1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Top hopefuls may be all gone...

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Chuck 54, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,443 Messages
    338 Likes Received
    Donald could go as high as #12 to Giants....only DTs on their roster are Cullen Jenkins, Johnathan Hankins and Markus Kuhn. No way this guys makes it past Giants and Chicago and others to us at 16.
    Clinton-Dix would likely then go to Chicago....huge void at safety and lost in free agency.

If those two are gone, and many think it's now very likely they will be, then I think it's
    Zack Martin....would make a lot of sense as he can play either T or move inside to G...building the OL
    Pryor....some like him better on the back end than HaHa, in coverage, and at least his physicality brings something special or unique to the secondary.

Otherwise, hope to trade down a little and look at Hageman, DT or Ealy, DE.

No one likes it, but I'd pull the trigger at #16 on CB Darqueze Dennard...I love the way this guy covers and completes and is physical. We have Scandrick and Carr...questions about Claiborne and BW Webb. It's not often that you get to draft a top CB like Dennard. You're never deep enough or good enough at CB.

We will find plenty of guys who can help us in the front 7 after round 1 if our favorites are gone.
  2. the_h0wey

the_h0wey Well-Known Member

1,086 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    I really do not want Pryor. I would love Martin or Ealy.
  3. neosapien23

neosapien23 Well-Known Member

2,777 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    New York will not take Donald. If they take a DT it will be either Nix or Jernigan. NY values size at the DT position which is why they made Austin gain weight when he would have been better playing in the sub 300 lbs range.
  4. DuDa

DuDa Well-Known Member

501 Messages
    269 Likes Received
    If all are taken the lets hope that a QB drops. We'll get max value on a trade down.
  5. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,620 Messages
    5,779 Likes Received
    I agree with the above post that Donald is doubtful to the Giants. They play a 4-3 over or balanced 4-3 more than a 4-3 under. They like bigger DTs. Jernigan would be a perfect fit for them.

If Donald is gone, then at least 1 of the highly ranked players are likely available. It could be Barr, Lewan, Evans. If Evans or a top 3 QB makes it to #16, then the trade value of 16 is probably high.

All of the other players you named are on a similar tier, IMO, which would also be a good situation to trade down.
  6. dogberry

dogberry Well-Known Member

2,436 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    Could we get a #1 and #2 for Evans or one of the QBs?
  7. Questfor6

Questfor6 Well-Known Member

1,315 Messages
    282 Likes Received
    Think it all depends on how far we'd be moving down. If we go down to 26 with Cleveland it would probably be two 3rds because their 2nd is so high on the trade chart. Say we trade down to San Fran or Carolina then I guarantee we will get a 2nd this year because I don't see Jerry being dumb enough to get swindled twice.
    DFWJC and dogberry like this.
  8. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known Member

4,296 Messages
    1,280 Likes Received
    Mosley is a guy to be thinkin about at 16. Real good fit. Lee has yet to prove he can take the poundings of a full season.

Will - Lee, Holloman
    Mike - Mosley, Lee
    Sam - Carter, Wilber
  9. Hardline

Hardline Well-Known Member

844 Messages
    348 Likes Received
    I have a very hard time seeing the Giants passing on Taylor Lewen if he is available to them. Donald may as well be fitted for a Bears uniform now.
  10. fishspill

fishspill Well-Known Member

1,120 Messages
    100 Likes Received
    If the knee checks out and you feel good about him controlling his weight, I'm in the Louis Nix camp. Seems a foregone conclusion he'll be a 3-4 NT but if he has the character to keep his weight in check I think he can operate in the 4-3. Love his recognition.
  11. Tezz

Tezz Active Member

378 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    I think the pick will be Dee Ford... Instantly helps the Cowboys' non-existent speed off the edge and I think everybody knows what they are getting weakness/strength in Ford
  12. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,607 Messages
    3,138 Likes Received
    I don't want Ha-Ha either. He's not a FS type.
    the_h0wey likes this.
  13. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,191 Messages
    2,787 Likes Received
    It is simple. Trade up 5 spots with Tenn to #11 and take Donald there. We get the perfect DT for 10 years and they probably get their same guy at 16 (I hear they like Pryor).

Problem solved. :)
  14. MichaelWinicki

32,607 Messages
    3,138 Likes Received
    What about Martin at 16?
  15. MichaelWinicki

32,607 Messages
    3,138 Likes Received
    I hope they don't do that. This is such a deep draft that I hate the thought of giving up picks to get that "one" guy.

If Donald (or another quality DL) isn't there at 16, then take Martin and greatly improve the depth of the OL.
    jnday likes this.
  16. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,191 Messages
    2,787 Likes Received
    Yeah, I know most here wouldn't do it, and I understand why. I would though. They guy would be absolutely dominant in Marinelli's defense (and anyone's who needs a DT with rare quickness and speed).
  17. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I would be repeating the same trade-up mistake that was made with the Mo deal. That deal cost the Cowboys one or two starters that they need now.
  18. MichaelWinicki

32,607 Messages
    3,138 Likes Received
    Yeah.

With the potential compensatory picks added, the team has a great opportunity to pick up a starter or two this season, some future starters and some key depth.

And it's such a loaded draft... I just can't see giving up 1 pick.
  19. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,191 Messages
    2,787 Likes Received
    Except it wouldn't be a second round pick, and it would be someone that they actually spent a lot of time scouting and (presumably) knew better. I wouldn't give a second to move up for Donald. To go from 16 to 11 it would cost a third at most. Maybe a 4th with as many people wanting to move back. If Tenn wants Pryor, then he will be there at 16 and they could get a 4th.

Anyway, I get why you don't want to. I just would for a 4th and maybe a 3rd.
  20. waving monkey

waving monkey Well-Known Member

2,344 Messages
    904 Likes Received
    I agree it's not popular but if the mantra "the under tackle is the motor" of the Tampa2 is true then go get him. It's an important piece.
    AsthmaField likes this.