1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Trade Spencer and Trade back

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by supercowboy8, Jan 30, 2013.

1. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,192 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    This is just for fun and no I do not believe this will happen or could happen.
    This is more to show the players that I really like.

Now I wouldn't trade back just to trade back but at 18 I don't think there will be any game changers left to take and all the players at the top will have similar grades.

I do believe by the time the 18th pick comes around, if Richardson, Floyd, Cooper, and other top prospects are gone then trade back a few times and do the following.
    Also I do not think resigning Spencer is a good deal. At 29 and coming off his best and year and switching to a 4-3, long term I don't like it. I would rather franchise him and trade him for a 3rd and 4th. I think we will also get a comp pick for losing Bennett.

2nd Datone Jones Perfect SDE in a tampa 2. Played 4-3 DE and DT and last year played 3-4 DE. Can hold up against double teams and stuff the run and also can get arounfd the edge a get pressure.

2nd Dallas Thomas Can play LG, RG, or RT and gives us option. After releasing Free we can not trust Parnell. Have to get a back up but if Parnell shows he is a starter, Thomas can play OG.

3rd Brandon Williams Perfect 1 tech for the Tampa 2

3rd Jonathon Cyprien Can you say play making hard hitting safety. Great size and speed and can play either safety spot.

3rd OG Brian Winters PLayed LT in college but is a perfect zone blocking OG

4th Stepfan Taylor Perfect back up and change of pace. Garrett type of player

4th David Quessenberry Played all positions on the OL. Will not be a OT in the NFL but has the potential to play center in a zone blocking scheme.

4th Gerald Hodges Will compete for the starting SOLB spot in the Tampa 2 defense. Also a former safety.

5th Ace Sanders With Harris being the new #3 he will not be able to return punts as much and Ace sanders is a special teams playmaker and can fly down the field and good in the slot.

6th Kyle Juszczyk A Garrett guy here, from Harvard, smart hard working leader that can block and set the edge and the second level for the RB.
  2. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,866 Messages
    195 Likes Received
    I don't think franchising him is realistic. I know you think if we dangle him out there some team will bite early, but you have to consider that the 31 other teams know we can't afford to hold him and they may be content to wait until we are forced to remove the tag. And God forbid he signs it, which I think means we cannot negotiate a long term deal with him and he counts the 10+ million on our cap. Both scenarios would be very bad and have us looking like fools, and I doubt we even consider franchising him unless we hit the deadline and are very close to a deal (which then gives Spencer a ton of leverege).
  3. supercowboy8

5,192 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    Or a team could see that they can take him with out being in a price war with other teams and all they have to give up are a 3rd and 4th to get him. You have to think about it that way to. If he is free to walk then he goes to the highest bidder. If a team with not as much cap space as another team has will be happy to give up picks besides being in a price war.
  4. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,866 Messages
    195 Likes Received
    you're looking at this in a vacum and that's why you're coming to the wrong conclusion.

If we franchise him with the intent to trade him, Spencer's agent will still shop him around to get the best financial deal. Let's say NE wants to go back to a 3-4 and is interested in him, we only ask for a 4th, but a contract would still need to be worked out. They or any team, won't give up a 3rd or 4th for 1 year, they'll want a multi year deal.

So in the end, teams will still get caught in a bidding war. NE only wants to pay him 7 per, the Jets then show intrest and want to pay him 8 per, then the cards get in and want to pay him 9 per.

And eventually once his market value is determined and you know you're gonna have to pay the same 10/11 million that you would pay if he were on the open market, you then start playing the waiting game. Especially if you become Spencer's team of choice.

Franchising him and trading him is really only viable if we can absorb the charge w/o altering our offseason plans, which is not the case. So either we resign him or lose him and *hope* for a comp pick, which is entirely dependent on how many free agents we sign/lose and I personally think we will sign more than we lose.
  5. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,289 Messages
    1,236 Likes Received
    noway will this team get a comp pick with players like Carr, Livings, Bernadeau starting all yr for dallas
  6. supercowboy8

5,192 Messages
    275 Likes Received

Sorry but I still think your wrong. I think a team will want him and as teams get in a bidding war for him they will start getting in a bidding war with draft picks. Someone will trade for him so I have no worries of being stuck with him under the tag. If a team wants him they will trade for him.
  7. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,204 Messages
    602 Likes Received
    That was last year, bro.
  8. Common Sense

Common Sense Well-Known Member

1,438 Messages
    448 Likes Received
    Haha, hey, uh, that's how compensatory picks work, brahhh.
  9. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,891 Messages
    5,516 Likes Received
    The Cowboys won't get any comp picks. They signed more than they lost last offseason.
  10. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,204 Messages
    602 Likes Received
    Thought LM was talking about comp picks if we let go of spencer
  11. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,515 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    Like everything about this draft except the 2nd pick. There will probably be a better OL option to take at that point (probably Warford).
  12. supercowboy8

5,192 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    We have talked about this before. I don't thinner warford fits in Dallas. He days he wants to be a RG only and doesn't fit in the zone blocking scheme.
  13. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,189 Messages
    3,015 Likes Received
    Solid draft, I like the picks.

Brandon Williams is quick for his size, but he's going to have to lose weight from 341 lbs down to about 325 lbs to fit in the Kiffin scheme, IMO.

I'm surprised that more fans/analysts aren't higher on Dallas Thomas. He will be drafted as a OG due to short arms (32"), but could serve as the starting OG and emergency or game-day backup at OT.

I'm not certain about Spencer having trade value. The Pats did it with Matt Cassel, but I can't remember any others; although, I'm sure it has happened.

14. L-O-Jete

L-O-Jete Member

885 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    5 of the top 7 including the top 3 at or close to 300 lbs. I like.