1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Top Center in the draft?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by vaturkey, Dec 31, 2012.

1. vaturkey

vaturkey Active Member

407 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    Who is it and what round is he expected to go in?
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,643 Messages
    1,479 Likes Received
    I have seen those mentioning Warmack at C. If he could do it, having a C who could handle a NT one on one would jump the the running game.
  3. Leadbelly

Leadbelly Well-Known Member

788 Messages
    308 Likes Received
    Barrett Jones, C, Alabama - Maybe anywhere within picks 38 - 50 assuming no medical problems. Feel he'll grade out similar to Max Unger (2/49) or Andy Levitre (2/51) in 2009; Stefan Wisniewski (2/48) in 2011. Peter Konz (2/55) in 2012.

He's not a Pouncey-level interior OL to me.
  4. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,087 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    Jones is certainly no Pouncey. But I could also make the argument that none of our interior lineman are on Barrett Jones' level. I don't think he's worth of our 1st round pick, but in a trade down scenario or if he's still there in the 2nd and I would like the pick. He would definitely start from day 1 and be an immediate improvement for us, maybe not pro bowl level but good enough.
  5. dart

dart Benched

811 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Braxston Cave C, ND 6-3 #304
  6. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,614 Messages
    5,772 Likes Received
  7. vaturkey

vaturkey Active Member

407 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    I think back to the super bowl years. We always have a very good center to anchor the line. Stepnoski didn't get much credit, but he was very quick and smart as can be. We need improvement in that area for sure.
  8. Pessimist_cowboy

Pessimist_cowboy Well-Known Member

2,304 Messages
    779 Likes Received
    I agree . I think when it's all said and done he will be the best center . He is a natural at the center position .
  9. Silverstar

Silverstar Active Member

3,968 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    I doubt Costa or Cook are going anywhere and Bernadeau can play center as well.

I wouldn't look at this postion until the 5th round.
  10. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,583 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    If Jones dropped to our 2nd round pick I'd go crazy.

If Jones dropped to our 2nd round pick but we didn't draft him I'd beat Jerry Jones down with a soup spoon.
  11. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,163 Messages
    332 Likes Received
    yea, we may need to jump St. Louis, depending on where they go in round 1
  12. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,969 Messages
    471 Likes Received
    Noooooooooooooooooooo.

It's time to get a real mans O-Line people! An O-Line Romo will buy Segway's at the end of the year!
  13. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,969 Messages
    471 Likes Received
    Ya they gonna snag Warmack?
  14. Garland powerplay

Garland powerplay Active Member

1,228 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Nate Newton, Larry Allen, Mark Stepnoski ,Erik Williams available.
  15. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,263 Messages
    534 Likes Received
    Problem is the Cowboys can't find OL talent in the 5th round. Time to start spending high draft picks on the OL.

Cooper in the 1st or Jones in the 2nd. We need quality players, not 2-3 year projects.
  16. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,614 Messages
    5,772 Likes Received
    Jonathan Cooper might be a candidate to play Center. He started 1 game at Center in college.
  17. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,791 Messages
    1,668 Likes Received
    just how well have we done shopping for O lline outside of the first 2 rds?

Like in the last 20 years?

we have sucked Basketballs through garden hoses
  18. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,878 Messages
    1,475 Likes Received
    I had Barrett Jones penciled in before the season to us but watching him play OC merely convinced me he isn't an OC.

Jones really struggled in some games and showed VERY limited movement skills.

He looks to me a lot like Nate Livings minus experience. Solid in a phone booth but on the move it becomes a 50/50 proposition. He never had a chance to get double team blocks on the quicker DL he faced like Sheldon Richardson and the kid from TAMU(Not Moore).

This guy is a hot name amongst Cowboy fans but he is no where near a DeCastro type prospect.

Would love to get Jones in about Round 4 and teach him OG but he'll get snagged earlier based on his collegiate hardware.
  19. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,878 Messages
    1,475 Likes Received
    Cooper appears to be the hot name on interior OL. hopefully we see him a lot in the pre-draft process.
  20. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,270 Messages
    1,217 Likes Received
    A large part of the problem is the team outsmarting themselves. They have this habit of overlooking obvious prospects in favor of the obscure.