1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Top 5 Safeties (positional rankings thread)

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by jterrell, Feb 22, 2011.

1. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,882 Messages
    1,477 Likes Received
    My own top 5:

1) Rahim Moore - Best overall size/speed candidate. Expected to slip in just under a 4.5 and weigh in at 6'1" and 200 pounds. good coverage skills.

2) Ahmad Black - Poor man's Troy Polamalu imho. Great instincts and will make plays. Gambles a bit. Far less than ideal measurables but Troy P is probably 5'9" with a shaved head.

3) Deunta Williams - If he is healthy he may be the best overall athlete. Even bigger than Moore and at most a half step slower. Might get too big for a coverage FS as he goes 215 or so now.

4) DeAndre McDaniel - Better natural athlete but lesser collegiate player than Mike Hamlin at the same school. Could move up with impressive combine times.

5) Jeron Johnson - Boise kid intrigues me. Lacks height but has the build to handle an NFL pounding and enough speed to cover tight ends and most backs.
  2. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

8,077 Messages
    543 Likes Received
    Ahmad Black is going to be a good player in this league. If he's there in the third, I would pull the trigger.
  3. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,882 Messages
    1,477 Likes Received
    If I did a Pet cat draft I'd have Black to us in r3. I think he can fall that far because he has less than ideal measurables, but I believe he plays well above where he gets drafted.

gimme

1. sherrod
    2. wisnieski
    3. black

and i'd be a happy happy man.
  4. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,520 Messages
    348 Likes Received
    where is Robert Sands, he is much better than McDaniel
  5. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,520 Messages
    348 Likes Received
    Wisienski sucks man, sorry but he can't hadle NFL strength. He go owned vs Alabama and FLorida. He is a zone blocking center no way a power lineman which the cowboys like.
  6. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I love Deunta Williams with a star on his helmut

Big, physical strong safety who hits well, and is fairly fluid and agile. Can cover the requisite amount of ground to be a 4-down player, and has been very productive at a high level for one of America's best collegiate defenses. Will make receivers hear footsteps, and will have a shot at being one of the coveted true secondary enforcers in this draft.
  7. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    One of the best pure cover safeties in this draft is Tejay Johnson from TCU. Unfortunitly he's probably also one of the slowest safeties in this draft. He easily has the best recongition and ball skills of all the safeties. He is also the best technition. At the college level it was enough to make up for his lake of speed but I worry about him in the pro's.

I would not at all be opposed to taking him in the later rounds and I'm real interested to see how he runs in his work outs.
  8. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    What about Quinton Carter?
  9. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I would not consider Rahim Moore as somone who has great "size." He has good height 6'+, but likely 185-195 lbs range, and not well-built (relatively speaking) at all.