1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Top 5 Needs For...

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CM Duck, Dec 5, 2005.

1. CM Duck

CM Duck I'm breaking the 4th wall...

999 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    the offseason(actually they can be needs for right now) either in free agency or draft.

1) upgrade O-line. especially the tackle position. why not find a top LT in the draft or F/A and move Flo back to the RT? Prolly won't happen, but the O-line has gone downhill since Flo has been gone.

2) MLB/ILB. with Dat possibly done for good this needs to be addressed pronto! unless Burnett can step up I think Jerry and Tuna should look at one of the LBs from Ohio State. #42 and 47. I think one or both are ILBs. but I am not sure if they are SRs or coming out early.

3) place kicker. with Vanderjagt(sp?) and Viniateri(sp?) possible free agents this offseason, they are worth the big bucks. just look at how many games we could have won if a field goal would have been made instead of missed.(redskins, seahawks, and broncos games) and good consisitent kickoffs would be nice to see.

4) free safety. just imagine how awesome Doomsday would be right now if we still had D-Wood? I seriously doubt we will ever find the next D-Wood, but Doomsday can use an upgrade at FS so they can let Roy loose.

5) draft a QB. I don't mean trying to get Leinart, but maybe find a guy in the 3rd-5th rounds. I know all you guys that have this man-crush for Henson, but I think they will send him to Europe in the offseason and he will choke. Or if he does good enough they will use him for trade bait. Drew only has 2 more years after this season.

BY NO MEANS AM I READY TO ABANDON SHIP(like alot of you), BUT SINCE THERE ARE ALOT OF YOU GUYS CRYING AFTER EVERY LOSS I FIGURE I'D THROW IN MY 2 CENTS ABOUT WHAT IS MISSING TO MAKE THIS TEAM GREAT.

plus alot of you that are calling for Tuna's, Drew's, Jerry's, etc's head were the ones who "made fun" of me when I predicted a 10-6/11-5 record for this year. I remember many posts saying the Cowboys would be lucky to go 8-8 this year.
  2. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    my top-5 wishlist

1. LT
    2. LG
    3. C
    4. RG
    5. RT

hehe
  3. SacredStar

SacredStar Active Member

2,693 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    Dallas will upgrade O-Line thru free agency and the draft.

My money says Dallas gives up a pick next year to San Diego for P. Rivers.
  4. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Well-Known Member

11,814 Messages
    62 Likes Received
    LT and LG are good for now IMO(Although a 3rd-5th round LG wouldnt hurt)
    C- anyone average. Nor MAwae though, he has rivera written all over him imo
    RG
    At least an average vet to compete with Petitti who desperately needs work in the weight room

I was on FS, but I dont know, I think Keith is serviceable, and thats all we need w/ the talent around him
    2nd-3rd round ILB- Bobby Carpenter?
    3rd-4th WR- a Jerome Mathis/Chris Henry young project with #1 potential

Steve Hoffman and Vanderjagt
  5. CM Duck

CM Duck I'm breaking the 4th wall...

999 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Maybe not a pick(s) from the upcoming draft, but maybe a 1st in the following year's draft. Or a 2nd with Henson. After next season we SHOULD have alot less needs than we prolly will after this season.

I do see SD sticking with Breez, he has proved himself, Rivers hasn't
  6. Asklesko

Asklesko Active Member

1,064 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    We need to get an offensive line and a wide receiver. Oh, and how about keeping the defense like it is? You know, not let it slide into a complacent bunch of Marcellus Wileys like last year?
  7. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    take Andrew Whitworth in the 1st to sit behind Flo

sign Pat OT Tom Ashworth to compete with Pettiti, a relatively cheap FA signing

squeeze in C Jeff Mitchell
  8. jlust22

jlust22 Member

523 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Offensive line across the board is the obvious need, but I think you have to upgrade the WR corps too. Another year of Glenn and Keyshawn as the top two WR's doesn't excite me much especially since they'll both be yet another year older next year. Glenn and Key are both limited in what they can do and are a very average set of starting WR's. The Cowboys need a young and explosive WR who can actually get some yards after the catch which Glenn and Key aren't capable of doing.
  9. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Well-Known Member

11,814 Messages
    62 Likes Received
    How about Reggie Wayne? Solid #2.

And then the next year Dwayne Jarrett(probably in a trade up)

I dont know why Im going so far ahead, but basically, if I was playing Madden, In a few years:

#1 Dwayne Jarrett
    2- Reggie Wayne
    #3 Crayton
  10. jbsg02

jbsg02 Active Member

1,719 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    1 RT
    2 C
    3 FS
    4 ILB
    5 WR

Those are short term needs. Long term needs include QB, Left and Right Guard, more WR's, OLB, DT.
  11. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,515 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    1. RT
    2. C
    3. ILB (to replace Shanle)
    4. FS
    5. Another RT just incase.
  12. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    oh no, Nors won't like that
  13. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,515 Messages
    463 Likes Received

Well hopefully, for Nors' sake, Shanle will be released and Nors can spend more time with him.

Seriously though, I like Shanle as a backup. But he's no starter.

Or we could move Burnett inside and hope for the best. Either way, we need another LB. What about moving Burnett inside and picking up John Abraham if he becomes available? I'd trade our first for Abraham (since it won't be a high first).

Abraham on one side and Ware on the other... scary.
  14. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I'd rather we not trade a 1st for Abraham, PLUS invest all that money on him, Jerry is already scared about the impact his spending spree will have on the future cap

and I'm pretty set on the idea of taking one of these monster OTs in the 1st, call me stubborn aka Bill Parcells
  15. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,184 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    You aint kidding. :bow:
  16. jay cee

jay cee Active Member

2,900 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :D Goodone man. I didn't catch on until I got down to number 4. :eek::
  17. 4lifecowboy

4lifecowboy Active Member

814 Messages
    50 Likes Received
    1) Center (F/A)

2) ILB (draft)

3) LOLB (draft)

4) FS (draft)

5) WR ( F/A or draft)

This team is not as bad off as it seems, lack of O-line depth and a weak link up the middle is the main reason for their collapse. Though no one is standing out as far as being "dominant" at their position, the C position is clearly our achilles, I know most people see the inexperienced book ends as the main colprates but i see different, the pressure up the middle is what is killing the running game, and in effect is damaging the passing game. Flo will be back next year, and our inexperienced T will have more experience. That being said i hope we draft a young interior lineman after the 1st three rounds.
    As good as the D is we are still not as effective as we need to be at pass rushing to be truely dominant, LBs and a NT should be addressed in the draft, I know most feel we need a FS and I wouldn't be against getting one later in the draft, but with a stronger pass rush and healthy knees Berry-o, I feel could play that position for us.
  18. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy Well-Known Member

32,158 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    Good one....but, that is exactly how I feel!
  19. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

6,037 Messages
    203 Likes Received
    At least 2 OL.

2 LB. 1 ILB that can defeat blocks of OGs. 1 OLB that can pass rush and effectively drop into coverage.

1 WR. This team needs some pop or explosion from the WR position. Since Glenn really isn't a good runner with the ball, he really is a non-factor in games where we cant throw the ball downfield. While Key and Crayton are solid players, glenn is the only one who really strikes fear into the opposing defenses.
  20. baj1dallas

baj1dallas New Member

6,556 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    1 ILB
    2 RT
    3 FB/blocking TE

Dallas also really does need to look around for a QB to develop behind Bledsoe.