1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Top Dems to Pelosi - Zip It!!

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Dallas, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    WASHINGTON — Twenty top Democratic donors who are supporting Hillary Rodham Clinton criticized House Speaker Nancy Pelosi in a letter asking her to retract her comments on superdelegates and stay out of the Democratic fight over their role in the presidential race.

In their letter, Clinton’s supporters said superdelegates “must look to not one criterion but to the full panoply of factors that will help them assess who will be the party’s strongest nominee in the general election.”

The letter also noted the donors “have been strong supporters” of the House Democrats’ fundraising arm. “We therefore urge you to clarify your position on superdelegates and reflect in your comments a more open view to the optional independent actions of each of the delegates at the national convention in August.”

Pelosi, who has not endorsed either candidate as chair of the Democratic National Convention, said during a March 16 appearance on ABC’s “This Week” that it would be harmful to the party if superdelegates don’t support the pledged delegate winner.

“This is an untenable position that runs counter to the party’s intent in establishing superdelegates in 1984,” the letter from the wealthy Clinton backers said.

No matter what the outcome of the 10 remaining contests, it will be nearly impossible for Clinton to overcome rival Barack Obama’s lead in pledged delegates, because they are awarded proportionally based on the outcome.
    So it will be up to the nearly 800 superdelegates — party activists and elected officials who aren’t bound by any vote — to put one of the two candidates over the mark of 2,024 delegates needed to win the nomination.

Obama has 1,406 pledged delegates to Clinton’s 1,249, according to The Associated Press count.
    Obama spokesman Bill Burton said, “This letter is inappropriate and we hope the Clinton campaign will reject the insinuation contained in it.”

“Regardless of the outcome of the nomination fight, Senator Obama will continue to urge his supporters to assist Speaker Pelosi in her efforts to maintain and build a working majority in the House of Representatives,” Burton said.

Clinton spokesman Phil Singer said Clinton had made the case superdelegates should exercise independent judgment about who would be the best for the party and the country.

“Few have done more to build the Democratic Party than Bill and Hillary Clinton. The last thing they need is a lecture from the Obama campaign,” he said.

The letter was first reported by the political blog Talking Points Memo.

Gotta love Clinton and her machine telling everyone just how its going to be done. :laugh2:

Taking the vote away from the people. How flippin sad. I would lynch the Republicans if they took my vote from me. Let the people decide.

Discuss? No? Yes? Maybe? Probabably Not?
  2. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

8,840 Messages
    94 Likes Received
    These big donors are part of the old system. After watching Obama raise as much money as he has from nothing but small donors, these people are going the way of the dinosaur and the days of them having the pull they used to have within the party are over.

It's a last ditch effort on their part to try and keep some power in the party with their money.
  3. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,271 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    Why are there even Super delagates?
  4. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,964 Messages
    3,178 Likes Received
    Well normally I am all in favor of Nancy keeping her mouth shut, but in this case...Talk Nancy Talk.:laugh1:
  5. Bach

Bach Benched

7,645 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Gotta love it when these liberals turn on each other.

*catfight*
  6. PosterChild

PosterChild New Member

2,027 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    A scheme to game the system if the party elite didn't like the outcome of the primary voting. Bob Beckel confessed a couple months ago that he helped install it; time to dump it because it's inherently unfair.
  7. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It was a reaction by the Democrats to the 1972 and 1976 nominations of George McGovern and Jimmy Carter, respectively. Neither candidate met with the approval of the party elite -- in fact McGovern was seen as a plain foolish choice. So they instituted the Superdelegates who could then provide an "override" of sorts if the rank-and-file voters made an unpopular decision for a nominee.

Here's a good recap on the recent history of Democrat nomination quirks from The Nation:

8. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    MoveOn.org is fighting back!

I'm on their email list (as a mole, of course :D) and I just got this email from them:

9. BrAinPaiNt

59,964 Messages
    3,178 Likes Received
    Sure it is as a mole.

LIBERAL LEFTY LIBERAL LEFTY!!!!

:laugh2:
  10. PosterChild

PosterChild New Member

2,027 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This is rather off topic, but have you guys seen the cans on her? I'm telling you back in the day, pre-botox she would have been a hottie.
  11. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :yourock:

You da woman Nancy!
  12. Dallas

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Allllrighty then. Welcome to ignore.

:laugh2: :laugh2: j/k
  13. BrAinPaiNt

59,964 Messages
    3,178 Likes Received
    :laugh2: :laugh2: Yes...that one worried me, which is saying a great deal due to me being a perv.
  14. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,876 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I get what you're saying man. Back in the 1960's, not now in her 60's, she was attractive.
  15. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,439 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    Female politicians. Just show me the good looking ones. should not take long.
  16. Dallas

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    You said the good lookin ones right? :D

PostrChild can have 60 year old Pelosi's dancing around in his head all he wants. Give me Sarah. ;)

[IMG]

Sarah Palin - Governor, AK.