1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Trade back

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by fortdick, Apr 18, 2012.

1. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,425 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    Would anyone but me be pleased if we traded back, to say, get around #25 and #35 and took Konz and Fleener? Then Harrison Smith at 45.
  2. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    if cox and decastro are gone i would like like to trade back to 25 for shea mcclellin.
  3. JackWagon

JackWagon Well-Known Member

1,394 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    Only if Cox Decastro and Barron are all gone at 14. If all 3 are gone then Im fine with trading back.

The real question i think is gonna be do we pick Barron or Decastro. I think Cox is definately gone.
  4. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Yeah, I would have a pretty gigantic problem with it. Goose said there are only 21 first round caliber players in this draft, and there's a huge plateau between the mid 20s and the 60s. There's not much difference between the guys drafted in the late 20's and the guys who will be drafted early round 3.

If Cowboys fall all the way back to 25, this will be another "We're trading back just for the sake of trading back to pick up backups and special teamers" draft. Jerry is usually good for one of those every 10 years or so, but I'd rather not get such an early jump on it since it hasn't been that long since the 2009 draft.
  5. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

17,064 Messages
    7,996 Likes Received
  6. egn22

egn22 Well-Known Member

1,033 Messages
    398 Likes Received
    no, if we're not getting decastro with our first pick i want a game changer on defense.
  7. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

2,274 Messages
    483 Likes Received
    i really dont want to move back.
    Trading back and getting cute is when JJ is at his very WORST..

At 14 there will be very good players available.

DeCastro
    Cox(prob gone)
    Barron.

Stay put and take one of those guys and we cant go wrong.

Moving back we'll end up with a dud like Upshaw and ruage will be evident two years down the line.
  8. da_boyz_mk

da_boyz_mk How 'Bout Dem Cowboys

2,125 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree with this. For me I'm taking DeCastro over Barron at 14. In a trade down there are a lot of names to consider.

Cordy Glenn,Shae McClellan,Courtney Upshaw,Dontari Poe,
    Dre Kirkpatrick,Stephon Gilmore,Harrison Smith. I would be OK with one of these in the twenties somewhere.
  9. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    The numbers don't work to end up with #25, #35, and #45. To drop from #14 to #25 would take a high second round pick, at a minimum, and the only team that is picking late in the round with enough ammo to do it is New England. They could trade #27 and multiple second or third rounders to make the offer, but it's the exact opposite of what they normally do.

As such, you're talking about having to make multiple trades with multiple teams, and that's just too difficult to predict. Add in that it looks like Harrison Smith may get into the late first, and it becomes incredibly unlikely.

Now if NE wanted to package both first rounders to move up, I'd have to think about it, even though we'd likely have to give them something back. And a trade back to around #25 that included next year's first would likewise have to be considered. But aside from that, I just don't see it.
  10. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

36,393 Messages
    2,780 Likes Received
    I worked out a trade with New England in a recent Mock for both of their 1st. It was not straight up, it was about 60 points difference in our Favor but if they coveted somebody, like say a Barron, then it might well be worth it to them. They need Safety help badly. That could be a possibility. I would not bet on it but it does make a certain amount of sense.
  11. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Aye, actually considered such a move in my latest mock that I'm working on. I actually have New England doing what they normally do,trading one of their first rounders for a high second and fifth this year and a second next year from Cleveland, who move up to grab the sliding QB Ryan Tannehill. With the other first rounder, they take Harrison Smith to meet that safety need. :D
  12. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

4,415 Messages
    1,779 Likes Received
    Making a trade in a mock is certainly not what a real GM would do...I can't see the Pats trading both of their #1's to get to #14, but ih? who knows?
  13. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,571 Messages
    2,045 Likes Received
    I have a problem with taking Fleener, yes. Swap in McClellin and call that a helluva draft.