1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Top 5 Cowboy CB's the last 30 years

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Arkyvarminter, Jun 29, 2014.

1. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,547 Messages
    980 Likes Received
    Deion was not just a fantastic CB - perhaps one the best the league has ever seen in terms of pure coverage skills, but also one of the best football players I have ever seen. In 1996 with Irvin suspended, he stepped in and put in serious time at WR. There are so few players capable of something like that.
  2. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,972 Messages
    9,067 Likes Received
    I started my list with Sanders and then lost interest.

Get down with the sickness.
  3. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,176 Messages
    2,237 Likes Received
    I assume Renfro was not eligible for his list of 30 years.
    He he was, I agree that he is maybe right behind Samders.
  4. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

11,366 Messages
    1,047 Likes Received
    Even if Renfro was eligible for his list over the last 38 years which was the OP's original time frame he would have a tough time cracking the top 5 because the last 38 years would only cover Renfro's last 2 seasons when he was past his prime. On an all-time top 5 Cowboys CB list Renfro would rank #1 in my opinion because he had more int's as a "Cowboy" than any Cowboys corner and he was elected to the HOF based on his career with the Cowboys.

Although Deion is arguably the greatest CB in NFL history only 14 of his career high 53 int's came as a Cowboy. Deion's HOF career was built on what he accomplished in Atlanta, SF and Dallas. Deion made his biggest impact statistically in Atlanta where he picked off 24 of his career high 53 int's. He returned 3 int's for scores in his 5 years with the Falcons and returned 2 int's for scores in his 5 years in Dallas.
  5. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,176 Messages
    2,237 Likes Received
    Yeah, I already made the argument for Sanders having a great career in Atlanta in another thread.
    And said all that you just said there.
    No denying he was great there.

I do also think he was great in Dallas.
  6. Tobal

Tobal Well-Known Member

2,006 Messages
    76 Likes Received
    Which is also why he gave up so many big plays
  7. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

11,366 Messages
    1,047 Likes Received
    That's what happens to corners who gamble a lot and don't have great speed. When a receiver got a step on Walls he didn't have the speed to recover.
  8. cowboys1981

cowboys1981 Well-Known Member

2,567 Messages
    1,414 Likes Received
    This thread just proves how a good dline can make a CB look better than they are. Thats why just about everyone's list of players played with a good pass rush in front of them and its why we cant make a good case for a CB outside of 2000.

IMO before Deion showed up we had a better trio of safeties (Washington-Woodson-Marion) than CB's (Smith-Brown-Holt).

I'll duck in 3.....2...1....... lol
  9. Tobal

Tobal Well-Known Member

2,006 Messages
    76 Likes Received
    Smith was fantastic pre achilles
  10. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

5,314 Messages
    516 Likes Received
    Dang you. I had a mouthful of cheeseburger when reading this. Now I need a new keyboard.
    Frozen700 likes this.
  11. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasing Zone Supporter

3,842 Messages
    1,535 Likes Received
    Agree with that one big time. He had a great year for us but the team went 5-11 and were in the early stages of facing the cap for Deion/Irvin and Aikman that next off season after he retired (was released). Underrated player/pickup...
  12. scooper

scooper Benched

150 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    Any list has to include Bryant Westbrook! He didn't give up a completion after the first game of the season. Lolol

Kevin Smith was good. Could you imagine him healthy playing opposite Deion! Wow we woulda been good.
  13. Section444

Section444 Well-Known Member

4,338 Messages
    846 Likes Received
    Mo Claiborne has to be there somewhere :)