1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Tony was very good today. Defense not too hot.

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Awakened, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Awakened

Awakened the Dude abides

800 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    I'm not a big Tony Romo fan. The nicest thing I've said about him is that he reminds me a lot of Brett Favre, and I was never a big Brett Favre fan. Both of them too undisciplined, too inconsistent, too capable of the huge turnover.

Having said that, I thought Tony played well today. Yes, he had one huge turnover, but it wasn't one of those boneheaded turnovers. He was running for his life all day. In that case, the guy behind him caught his arm and he coughed it up. Tony carried the team today. Without much help from the OL, without Murray, Tony got it done.

I was disappointed in the defense. They did OK, especially at the end of the game, but they didn't dominate a team they should have dominated. I know we miss Lee and Church, but this was a team we should have handled on defense. As others have said, I'm not sure why Ryan was so conservative. Not his best game at all.
  2. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,477 Messages
    2,368 Likes Received
    That's 3 1/2 games and counting of solid ball by Romo now.
    The law of averages is taking effect and he's getting a back to wear he may end the season with a strong passer rating a decent td/int ratio--even after that horrid start ot the year.
  3. jzcowboy

jzcowboy Active Member

957 Messages
    95 Likes Received
    Careful, I started I Tony Romo played great thread about 2 hours ago and it was deleted with no notice and no explanation. Probably too late for you now...

Tony played out of his mind today (again) and carried the team. Can't imagine my Cowboys without him.
  4. Wezsh0T

Wezsh0T Well-Known Member

1,298 Messages
    148 Likes Received
    He played well, but I'm not sure what is going on with him in the first half. He is sailing balls in the first half of games before he settles down in the second half. Favre used to do this all the time too.
  5. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

10,111 Messages
    1,664 Likes Received
    He managed the game well today. He was a little high on a few passes early, but he settled down in the second half.

The fumble was not good. We were in FG range. Still, that is who Romo is. It is his instinct to try to keep the play alive. Garrett needs to recognize that and not put him in a position to fail, which is exactly what he did on the fumble play. It was first and twenty in FG range, yet we are looking for the long ball. Call a roll out pass to Witten for 9 yards and go from there on 2nd and 11. Nope, its a long developing play that the OLine simply cannot block for and it leads to--surprise-- a turnover. Terrible game management there from the head coach/ offensive coordinator.
  6. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,139 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    The fumble almost killed the team for good... He's got to just take the sack.
  7. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,403 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    His numbers will never tell the story this season. He's facing impossible odds almost every time he goes back to pass. And the opposing defenses have no need to fear the run at all.

Tony's taking a bullet for the team this season. What's sad is that some fans and mediots can't appreciate that reality.
  8. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,132 Messages
    6,915 Likes Received
    It wasn't deleted. It was merged with the Post-game thread.

Check your post history, you'll see that it's there.
  9. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,334 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    The defense will never be a shutdown defense. They are supposed to thrive on the offense's success...which means they need the offense to at least move the ball and put up some points.

If we played outdoors, in rough weather, it would be OK to rely on the defense and hope that the offense can just manage the game. Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that for indoor teams. The offense HAS to be great
  10. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,477 Messages
    2,368 Likes Received
    I think he's been doing really well lately at taking the sack with the other options are too dangerous...at least in the last few games. That fumble would have occurred with 32 of 32 starting QBs, imo. It's not like he was trying to do anything special and was even tucking it close to his body. Great play by the defender.
  11. ddh33

ddh33 Active Member

4,934 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    You tell me that my QB is going to be sacked 7 times, throw the ball 50 times, and only have one turnover, I will take that number of turnovers every time. It could have/should have been so much worse. Romo is a magician back there.
  12. jayhouston12

jayhouston12 New Member

543 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    the defense played well today not great but plug in last years defense were looking at a 30-20 loss today

they kept us in it so i can't complain
  13. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,386 Messages
    308 Likes Received
    He was poor in the first half but very good in the second.

I'll put it this way. The second half was about the best that Tony Romo and the horizontal offense can be.
  14. TwentyOne

TwentyOne Well-Known Member

2,490 Messages
    110 Likes Received
    That was a big mistake by him and was all his fault. When you watch the tape he knew he got pressure from behind. There is no excuse to not tuck the ball away. That fumble almost killed us.

All in all he played an ok game. Not a good one.
  15. Hoov

Hoov Senior Member

5,275 Messages
    576 Likes Received
    this was a time when i would have hoped for 3 runs and a fg given how the defense was shutting down the browns and time was winding down.

also did not like the onsides kick try or whatever that was.
  16. fanfromvirginia

fanfromvirginia Inconceivable!

4,014 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    The D was sub par but not awful in the first half and very good in the second half and OT, giving up only seven points in seven drives (the lone TD being scored when the Browns took over on our 17), forced and recovered a fumble, and had a great goal line stand. They also had some great drive ending hits.
  17. hutch1254

hutch1254 Well-Known Member

1,449 Messages
    194 Likes Received
    Cleveland has been in every game this year. They're not garbage anymore. They have some decent pieces and are starting to become competitive.

While the D may not have been top notch what they did do was hold the Browns to 1 for 10 on third down efficiency after letting them go 4 for 5 to start. I thought that was a good comeback.

What bothered me is the 3 man rush...here we got a rookie QB and we're trying to confuse him by dropping 8 instead of getting in his face and rattling him. We pulled that same crap in Seattle and it cost us. It wasn't til later today that we started getting pressure in Weedens face. That and some solid tackling led to that 1 for 10 third down efficiency the rest of the way.
  18. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,403 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    This. Lots of QBs have really clean pockets. Romo's pocket is polluted with bodies within 3 ticks almost every down.

The guy is a miracle and nothing less.
  19. CowboyGil

CowboyGil Well-Known Member

1,194 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    It's called a squib kick to avoid a big return. SOP in the NFL.
  20. Hoov

Hoov Senior Member

5,275 Messages
    576 Likes Received
    did not like that call at that point in the game - and dont they usually squib it a lot deeper than that