1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Trade back in 1st and Trade up with 2 2nd Rounders might...

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by garyv, Mar 25, 2012.

1. garyv

garyv Active Member

1,410 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    Trade back in 1st and select Mark Barron than Trade up with 2 2nd Rounders back in the lower 1st Round and select Center Konz might be the best thing for the Boyz. Your thoughts ?
  2. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,786 Messages
    5,941 Likes Received
    It is not an unreasonable idea, but it's not my favorite senerio.

I'm concerned about Barron's coverage ability.

There are a lot of questions surrounding Konz. I would would really like to know if the blood-clot issue is really significant. He has not worked out other than bench press due to the ankle. His bench number of 18 was really dissappointing, especially considering that he is in the Wisconsin program. Does he fit into Callahan's zone scheme due to limited athleticism?

Also, if I had the choice of Konz in the 1st or Philip Blake in the 3rd/4th, I would pick Blake all day, every day. I'm sure this is a minority opinion.
  3. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,510 Messages
    877 Likes Received
    i was on this boat for a long time..i wouldnt be upset with this but i dont think this is the right course of action

i think we need to trade down at 14 and acquire another high end pick..2nd or 3rd rounder

however, this team has so many holes that need to be addressed immediately, that i cannot justify using multiple picks this year to move back into the 1st rd
  4. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,917 Messages
    340 Likes Received
  5. Cowboys22

Cowboys22 Well-Known Member

3,689 Messages
    431 Likes Received
    I like the scenario but not for Barron. If we could trade down and still get a pass rusher and then trade up Konz, I'd be happy.
  6. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,703 Messages
    3,197 Likes Received
    Trade up for a safety who's strength isn't vs the pass?

Hardy-har-har.
  7. brooksey1

brooksey1 Well-Known Member

1,583 Messages
    564 Likes Received

There is no reason trade anything at 14 if Barron is there and Decastro is not. Just take Barron in the first and Zeitler in the second. Konz is a more questionable pick in a trade scenario. Zeitler offers more value in the second as a guard who is learning the center position. Also Zeitler has been outperforming Konz in workouts.

Mark Barron has great very good cover skills, has a knack for interceptions. He led SEC in 2010 with 7 and plays hard in the box, exactly what we need. He is a very sure tackler, does not just go for the big hit, just brings a nice pop to the tackle.
  8. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,460 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    I don't know why, I just get the feeling that Whitney Mercilus will end up a Cowboy.
  9. brooksey1

1,583 Messages
    564 Likes Received
    I dont' see it at 14, he's a late first round pick.
  10. GloryDaysRBack

9,510 Messages
    877 Likes Received
    if you expect him to go late 1st then you are in for a big surprise..hes the hottest name of any pass rusher right now..hes soaring up boards
  11. TheSport78

8,460 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    Yeah I think if we trade back once into the late teens or early 20s, we could still land him. I think he goes in that area though.
  12. GloryDaysRBack

9,510 Messages
    877 Likes Received
    its possible..its also very possible hes gone in the 10-13 range..if we really want him we will take him at 14 if we are even lucky enough to have him available
  13. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,475 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    Vastly preferable to Mark Barron.
  14. brooksey1

1,583 Messages
    564 Likes Received

Hes a good player but the pass rusher in the 3-4 is Demarcus Ware on the weak side. To play the strong side you need the cover skills. Merc does not have the hips or footwork for top 15. I see him going 21-27 and for us this would be a trade down scenario to replace Anthony Spencer after we just tagged him? Could be a stretch. I think we need more help on defense at Safety and Nose tackle. I don't see Spears/Spencer as the problem. Why not draft a big nose in rds 4-6 (baptiste/Kitchen) and rotate Ratliff on the outside. Think about our inside LB's Lee/Carter/Conner. We are 230 lbs in the middle witha small nose? We should draft a big nose which means Ratliff should help on the end, which means we will probably not draft a DE or OLB in Rd 1.
  15. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,703 Messages
    3,197 Likes Received
    I like Pool and Sensi as safeties.

Coleman as a DE?

Not so much.

That's why I would rather see the team go front-7 in round 1.
  16. TheSport78

8,460 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    Yeah, I'm not going to lie, I have no idea how Mercilus is in coverage or against the run.
  17. GloryDaysRBack

9,510 Messages
    877 Likes Received
    agree and disagree

your argument against mercilus is spot on in respect to him playing on the strong side..

i completely disagree that tagging spencer even remotely hints that this team doesnt want to replace him..spencer is on a 1 year rental..if anything it means just the opposite..it means we are looking for his replacement..we werent sure we would be able to replace him this year, thus, we tagged him..better safe than sorry
  18. brooksey1

1,583 Messages
    564 Likes Received
    Spencer may be on one year rental for sure but last two tags were signed. We would have to improve on the edge and on pass coverage at that position to draft and he is not an upgrade over Spencer in coverage. Think about our middle.. we are small. We need help here, which means Ratliff may be available to help on the outside. We need a big nose and a safety. Brodney Pool is not the long term answer.
  19. GloryDaysRBack

9,510 Messages
    877 Likes Received
    completely agree w you on pool..definitely not the answer..

i am OK w barron..especially if we trade down and take him..im in favor of trading down at 14 no matter who is available
  20. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    I think it would be a mistake to take non premium positions in toil
    Nf 1 and 2 especially moving up and down to do so.