1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Top Ten QB's of all time by QB rating....Only two don't have a ring...

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Arkyvarminter, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Arkyvarminter

Arkyvarminter Well-Known Member

1,121 Messages
    211 Likes Received
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,867 Messages
    1,708 Likes Received
    Kind of shows how the NFL is nowadays since 7 of that 10 are currently playing and another only retired a few years ago.
  3. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,911 Messages
    1,413 Likes Received
    Plus, 11th is Matt Schaub. That should also emphasize your point. Higher passer ratings are normal in today's game.
  4. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,558 Messages
    1,815 Likes Received
    I cant believe Phillip Rivers is still on that list after he has been a turnover machine the last couple of years.
  5. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,202 Messages
    2,039 Likes Received
    A lot of Great, Great QBs not on that list. Game is so different today, it's unbelievable.
  6. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

15,206 Messages
    313 Likes Received
    as much as I hate the guy any list of QBs that has Joe Montana 10th should be burned and never talked about again.
  7. Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead Well-Known Member

1,060 Messages
    292 Likes Received
    It's one of the reasons why I HATE HATE HATE the bump and run coverage rule change of 1978.
  8. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

9,243 Messages
    1,443 Likes Received
    While there may be a slight bump in overall averages, I would suggest that it isn't simply due to advantageous rules for offenses. I think there are a lot of elements that go into these better rated quarterbacks.

I think one of the biggest reasons why QB ratings are up is a bit misleading. And that is the use of short, high percentage throws. QBs throw more passes, and shorter routes. Resulting in less interceptions, higher completion rating, and more yards. Which tends to stack QB ratings.

The best sign of a good quarterback is their completion rating in comparison with their yards per attempt and touchdowns per attempt.

Tony Romo is 6th in completion percentage in nfl history, 6th in yards per attempt in nfl history, 27th in touchdown percentage in nfl history.

All of which he has done without a stellar offensive line.
  9. Sonny#9

Sonny#9 Well-Known Member

1,576 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    I think it also shows the uselessness of the QB rating as a stat.
  10. Califan007

Califan007 Well-Known Member

1,223 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    It's not useless at all. It just depends on how it's being used.
  11. FootballFan1

FootballFan1 Member

296 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Yes, I agree as a Pats fan. Montana to me is the best that ever played the game as QB. He was flat out amazing and used to enjoy watching him just hit the field. Just the best. And I have never been a San Fran fan. Never, but it is a pleasure to watch the best play.

And I also think Brady is just so underrated, no he is not Montana, but WHO was??? I sat in the Pats stadium and watched loser Bledsoe have a another losing season, he goes down (what was he 1 and 4 then) -- thanks to the Jets - and the same team goes on to win a SB with Brady. Same team. And I know the comments that will be coming, but I choose to ignore them. Same team, but the results quite different. He is a winner and worked at it to become one of the best ever.

But Montana at number 10 is the most stupid thought that I can even believe. Duh, number 1. Period.
  12. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,202 Messages
    2,039 Likes Received
    I would not go this far but, I would certainly put him on that very short list of QBs who could be in the running as the very best and that list would consist of no more then 5 if that many.