a bad route.. every receiver in the NFL does.

My problem are those who continue to act like they know something the rest of us don't, and try to say that Dez constantly runs bad routes, is a bad route runner, is always messing up and causing Tony to make bad throws, etc, etc..

Its baloney..
  15. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Also, your fail to explain from your photos that if the ball had been delivered in a more timely mannar on the game 2 route, it would have been a wide open and easy catch and possible big YAC.
  16. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

6,139 Messages
    647 Likes Received
    Yup, it's like everyone forgot about the last paragraph where the QB says the WR is coming around on his route running and almost 100% now. They also missed the part where he is on pace for an 80 catch 1000+ yd season, an improvement every year.
  17. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

6,139 Messages
    647 Likes Received
    Nice diagram....except that you failed to mention the safety was playing a good three to four yards further back in NY than he was in Dallas when Bryant made the break...three yards in the NFL is the difference between a completion and a pick. Bryant ran a poor route, but that play had no chance of being completed no matter how he ran it.
  18. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    Dez is not where I would like him to be at this stage but I still think Dez will continue to develop into a top WR. He has the skills and I think he is developing the desire. In college you can get by with just raw talent in the pros you need to refine your skills
  19. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

3,105 Messages
    1,309 Likes Received
    Dez is most definitely improving as a player. If you can’t see it on the field (I can); then check his numbers year over year—they are headed in the right direction.
  20. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    I agree. I think to take that next step he has to show he can be that go to guy in critical situations and make the big play. That was the one thing with Drew Pearson and Michale Irvin at critical moments they would make the big play and when all is said and done most remember those clutch plays over the stats.