1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Toyota Prius...

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by trickblue, May 23, 2008.

1. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,725 Messages
    143 Likes Received
    The wife just ordered a Prius as she has to log several hundred miles a week with her job. She now drives an 07 Mountaineer Premier, which although very nice, maxes out at about 21 miles per gallon. Very nice truck but gas prices are killing it's value (and our pocketbook).

A friend of mine owns a Prius, so we test drove her's as no dealers have them in stock. I was pleasantly surprised at the responsiveness and pep this little car has. Since electric motors have max torque at zero rpms, it just jumps off of the line. I was also shocked at the room in the back seat. Our three kids sat more comfortably in the Prius' back seat than they did the Mountaineer (although we do have a third seat in the Mountaineer).

Do any of you have a Prius? I wanted to know about potential issues or maximizing it's use.
  2. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,038 Messages
    3,973 Likes Received
    My friend's father has a prius, I sent her an email to find out. I know the fam loves it because they live in the country outside S.A. and have to drive into town quite a bit.

Hey, didn't your wife used to have the cute little VW jetta or something? It was blue.
  3. VietCowboy

VietCowboy Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.

2,915 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I don't own one, but for a while, I was wavering between the Honda Fit vs. the Prius. The fit is about 6-9K LESS than the Prius depending on packaging, plus, while the Fit doesnt get as much mileage, it is very decent. Plus, it has more space, magic seats, etc.

Now, I hear Honda will be coming out with a Hybrid Fit-like car in early 2009, and for sure, I will be jumping all over that, and it will be max 18K (The president says that it won't cost more than 1,900 than current ones).

Anyway, I've only heard good things about the Prius, so your wifey made a great choice.
  4. trickblue

28,725 Messages
    143 Likes Received
    She had a Mini Cooper, but when we took it in for some maintenance, we found it had been severely wrecked, so we returned it...

The Honda dealership told us that it was, but the Fit doesn't "fit" our family size...

Now VW has the TDI engine (Turbo Diesel) that already gets 54 mpg and they drive nicely and have plenty of pep. VW is coming out with a TDI-Hybrid in 2009 or 2010 that will get 70 mpg...
  5. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,877 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    One of our Tech guys at work has had one since they first came out. He's never complained about any problems and I know he has to have close to 100,000 miles on it.
  6. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    Watch Jeff Dunham's video about a blue Prius.

:grin:
  7. Mavs Man

Mavs Man All outta bubble gum

4,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    A rental company gave us a Prius a few years ago while our car was in the shop. I was surprised at how smooth it was and how easily it could get on the highway. It has more power than you would think.
  8. Route 66

Route 66 Active Member

3,309 Messages
    6 Likes Received

The Prius has a very roomy backseat. Most wouldn't believe that by looking at the outside but once you sit back there-its nice.
  9. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,887 Messages
    3,352 Likes Received
    I heard on TV just a night or two ago there was a 2 month wait.

Do you have a long wait on the delivery TB?
  10. trickblue

28,725 Messages
    143 Likes Received
    2-3 weeks they say...

We went with a dealer in Louisiana because the Texas dealers are marking them up from $2000-$5000 over MSRP. What's the point in buying one as $5000 buys a lot of gas...
  11. VietCowboy

VietCowboy Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.

2,915 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    yeah, but the 2009 Fit is getting a little wider, bigger, and more powerful. I wish the JDM version with the panoramic sky/sun roof was available in NA.

but definitely you can't go wrong with a Prius...as far as VW vs. Honda, I guess it's me, but I would only ever get a Toyota or Honda, JDM assembled. I don't know too much about German-made cars, are they as reliable as Japan-made?
  12. the kid 05

the kid 05 Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds

9,538 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    haha oh man Jef-ffa Dun...HAAM is great i love that dude
  13. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,038 Messages
    3,973 Likes Received
    Just to follow-up on this...here's her response

14. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The negatives are safety. If that car is ever involved in one it will be totally destroyed. But the mileage is very compelling.

I recently witnessed a higher speed run red light full impact accident between a truck and a camry. The camry front half of car was totally gone and truck went right through it flipped and came to wrest nearly structurally unscathed.
  15. Faerluna

Faerluna I'm Complicated

5,143 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    When we get our next car, I'm really hoping we can get a Ford Escape hybrid. A friend of ours said one of his friends has one and loves it.
  16. Aikmaniac

Aikmaniac Well-Known Member

4,110 Messages
    134 Likes Received
    Driving defensively takes a whole new meaning with these babies.
  17. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,043 Messages
    3,280 Likes Received
    Mercury also makes a hybrid SUV...The mariner Hybrid.