1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Top 5 Cowboy CB's the last 30 years

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Arkyvarminter, Jun 29, 2014.

1. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

54,272 Messages
    7,133 Likes Received
    You can write whatever you want.
  2. TwentyOne

TwentyOne Well-Known Member

2,654 Messages
    185 Likes Received
    I know. I know. You would not understand what i meant anyways nor would it make you think deeper about what you wrote.

But at least i tried.
    Erik_H likes this.
  3. PJTHEDOORS

PJTHEDOORS Well-Known Member

3,093 Messages
    905 Likes Received
    And the 99% other times they faced each other, Rice shut him down I'm guessing.
  4. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

42,566 Messages
    2,167 Likes Received
    Kevin Smith Pre Injury was really good and had the potential to be great- but we will never know.

Tnew 2005-2007 was a top 10 CB in the league and nearly top 5. But I think our coaches never really used him to his greatest advantage.
  5. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

13,288 Messages
    2,778 Likes Received
    Kevin Smith was targetted with a whole bunch of BS calls after his achilles tear. If he stayed healthy, with Deion on the other side, it would have been something truly special. The guy was a shut-down corner and he made Jerry Rice, the best WR ever, very frustrated. It was hilarious watching the dynasty years,
    BigStar likes this.
  6. Tobal

Tobal Well-Known Member

2,143 Messages
    147 Likes Received
    Kevin Smith was great
    Everson Walls was a turnover machine, but he'd give up two long touchdowns for every interception.
  7. RonSpringsdaman20

RonSpringsdaman20 alpha seeing omega Zone Supporter

4,572 Messages
    1,686 Likes Received
    In Marv Albert voice
    "Yes, the bottom five!"
  8. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,778 Messages
    491 Likes Received
    Dennis Thurman didn't play a lot of CB by my memory....was a better safety after moving.

I think Larry Brown is extremely underrated because Kevin Smith before injury and Deon after injury were shut down corners, but that sent a lot of passes Brown's way and he was always considered 2nd tier to those two studs. Still, we won SB's with him manning one side,and if you watch those SB's being replayed on NFL Network, he was physical and usually right there...a very good player.
    CowboyFan74 and mrmojo like this.
  9. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

22,863 Messages
    1,950 Likes Received
    Mel Renfro didn't do squat for the Dallas Cowboys on the field in the last 30 years.
  10. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

26,545 Messages
    6,524 Likes Received
    Kareem Larrimore is not getting his proper respect. Same goes for Bruce Thornton.
    BigStar and Frozen700 like this.
  11. Alexander

26,545 Messages
    6,524 Likes Received
    One player who I thought played well for the Cowboys his only season in Dallas was Ryan McNeil.
    BigStar likes this.
  12. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

13,710 Messages
    1,716 Likes Received
    Your thread title says the last "30 years" but you start by saying you've been following the Cowboys for 38 years and was thinking about the CB's we've had over that time and decided to list your top 5. You end by saying remember this is the last 30 years so which is it the last 38 years or last 30 years? If you're listing CB's from the last 38 years Renfro would have to rank second behind Deion.

Renfro had only one fewer int (52) than Deion who had 53 and both players are in the HOF. If you're going to list CB's from the last 30 years Deion would again top the list followed by Everson Walls in my opinion. Walls had 57 career int's 43 of them came with the Cowboys. He had an amazing 11 int's his rookie year. The only knock on him is he only returned one career int for a score.
  13. Alexander

26,545 Messages
    6,524 Likes Received
    That sounds about right for Newman. He was good, but not great.

Had you posted this around four years ago, this would be a ten page thread complete with plenty of scolding for you being a bad fan.
  14. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

10,787 Messages
    2,415 Likes Received
    So going back 30 years or more, here are some forgotton names. Even if some only a year or two.

Ron Francis
    Ron Fellows
    Benny Barnes
    Herb Adderly
    Charlie waters, before he moved to S
    Cornelius Green, before he moved to S

a few others that were ok, Manny Hendrix, Robert Williams, and even Mike Jenkins.
  15. KJJ

13,710 Messages
    1,716 Likes Received
    I agree was never a Newman fan. He had terrible ball skills and dropped a number of easy int opportunities. When he did pick off a pass he got very little return yards out of them opting to head out of bounds. Most of his int's were a result of poorly thrown passes that came directly to him. Rarely did he ever jump a route because he always played not to get beat. He would give receivers plenty of cushion allowing them to catch balls in front of him which is why he wasn't giving up many TD's early in his career. It took 5 years before he had his first pick-six. Another knock I had on him was he never played as fast as his 4.37 40 time.

Saw him get run down several times after an int one particular time was vs Buffalo in 07 on a Monday Night game. He picked off a pass and had clear sailing to the end zone 70 yards away and was at least 5 yards ahead of the nearest defender and got caught by 2 players Lee Evens (granted he had great speed) and an RB who wasn't a speed burner. Early in his career he couldn't chase down an RB who broke free for a TD that's when several on the board I was posting on at the time started questioning his speed. He was a solid corner but not the playmaker he was billed to be coming out of college. Even as a punt returner he wasn't anything special.
  16. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

42,566 Messages
    2,167 Likes Received

yawn.
  17. KJJ

13,710 Messages
    1,716 Likes Received
    Then put me on ignore and stop reading my posts. I post the truth you can't stand hearing the truth.
  18. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

10,120 Messages
    1,244 Likes Received
    You're right. The OP says 38 years (in his first post), which takes us back to 1976, I believe. So Renfro isn't counted ... but that's sort of like looking at a Cowboys QB list that fails to include Staubach, so I think that's why it registered wrongly with some of us.
  19. KJJ

13,710 Messages
    1,716 Likes Received
    He took a lot of chances which is why he had so many int's.
  20. the_h0wey

the_h0wey Well-Known Member

1,118 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    It seems like you just don't like the guy...