1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Tony Romo on Dez Bryant coming full circle; why Laurent Robinson was successful with

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by RS12, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

3,102 Messages
    1,299 Likes Received
    Yep, and a bunch of TDs wouldn't hurt either.
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,417 Messages
    3,745 Likes Received
    True but then you look at irvin how often did he make the catch down by the goal line and Emmitt got the TD. I would just like to see Dez become that guy Romo looks to in the clutch and makes the play.
  3. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,858 Messages
    7,580 Likes Received
    Whatever your take on the actual route, this is just great football stuff. Even you guys who don't agree with him, should recognize that, because it's what these threads should be about.

The two 'scouts' I've heard on the topic--one being couchscout and the other Randy Galloway's stupid anonymous scout--said that Dez blows a route or an adjustment 2-3 times/game. It's never been about botching every route. It's always been about the bad plays unraveling a lot of good plays. This is why posters tend to love Dez, but also be very frustrated with him. At the end of the day, though, if he runs 20 bad routes and the 21st is the play that gets you consistently beat, what does it matter?

He runs that route properly, and it's a catch. Absolutely. It would have been contested, but it's a ball we've completed many times.
  4. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Not sure if this was said or not, but Robinson pretty much knew the offense through Norv and that explains why he was in the right spot at the right time.

Plus, Robinson seems pretty bright, Dez, not so much.
  5. Idgit

31,858 Messages
    7,580 Likes Received
    Tony was very complimentary of Robinson, but--and this is just my opinion--he was also protecting his current WR group. He was very complimentary of Dez, and also said that the other young guys coming up were doing a great job of being where they're supposed to be when they're supposed to be there.

I will say, we've done a great job of not turning the ball over in the passing game the last two weeks. All of this back and forth is moot if we can keep it up. And it looks to me like the plan is to keep giving snaps to Harris and Beasley going forward as long as they can make the plays. I'm pretty psyched to see what happens.
  6. Boys122

1,382 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    You'd think Dez would have figured it out by now, ya know? I'm still pulling for him.

At this point of the season the chemistry between Tony and Dez for example shouldn't be an issue. The other wr's seem to be on track.
  7. Idgit

31,858 Messages
    7,580 Likes Received
    What I liked to hear in the interview (it's a great interview, btw, for anyone who hasn't heard it yet) was Tony's opinion that on the plays were Dez isn't targeted, he's usually doing the right things, too. Clearly, in previous tape sessions, it was apparent that that wasn't always the case.

So I think the guy's progressing. He's on pace for 80 balls and more than 1000 yards, so it obviously isn't all bad. I think if we were in a situation where we had another WR who was always reliable, we'd hardly be talking about Dez's mistakes, honestly. It's just that they get magnified when there aren't three legitimate WR options on a route. I bet, for example, if, say, Beasley's able to contribute consistently, we'll see a lot more big plays from Dez and Tony able to take fewer gambles in his direction in situations where he's not 100% sure Dez will be where he's supposed to be.
  8. Boys122

1,382 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    I hope you're right, I just keep waiting for Dez to have a breakout game with 7 to 10 catches for 140 yards and a couple touchdowns. :D

I also understand our offense is designed to not always count on the same receiver to have big games. That could be it as well with the chemistry part.
  9. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,130 Messages
    6,913 Likes Received
    Just something to think about because it does somehow gets overlooked due to his mistakes.

But numbers-wise, he's had some pretty good games all year. You want him to have a breakout game, of 7-10 catches, 140 yards. In the B-more game, he had 13 catches, 95 yards and 2 TDs.

2nd Giants game, he had 5 catches, 110 yards. 0 TDs, but he had 2 fumbles and the missed route, I believe.

In Philly, he had 3 catches for 87 yards and a TD.

So he's not having a *bad* year per se, but it's just inconsistent from game to game.
  10. Boys122

1,382 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Right, I guess I'm just being greedy. ;)
  11. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,548 Messages
    729 Likes Received

This is exactly what Tony was talking about in the interview when he directly compared him to Robinson.
  12. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,548 Messages
    729 Likes Received

The window would have been tighter, but Dez's late break gave the Safety just enough time to break on the ball.

In the two photos were Tony's arm is cocked back watch were Dez is in relation to position on the field.

The first photo he's already breaking towards the middle to get in that window (the void)

In the second photo he's already past the sticks a couple of yards where he should have made his break towards the middle.

Look at the next set of photos...

Dez catches the ball 15 yds from the LOS, in the second one Dez is 20 yds from the LOS.
  13. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    So essentially our WRs are all covered and Romo is getting killed, because he doesn't have time to go through his reads...
  14. 187beatdown

187beatdown Lack of Big Plays

4,053 Messages
    658 Likes Received
    As much as that's true in theory you simply don't pass on a talent like Dez when he's sitting in your laps. Regardless of how it plays out the smart choice at the time is to pick up Dez because he has monstrous tools. I think it's very very difficult to predict how well a player is going to adapt to the NFL playbooks and quite frankly that's just how things go sometimes.