1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

TonyPauline: Hearing right now Poe/DT/Memphis is the favorite in the Cowboys war room

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Apr 2, 2012.

1. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

5,372 Messages
    350 Likes Received
    I am just going to say that this defense will be transformed if we hit on him and he turns out to be a force in the middle,its just a huge risk though.
  2. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,001 Messages
    1,878 Likes Received
    The big difference is that Sapp produced in college... Poe?

Not so much.
  3. NeonDeion21

NeonDeion21 Well-Known Member

1,958 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    That's bad drafting philosophy. You take the player you think will be the best for the duration of the career, not in year 1. Draft BPA, not a player that fills a need.

The Packers took Aaron Rodgers at #25, didn't help at all immediately. But eventually was the BPA and they sacrificed 3 years to let him develop.
  4. MichaelWinicki

31,001 Messages
    1,878 Likes Received
    And how.
  5. Cowboy Junkie

Cowboy Junkie leonargized

2,512 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    one day I want this guy badly the next I do not want to touch him.

I do think one of the biggest weaknesses on Dallas is lack of size at DT.
  6. MichaelWinicki

31,001 Messages
    1,878 Likes Received
    That's fine for a guy outside of the first round.

But a first rounder-- Especially that high up in the draft needs to be able to come in and play a bunch of quality snaps pretty quickly.
  7. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,155 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    Maybe there is something to the hiring of Lett.

Both are big guys who came into the league full of potential. Let Leon personally mentor this guy.

For all the folks that say Ryan has had success with big guys. He had Rodgers in Cleveland, but when Rodgers was cut last year....did we call him? I wonder why.

I'm not a fan of Poe. If you don't look good on tape, you won't play good on Sunday.

Cox, Barron or Konz will be the pick.
  8. CowboysLaw87

CowboysLaw87 Active Member

592 Messages
    212 Likes Received
    Not a fan of this pick but make no mistake about it... he would absolutely come in and play right away. We wouldn't take him if we thought otherwise. How "quality" the snaps would be is a different question.
  9. NeonDeion21

1,958 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    Why? We don't grade drafts off their rookie year. We base them on how they are 5 years from now. Get the best players regardless if they will help you now or later.
  10. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 RAWR

11,944 Messages
    221 Likes Received
    I would rather "Reach" for Cordy Glenn @ 14 then gamble on No Production Poe...
  11. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,863 Messages
    577 Likes Received
    Haven't you heard, we are stacked at every position and we can afford to draft special teams and guys who can learn for a bit

Signed
    Cowboys 2009 Draft
  12. CowboysLaw87

CowboysLaw87 Active Member

592 Messages
    212 Likes Received
    It's obviously best that the guy helps now and in the future. Maybe it's not the end all be all, but it's definitely relevant if the guy doesn't project to help now. This isn't the NBA... NFL teams don't generally trip all over themselves for "potential."
  13. NeonDeion21

1,958 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    I am glad you bolded "reach" because he might seem to a reach to most fans. But not me. This guy is a natural guard who dominated Ingram, Coples, Upshaw at the Senior Bowl at LT! He is a dominant player and who will take his lumps early, but you will be amazed with the end result.
  14. mensaone

mensaone Benched

50 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :laugh2: :lmao: :lmao2: :laugh1:
  15. MichaelWinicki

31,001 Messages
    1,878 Likes Received
    I understand that.

But this team isn't loaded with talent, let's not forget that it's 14-18 over the past two seasons and there are holes all over the roster... And to draft someone at #14 who can't contribute immediately would be a massive crime.
  16. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,793 Messages
    875 Likes Received
    Calm down folks. He is probably the apple of the eye of one of the 13 teams in front of us too. This could be a smoke screen because they may really want Coples. The fact the his college position coach talked crap about him is a not a good sign IMO. If they really do like him, they probably envision using as a mismatch as opposed to NT.
  17. NeonDeion21

1,958 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    I agree with you to a point. But I don't see where it is cut and dry that Poe couldn't contribute right away. And if he can't in year one, it still wouldn't make me shy away from him. But playing right away certainly helps.
  18. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

74,861 Messages
    1,505 Likes Received
    I think if the Cowboys did take him he would be starting. As I have said Poe would not be my pick but I don't think it is a bad pick.
  19. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    I like the idea of hooking up with Lindsey Lohan, but I wouldn't marry the *****! She has too many issues to invest that much in.
  20. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Pauline was all over the place last year with Cowboys predictions. He just threw everything against the wall until something stuck. I distinctly remember him saying we were going after Cam Jordan last year. He may have a "source" with the Cowboys, but it's probably a low level regional scout, not a real decision maker.