1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Top 10 rookies

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by MarionBarberThe4th, Dec 19, 2011.

1. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Well-Known Member

11,924 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    1. Von Miller - I liked his sugar bowl performance and even mocked him to us but i thought he had bust potential. Something about him screamed low-motor. Moving on

2/3. Julio jones/ AJ Green - playmakers
    4. Tyron smith
    5. Jake locker - total baller. He's only going to get better. Love this kid
    6. Aldon smith - would love if we could hit on a guy like this
    7. Patrick Peterson - Corner skills should get better
    8/9. Andy Dalton/cam newton - still want to see more but Carolina and cincy are thrilled
    10. Demarco Murray

Bust: Prince Amukumara - Constantly looks a step slower than everyone on the field. Maybe it's the injury but so far ouch
  2. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,418 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    Its way to early to say Prince Amukumara is a bust. He just came back a few weeks ago from injury. That would be like calling Bruce Carter a bust.
  3. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,033 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    1. Cam Newton, Panthers QB
    2. Von Miller, Broncos OLB
    3. A.J. Green, Bengals WR
    4. Aldon Smith, 49ers, LB
    5. Julio Jones, Falcons WR
    6. Andy Dalton, Bengals QB
    7. Marcell Dareus, Bills DT
    8. Patrick Peterson, Cardinals CB
    9. DeMarco Murray, Cowboys RB
    10. Ryan Kerrigan, Redskins OLB
  4. MarionBarberThe4th

11,924 Messages
    98 Likes Received
  5. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,033 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    I would put him probably 11th or 12th, which is still pretty doggone good.
  6. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,656 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    Pretty good list, I would have to put Tyron right between Dalton and Dareus on your list though.
  7. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Do you really think Dareus has been better than Tyron ? I'll admit , I have not watched many Bill's games , but the games I watched , he was a nonfactor .
  8. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

6,883 Messages
    574 Likes Received
    Tyron should make any top ten IMO.
  9. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,820 Messages
    224 Likes Received
    1. Cam Newton, Panthers QB
    2. Von Miller, Broncos OLB
    3. Andy Dalton, Bengals QB
    4. Aldon Smith, 49ers, LB
    5. A.J. Green, Bengals WR
    6. Julio Jones, Falcons WR
    7. Tyron Smith, Cowboys OT
    8. Ryan Kerrigan, Redskins OLB
    9. Patrick Peterson, Cardinals CB
    10. DeMarco Murray, Cowboys RB
  10. TheDallasDon

TheDallasDon AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee

2,514 Messages
    141 Likes Received
    Switch Von and Cam and this is my list
  11. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,635 Messages
    1,393 Likes Received
    When did Von Miller play in the Sugar Bowl? I don't think I have ever seen anyone question Miller's motor. I did see his ability to stay healthy questioned and could he hold the point in the rushing game.

Murrary isn't even the top rookie on his own team. Tyron is a player. I might even say Bailey has been more valuable. And those aren't insults to Murrary. Edit: Oops, missed Smith at #4. Sorry.

It is a nice list you got there. I don't agree how you have Locker over the other two QBs. Newton and Dalton have had to be in control of their team the whole season while Locker has had the benefit of sitting and watching. He hasn't played enough to warrant being rated higher in my opinion.
  12. supercowboy8

5,418 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    I put Tyron SMith over Aldon SMith.
    Tyron plays many many more snaps and starts. Aldon Smith doesn't even start and just rushes the passer. Aldon plays alot less snaps in the game. Tyron's value has been much higher that Aldon's have.
  13. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,127 Messages
    1,096 Likes Received
    I don't think any rookie is playing better than Cam. I know some people dislike the dude, but he has far surpassed people's expectations of him coming out, and he's a QB.
  14. supercowboy8

5,418 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    Nweton has been playing very good, but great is not what he has been playing. Dalton has been playing just as well if not better at times.
    Newton hads the added value of being able to run the ball, but I think he just drops it down and takes off way to early.

He has surpassed expectations but so did Vince Young at one time.
  15. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,635 Messages
    1,393 Likes Received
    As a passer, Newton's rookie year is far better than Young's rookie year. Much higher completion percentage, higher TD%, lower INT%, higher YPA and a higher passer rating. Even as a runner, Newton has produced more than Young did their respective rookie seasons.
  16. supercowboy8

5,418 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    I wasn't comparing the two, Newton is a far better player and person.
    I was just making sure people remember that one rookie year with good stats that just better than expectations is not a factor of how good a player he is going to be. Newton has been good but far from great.
  17. MarionBarberThe4th

11,924 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    Cotton bowl.

I liked the player but I saw him jogging a lot on the field and I had a funny feeling he didn't care. Whoops.

I'm an unapologetic Locker Jock-rider. I'd take him over the other QB's even if this was just a learning year for him.

Great rookie Years for cam and Dalton but I'd like to see less picks for cam. And I think Locker has a much bigger arm and ceiling than Dalton,

The jags better draft Justin Blackmon. I was screaming for the The Rams to get their young QB a weapon like Julio Jones.
  18. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,475 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    The top half of the first round last year was extremely productive. Almost all of them have played well, to say nothing of 2nd and 3rd rounders like Murray and Dalton.

Blaine Gabbert kind of sticks out like a sore thumb, but it's not like he's in the best situation down there.
  19. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,475 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    Locker has played very well. His % is low, but I think he's purposely thrown a lot of passes away. The Titans foolishly insisted on leaving Hasslebeck in the game on Sunday, even though he was hobbled like Roethlisberger was last night. Even in the 1st quarter, it looked like he could barely walk. They don't score a TD all game, then put Locker in and score a TD immediately. No way the Colts win if Munchak plays Locker the whole game.
  20. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,167 Messages
    2,232 Likes Received
    I like that list but the sample size is too small for Murray, imo.