1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Trade down Mock w/ the most logical team!

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by CowboyHawg2012, Apr 19, 2012.

1. CowboyHawg2012

CowboyHawg2012 New Member

65 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Cowboys trade down with the.....Bengals! if stephon gilmore or dre kirkpatrick are still available at 14, I think the Bengals would be willing to deal one of their 1st rounders as well as their 2nd and 4th. In this case I'm going to take their 21st pick instead and add the the 53rd pick and the 116 overall pick and possibly grab a 2013 extra pick in the process.

1st(21overall)- Dont'a Hightower: Immediate impact player. Provides insurance if Bruce Carter doesnt pan out inside and a replacement for Spencer when we boot his *** to the curb. Has the pedigree, desire, heart, and leadership that I desperately want from an impact LB

2nd(45overall)- Kevin Zeitler: Here is the guard to help the offensive line. What I think is not being mentioned is Zeitler played with Nagy at Wisc. and could possibly help each other transition to the NFL. can step in and provide competition and brings the tough, blue collar approach all Wisconsin players have.

2nd(53overall): Derrick Wolfe: and Help for the DLine. Wolfe was an impact player for the Bearcats. Big East defensive player of the year, put up monster numbers on a mediocre defense w/ little help. could bring youth to the Dline and has motor and effort that I love.

3rd(81overall): Casey Heyward: Depth at corner. I think he is very underrated and he has phenomenal ball skills. Hounds recievers and has a nose for the ball. provides depth for Scandrick and Jenkins.

4th(113overall): Mike Martin: Another blue collar Dlinemen. Stout, built like a tree stump and incredibly strong. has good speed for his size to push the pocket in 4-3 sets and can hold point of attack at end in 3-4.

4th(116overall): Joe Adams: Savvy route runner, fast, and from the Jones' favorite school. Good slot, helps special teams immediately. can blow open the middle of the field creating space for underneath routes for Witten and others. solid after the catch.

4th(135overall): Michael Egnew: Once a very highly rated TE, struggles with consistency but has all the tools to be a very good player at next level. Comes in and can learn from Witten while providing a pass catching threat from the TE spot immediately

5th(152overall):Brandon Lindsey: I really like what i see out of him on film in terms of potential. I really think he's got a lot of potential. He's got more athleticism compared to football skill. has the skill set to be a very productive LB that can cover.

Just doing 5 rounds. Would anyone have problems with this?
  2. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Just a couple of thoughts.

I personally like Hightower, but there is a lot of debate around the league about whether or not he can be an elite pass-rusher at OLB in a 3-4. Some think he can do it, others think he is a middle of the field player primarily. As such, you'd have to be really convicted that he can replace Spencer before you pull the trigger, as you can't draft a first-rounder as "insurance" after spending high draft picks at ILB in the last two drafts.

I like Derrick Wolfe, and he is climbing the boards. However, I'll be shocked if he goes in the second round. I think the Cowboys could get him in the third.

Joe Adams is sliding on some boards. He didn't have a very good pro day, and was significantly slower than many scouts expected after the work he put in at the Senior Bowl. Having said that, he wouldn't be a bad pick-up if he's still available in round 4, as he can provide production from the slot as well as return ability. But he may not last that long.
  3. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,726 Messages
    3,470 Likes Received
    Good trade. See pick analysis below.

1st(21overall)- Dont'a Hightower: Immediate impact player. Provides insurance if Bruce Carter doesnt pan out inside and a replacement for Spencer when we boot his *** to the curb. Has the pedigree, desire, heart, and leadership that I desperately want from an impact LB
    Hightower has very limited athleticism. I see him as a Bradie James clone. He will blow up some RBs and take on Guards, but has no range and can't cover. He doesn't compare well to other pass-rushers in this draft. OLB measureables: http://www.walker-texas.com/2012-top-olb.jpg

2nd(45overall)- Kevin Zeitler: Here is the guard to help the offensive line. What I think is not being mentioned is Zeitler played with Nagy at Wisc. and could possibly help each other transition to the NFL. can step in and provide competition and brings the tough, blue collar approach all Wisconsin players have.
    Safe pick with limited upside.

2nd(53overall): Derrick Wolfe: and Help for the DLine. Wolfe was an impact player for the Bearcats. Big East defensive player of the year, put up monster numbers on a mediocre defense w/ little help. could bring youth to the Dline and has motor and effort that I love.
    I like this player. CowboysZone was ahead of the analysts on this one.

3rd(81overall): Casey Heyward: Depth at corner. I think he is very underrated and he has phenomenal ball skills. Hounds recievers and has a nose for the ball. provides depth for Scandrick and Jenkins.
    Too early. I think you can get him in the 5th. Not physical enough to play man coverage in the NFL, IMO. Limited speed.

4th(113overall): Mike Martin: Another blue collar Dlinemen. Stout, built like a tree stump and incredibly strong. has good speed for his size to push the pocket in 4-3 sets and can hold point of attack at end in 3-4.
    I really like this player, but he would be best as a 1-gap 4-3 DT. He is short with short arms for a 3-4 DE.

4th(116overall): Joe Adams: Savvy route runner, fast, and from the Jones' favorite school. Good slot, helps special teams immediately. can blow open the middle of the field creating space for underneath routes for Witten and others. solid after the catch.
    Ok if Broyles is off the board.

4th(135overall): Michael Egnew: Once a very highly rated TE, struggles with consistency but has all the tools to be a very good player at next level. Comes in and can learn from Witten while providing a pass catching threat from the TE spot immediately
    Ok, need a TE somewhere.

5th(152overall):Brandon Lindsey: I really like what i see out of him on film in terms of potential. I really think he's got a lot of potential. He's got more athleticism compared to football skill. has the skill set to be a very productive LB that can cover.
    Ok. Quick 1st step but on the short side (6'1.5") for a 3-4 OLB.
  4. CowboyHawg2012

65 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    with regards to Hightowers athleticism, we dont need him to be a cover linebacker.... he is a brick wall in the run game and the strength of Lee and Carter was that they have the skill set to cover guys down field. Hightower has more upside to him too because of that knee injury and showed improvement every year at bama.
    In a division where McCoy ran all over our defense, the giants like to pound the run game to open up their passing in 3 reciever sets, and Mike S loves to run the ball with different RB's to open up play action, I set stopping the run very high on our priorities and Hightower is a phenomenal Run stopper that can hold the point of attack regardless if its from the ILB or SOLB position
  5. CowboyHawg2012

65 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Im am very very convinced in my mind that he might not be flashy, but in 3-4 years, we would be saying that Hightower was the best 1st round pick we have had since Ware. Just a pure football player whose attitude permeates throughout the defense
  6. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,726 Messages
    3,470 Likes Received
    Better than Tyron Smith?
  7. CowboyHawg2012

65 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Whoops....got me there. i'll rephrase that. Best Defensive 1st rounder we've taken since Ware....and 2nd best player behind Tyron