1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Trade up for Green Bay's pick?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Tass, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Tass

Tass Lucky Devil

1,861 Messages
    85 Likes Received
    Our 1st, 3rd and next year's 1st to move up and draft Hawk? What do you think?
  2. CowboyWay

CowboyWay If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State

4,171 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    No way in a million years.
  3. lkelly

lkelly Well-Known Member

1,968 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    I think that would be giving up a ton to draft a linebacker in the top 5. Look back and see how many linebackers have been drafted in the top 5 in the last 15 years. Most teams trade away the farm to pick a franchise QB.
  4. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,024 Messages
    407 Likes Received
    You forgot to include the farm..................
  5. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hawk isnt worth 2 #1 picks

David
  6. Tass

Tass Lucky Devil

1,861 Messages
    85 Likes Received
    I concede your point, but Hawk looks like the best LB prospect to come along in 20 years. I guess we'll know in 3 or 4 years if he would have been worth it.
  7. Tass

Tass Lucky Devil

1,861 Messages
    85 Likes Received

LOL...yep, he's no Joey Galloway that's for sure. ;)
  8. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

9,868 Messages
    569 Likes Received
    I'll be very, very surprised if we don't trade *down* this year. I think its merely a matter of finding a partner.

No way we're moving up.
  9. lkelly

lkelly Well-Known Member

1,968 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    I think he's a good LB, but let's not get carried away. Poz beat him out for the Butkus award and the Bednarik award, Dumervil beat him out for the Nagurski award, and he also played on a defense littered with draft picks.
  10. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,370 Messages
    1,401 Likes Received

This time last year, people were saying the same thing about Ahmad Brooks. Now, a team can probably draft him in the supplemental for just a 1st or 2nd. Maybe less, who knows. Lavar Arrington is the best LB prospect that has come out in recent years IMO and I don't think he was worth what the Skins spent on him. I would never consider giving up multiple 1st for him, not to mention the 3rd. Draft is way too deep at the LB position. Teams are going to be able to get excellent players in the third this year, at LB IMO.
  11. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy Well-Known Member

32,162 Messages
    133 Likes Received
    Great point......that was an awesome investment to the future!:bang2:
  12. gbrittain

gbrittain Well-Known Member

5,094 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    The best way to get a top 10 pick is to be a bottom 10 team. Anything outside of that and you get raked over the coals to move up.
  13. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

10,129 Messages
    1,389 Likes Received
    The only way I could see us ending up with Hawk (which I would love to), is if he slides somehow and is sitting there at like pick #11... something like that. That wouldn't require that terribly much to trade up to. If Parcells and company like him enough to trade up 7 spots or so... then I wouldn't be upset about it.

I could see him sliding a little too. LB's usually tend to slide a little beyond what they're ability says. Although he'd never make it past Cleveland, I doubt. Don't they pick 12th?
  14. PacoReloaded

PacoReloaded New Member

366 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    How about... no.
  15. MadCow

MadCow Member

463 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Fool me once... shame on you!
    Fool me twice... shame on me!!

Two 1st rd draft picks for A.J. Hawk? Good player but no. The Cowboys will not be made the fool again.

:starspin
  16. Tass

Tass Lucky Devil

1,861 Messages
    85 Likes Received
    Yeah, you guys are right. Too many good LBs this year to give up anything for one. People made the argument that Carpenter is overrated because he played with Hawk...maybe the reverse is true? Or maybe they were both the beneficiaries of playing with each other?
  17. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

8,606 Messages
    298 Likes Received
    Hell no.

We do not trade multiple players for a single player ... unless you're talking about 5, 6, and 7th rounders.

But no way do we trade 2 firsts and a third for one player.

We did that once, bit us in the butt. Set us back for 5 years.
  18. EastCoastLawnmowers

EastCoastLawnmowers New Member

28 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    if anything trade down to with GB and get a 1st next yr, like dallas did with the bills.
  19. the kid 05

the kid 05 Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds

9,538 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    if we do how do we draft brady quinn?
  20. JerryFan

JerryFan Active Member

1,243 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    not in a million years would I do that trade. ive watched an awful lot of Ohio St football because I love the way they play. I personally don't think AJ is much better if any better then Carpenter. I would be completly shocked if we go LB in round 1 that Carpenter isnt the guy we pick. He can do everything and then some. He's mean,fast, big,strong and plays with an attitude you cant teach to linebackers. he can put his hand on the ground and rush from the DE spot, or stand up and blow people up.