1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Tony was very good today. Defense not too hot.

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Awakened, Nov 18, 2012.

1. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,041 Messages
    228 Likes Received
    That was no flag the Browns were trying to pull out, it was his spleen. Romo was hit on almost every single snap.
  2. NickZepp

NickZepp Well-Known Member

2,476 Messages
    81 Likes Received
    We played hot and cold overall. Romo played bad the first half and gave up a stupid fumble that nearly cost the game. Defense played good most of the 2nd half but weren't ready on a pass play that nearly cost the game. We got damn lucky to win playing as stupid as we did late in the 4th quarter.
  3. trueblue1687

trueblue1687 Well-Known Member

1,671 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    I agree it was a solid game, but I doubt it was anywhere close to "out of his mind". I'm rarely too critical of Romo (even when I really could/should be), but he had several bonehead plays that stood out to me. I'm gonna hedge and say I'm not sure it's ALL on him for this first point, but generally speaking he takes way too long getting plays off, often resulting in a delay penalty. This may be partly due to teh sidelines, but Romo monkey humps around too much for my tastes. Secondly, he STILL is a mediocre game manager: I'm speaking strictly toward his holding the ball too long, taking sacks, getting stripped of the ball, forcing throws (which has lessened of late, but still...). I think these things mount up to costing yards/games and they do so on a consistent basis. No, I'm not calling for him to be cut, benched or otherwise...just calling it like I see it...way short of "playing out of his mind".
  4. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,292 Messages
    258 Likes Received
    I don't mean it badly, exactly. He was good within the design of the seemingly risk-free offense that we are playing right now. I'm just not sure it's a formula for success in the long run.
  5. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,176 Messages
    2,763 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  6. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

6,679 Messages
    1,044 Likes Received
    Excellent honest post. I was at the game and it was painful. Balls underthrown, balls overthrown, turnover AGAIN in the redzone at the 20 which easily could have lost the game for us. That would have been a very easy field goal and we go up by 7, instead we are forced to come back with 1:07 and down 3.

This team was bad all around yesterday.. oline was the worst, dline was bad, and Romo was below average.
  7. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

74,861 Messages
    1,509 Likes Received
    I think Romo is being more careful with the ball at times he held on to it a bit too long and it caused a sack. As for Ryan I mentioned in another thread we can't continue to only rush 3 men as often as we do. You give any QB and WR time they will find the opening.
  8. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

6,679 Messages
    1,044 Likes Received
    Taking sacks are ok from time to time throughout a game. Getting sacked and not protecting the ball when you are in the redzone with 4 minutes or less on the clock and in position for a chip shot field goal to put you up by a TD.. that is just not acceptable. We dodged a bullet there.
  9. Doomsday101

74,861 Messages
    1,509 Likes Received
    Turnovers are never acceptable but they happen and they happen to other QB as well. He was trying to get the ball tucked and just was unable to do it.
  10. Skinsradiosucks

Skinsradiosucks New Member

219 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This is why I argue with Dallas fans more than any other team! You guys criticize Romo for the fumble that every NFL QB gives up at times during the season (yes even the GREAT RG3! *sarcasm*). You say he holds the ball too long...do you ever stop and think NOBODY IS OPEN? SMH. It amazes me that when Dallas is down with a minute left, I look at my wife and say, "Romo will get us in position to score." And through hook or crook the man gets us a chance to win the ball game!
    For those who want to knit pick everything, be boo birds or whatever, go find Quincy Carter. Go get you a Mike Vick and see how happy you are! Oh wait, Andrew Luck is the big bright star! We need an Andrew Luck (59-24 loss), you guys would be out of your minds on here!
    You guys praise RG3 who has DONE NOTHING in the NFL except beat on some soft defenses and lose to teams like the PANTHERS. You would crucify Romo for such an outrage!
    Look at every team as close as you look at Dallas and you will find the ugly cracks in the foundation as you do here in Big D. No team is perfect, we are far from it, but we are much FURTHER from it without ROMO!
  11. Doomsday101

74,861 Messages
    1,509 Likes Received
    I would agree that Romo catches more hell than he deserves. He is a damn fine QB but like Meredith and Danny White some will not give him his just dues. When or if he wins a SB you will be hard pressed to find someone who claimed him as an inferior QB.

For some no matter how many times you say it they just can't figure out Super Bowl are team accomplishment not individual accomplishments always has been always will be.
  12. Awakened

Awakened the Dude abides

772 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    As I said in the OP, I think Romo is a lot like Brett Favre. We Cowboys fans are spoiled. We expect our QB's to play like Staubach or Aikman. IMO, Romo will never consistently play like #12 or #8. It's hard to make it to the SB and win the SB without a great QB, so I'll never be thrilled with Romo at the helm.

The one way it's possible is with a tremendous defense. I've been excited this year because our defense has potential to reach elite level, but we're not there yet.
  13. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,041 Messages
    228 Likes Received
    Aikman would have been destroyed behind this OL. Everyone remembers Aikman's first 2 seasons when he had no running game. Now imagine no running game PLUS a porous OL. It would have been murder 1.

Staubach would have loved this new passing league, but even with his escapability and athleticism, he would have been hard pressed to win with this abortion of an oline.

As for the Romo bashing, I will borrow a Staubach quote from an idgit:

"It's really a mystery to me why people don't understand how really good Romo is. The things he can do and the plays he can make, I'm sure Troy would say the same. I think this team is building to support a great quarterback like Romo. If your defense is doing a great job, you can do a lot of things on offense."
  14. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,735 Messages
    5,267 Likes Received
    When a QB has no run game, is sacked 7 times and generally harassed the entire game, throws 50 passes and doesn't turn the ball over, it is unquestionably good.
  15. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,678 Messages
    1,541 Likes Received
    Relentless bashing of Romo...never fails.
    Pathetic
  16. trueblue1687

1,671 Messages
    29 Likes Received

You mistakenly equate criticism for an absolute call for the guy's head..Criticism is healthy. If I wanted to be contrary to your post, I'd say Tony don't get us in scoring position every time...sometimes he throws 4 or 5 picks a game...other times he makes an astounding play and does 'win' the game (as much as 1/22nd of a team can). My point is that I wasn't convinced he played any better than average versus the Browns...in fact, he probably played a bit below average for a long stretch. I didnt compare him to anyone, and I really haven't seen many people who do. ROmo is a good QB...he's good. Not great. What seperates him from the greats isn't necessarily Super Bowl wins (to me at least). It's the little things...taking a sack and giving up 15 yeards when he could have thrown the ball away, making errant throws that are beyond the pale of aggressive play, not taking care of the football, not managing the 2 3ft x 3ft game clocks staring him in the face everytime he looks downfield....those things make the difference between good and great. So, it makes no difference what other QBs are doing in the league, it's what the QB with the star on his helmet is doing....or not doing, that counts.
  17. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,678 Messages
    1,541 Likes Received
    It's like some of these bozos have never watched any other teams play except vs Dallas.
    Once an agenda is set, they lock in on very single detail to highlight it.

I do agree that constrcutive criticism is fine though. It's the other stuff that gets old.
    Some forget just how difficult it is play QB when under severe pressure all game. It has to be one of the toughest things to do in sports.
  18. trueblue1687

1,671 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Right behind owning a team that everyone else could run better:)
  19. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

9,237 Messages
    453 Likes Received
    Got a good camera view of Romo after that late fumble and I could read his lips... He said, and I quote, "I should have thrown it away."
  20. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,485 Messages
    876 Likes Received
    But didn't Kolb lose?