1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Top 6 Centers

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by xwalker, Mar 26, 2012.

1. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,707 Messages
    5,861 Likes Received
    Below are the CBS rankings of the top 6 centers. I have included their measureables for reference.

[IMG]
  2. xwalker

13,707 Messages
    5,861 Likes Received
    I just don't understand the Ben Jones analysis and ranking. Most analysts have Ben Jones ranked as the 2nd best Center.

In the games I watched, Jones did not appear to be very athletic or have great anchor ability. I saw him get bullrushed into the backfield, get beat by quickness of the snap, fall to the ground often and he appeared heavy-legged in the open field. I'm not saying that the analysts are wrong, I'm just trying to understand what I'm missing.

Analysts like Bunting say that Philip Blake has limited athleticism and should only be in a man-blocking scheme. I don't understand this either. To me, Blake appears at least as quick and agile as Konz or Jones. He appears to have good anchor ability with a strong lower body. He appears much more fluid in open space than Jones. To top it off, his shotgun snaps are very quick and accurate.

Looking at the measureables makes me think I'm not completely crazy in my evaluation of Jones and Blake. Blake is better in all of the quickness and agility measurements while being bigger than Jones. Blake has slightly longer arms while Jones has much better upper body strength.

Maybe I just happened to watch all of the bad Games for Jones and all of the good games for Blake, or maybe I just need glasses, or maybe I just don't know poop about OLinemen.
  3. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,667 Messages
    1,487 Likes Received
    Blake likely down graded for being 27 year old rookie.
  4. xwalker

13,707 Messages
    5,861 Likes Received
    Yes, 26 when the season starts. I'm not too concerned about the age of a draft pick, especially a 3rd or 4th rounder. I would be concerned if he was a developmental QB.

IMO, age is only important from the time a player is drafted until he becomes a FA. When a player hits Free Agency, is there really any advantage to him being on your teams roster? The Boys signed Brandon Carr from KC in 2012 for 50 mil when he hit FA. KC did not appear to have any advantage when it came to signing him.

For me, age would be a big concern for a mid to late round developmental QB. He's probably not ready to start until he is near Free Agency. If he Cowboys thought that McGee was good, they would probably have extended his contract this year while nobody else (including fans and other teams) really know if he can play. Unfortunately, the Orton signing confirms that they don't even consider him good enough to the the #2.

I digress...
  5. xwalker

13,707 Messages
    5,861 Likes Received
    Anybody familiar with Quenton Saulsberry ? He played mostly OG in 2011. Does anybody know which games he played OC?
  6. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    FWIW, I heard Pat Kirwan ask Josh Chapman who the best player he played against was. His answer was Saulsberry. Kirwan followed that up and said that he was not surprised that was a name he had heard more and more about from his contacts.
  7. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,855 Messages
    1,695 Likes Received
    this is such BS that the guy is marked down because he is 26. Especially for a center; look how many are playing well into their late 30's.

And now that you cannot sign anyone to a contract longer then 5 years why is it important at all?
  8. cowboysooner

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    Because his improvement from a physical standpoint will not be as much as a guy who is 22 or 23.
  9. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,855 Messages
    1,695 Likes Received
    SO? and how do you know it won't? there have been late bloomers before. Still a dumb reason not to pick him. If the guy can be a good center what else matters?
  10. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,056 Messages
    952 Likes Received
    Right on. Good info. Love Saulsberry. My favourite lineman in this draft. He appears to fit the new line perfectly.
  11. FootballCorner

FootballCorner New Member

26 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I like Tyler Horn (Miami, Fla) and Mark Spinney (Boston College) and centers that can move and are good technical blockers. They are guys that can develop. I think Horn is a lot like Konz. All three need to show they can handle power better.

Very poor center draft. In most years, Konz would not crack the top 2 rounds. Brewster might end up being the best of the bunch in the long run. Tough year to need a center, might look for a guard to convert.
  12. xwalker

13,707 Messages
    5,861 Likes Received
    Brewster has good quickness and agility. He appears to lack power in his lower body and hands. He gets overextended and falls to the ground often. I'm not sure if this is due to limited anchor strength or short arms.
  13. cowboysooner

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    That's why the Cowboys don't need to go bass fishing in the crappie pond.