1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

TonyPauline: Hearing right now Poe/DT/Memphis is the favorite in the Cowboys war room

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

3,423 Messages
    864 Likes Received
    So in other words... "Championship!" ?

I kid I kid.:lmao:
  2. iowast8rs

iowast8rs Well-Known Member

927 Messages
    307 Likes Received
    Not a fan.
  3. dadymat

dadymat I'm kind of a Big Deal

6,022 Messages
    1 Likes Received

THIS..... this team isnt in a position to be drafting Rats back up for the next 2 seasons....even if he pans out it will be a few seasons, he is very raw and not a day 1 starter.....we need players now...not a maybe later
  4. kevinhickey

kevinhickey Member

325 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Please no. His combine stats don't add up to his game film. Bust!
  5. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    already posted in the draft zone
  6. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

3,487 Messages
    813 Likes Received
    Lets draft a guy at 14 who has arguably the biggest bust potential in the draft and "groom him", not even start him....

This is such a bad idea it is probably actually going to happen.
  7. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,690 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    i will personally fly down to texas to stand outside and protest.
  8. dwight

dwight Well-Known Member

1,150 Messages
    272 Likes Received
    I'm not impress with him too. I hope another team selects him before Dallas.
  9. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,690 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    my blood is boiling just thinking about this
  10. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    It's about time we got a defensive lineman who can't rush the passer.
  11. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,863 Messages
    1,706 Likes Received
    I hear our scouts were high on him as well. yeah they are so much smarter then our fans
  12. kevinhickey

kevinhickey Member

325 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    I live in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, Canada and I predicted that the Cowboys were going to sign Brandon Carr. I will be pissed if this happens. This is an Al Davis type of player. Great combine numbers and poor game film.
  13. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,525 Messages
    601 Likes Received
    I posted something similar in the other Poe thread, but I wanted to post it here so others can have the chance to ignore it.

His coaching at Memphis was flat out terrible. TERRIBLE. They were all just ousted in January after going 3-21 in only two seasons. Two of those three wins were against non FBS opponents and many of the losses were blow-outs. Just one of the worst FBS teams I have ever watched.

Poe has been playing under a group of coaches that did not get the best out of any player on that roster, including him. He certainly took some plays off, but so did a lot of players on that embarrassment of a team.

I do not know if Poe would be a good pick for Dallas. He needs a coaching staff that will push hard on him and reverse the mentality that he took on while at Memphis. He also needs leaders on the field that will get in his face if he is taking plays off. I think Dallas has the first ingredient, but I do not think the second one is there.

If the right team gets this kid and they show him how to do things, he could end up being a force. If the wrong one drafts him and just expects him to come to work each day, then he will indeed end up being a bust. I tend to worry Dallas is in the later category.

One amazing thing about the dude is his balance. I have not seen him on the ground often and that is after double, sometimes triple teams. He has the skills to be a force on the field.
  14. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

1,601 Messages
    47 Likes Received
    I hope we don't pick. Not a big fan of him. Hopefully, Sdogo or Hostile will have some imput on this.
  15. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

3,423 Messages
    864 Likes Received
    I posted a thread that got merged into this one. I was targeting them hoping they'd share some inside news. :bang2:
  16. NeonDeion21

NeonDeion21 Well-Known Member

2,127 Messages
    488 Likes Received
    I'm going to go out on a limb and extras my unpopular opinion on this. I like him a lot more than Upshaw, Brockers and Dre. I think those are all average players in the NFL and even though my draft philopsophy is to hit in the first round and swing big in the middle rounds, those 3 players aren't necessarily hits either as they all have major flaws.

Rob Ryan loves big NT's. He had Ted Washington and Shaun Rodgers. Rodgers was an superme athlete and he played well for Ryan. Poe has an unlimited ceiling and it hasn't hurt that a few guys such as Mayock have come away impressed.

And as for the plays off? He certanitly does take plays off. A lot of players do in college and in the pros. I'm not making an excuse for him, but a year in an NFL weight room should help his conditioning and I think that will result in a lesser percentage of "bad" plays.
  17. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,051 Messages
    2,285 Likes Received
    Im actually cool with the pick because of the huge upside.

I would think if you get him in a professional program like the Cowboys have that they could get him up to speed in a year or 2.

He does look very average on the youtube vids i've seen of him though. Not a guy that looks like an anchor at all.
  18. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,986 Messages
    1,051 Likes Received
    More like a crabapple....:rolleyes:
  19. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

3,105 Messages
    1,309 Likes Received
    We need #14 to contribute immediately, not 2 years from now.
  20. CowboysLaw87

CowboysLaw87 Active Member

599 Messages
    216 Likes Received
    This pick would scare the heck outta me. No doubt he COULD be great, and really make a difference on our front. Even 90% of Haloti Ngata would be phenomenal, and well worth that pick. But I'm very confident that Barron or Cox or Dre will be really good players. Maybe none have the ceiling that Poe has (or doesn't have for that matter), but if what we need is an immediate upgrade on defense, then those guys are safer and more field ready for September.

Here's an interesting question... Poe or Brockers? Both massive, inexperienced, need lots of coaching, DL, highest upside at their positions in the draft. If you had to pick one at 14, who would you prefer?